Vacuum cleaner

Sandie

I am the worst at picking out a good vacuum. Can anyone recommend a compact vacuum with attachments that actually work? One thats good on carpet and floors. Thanks

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sandie, if your looking for a lightweight, inexpensive and good performing vac to keep in the RV, I recommend the Hoover Cyclonic Nano.
Long story short, we've replaced a Dyson DC14 Animal and an old Oreck. One at home and one in the RV with the Nano. Only $55 at Wally World.
It has good fit & finish of the components, no bag and basic attachments.

CLICK ME

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Picked up a small Bissell vac at Walmart for $35. We were really surprised at how powerful it was. A week at the beach and we tracked in a lot of sand. Worked great. No bag and light weight.

Sandie

Yes I am looking for the RV and thanks, I'll be going there later today actually.

ericandalice

Senior Question Asker
Sandie, we just bought a compact Hoover at Walmart. We are so impressed with it. It has the cyclone technology. It's bag less and the bottom swings open so the dirt goes straight down into the trash.

With a big furry dog, 2 long haired cats and the dust from camping, the built in wasn't cutting is. Shame I wasted so much money on it. This new vac sucks up dog fur without a problem.

And we're amazed at how clean, soft and fluffy the. Carpet gets. Don't tell Eric, but I actually like vacuuming now.

I'm going to do a video for our blog because it's that amazing. I vacuumed with the built in vac and then vacuumed immediately with the Hoover. It was shocking how much stuff it picked up.

It has a lever you press with your foot to turn it on and another to turn it to bare floor mode. That works well on the kitchen floor in rig.

The hose is clear so you can see any clogs. And it only weighs 12 pounds. Amazingly light and easy to maneuver. I think it was about $50.

Sandie

Ok... Well I picked up the Eureka Rally 2 canister vac simply because I can do the steps without using attachments and it does not have the thingy that goes around and around in the bottom as so much hair gets tangled up in there and then it won't work. Instead it has a straight brush that lifts and loosens the dirt and the suction area. Now if hair gets in the brush, I can just pull it loose and it sucks it right up. Just thinking this may work better for us, but saving box and receipt just in case.

Bobby A

Sandie, if your looking for a lightweight, inexpensive and good performing vac to keep in the RV, I recommend the Hoover Cyclonic Nano.
Long story short, we've replaced a Dyson DC14 Animal and an old Oreck. One at home and one in the RV with the Nano. Only $55 at Wally World.
It has good fit & finish of the components, no bag and basic attachments.

CLICK ME

UPDATE,
Well Lisa and I just got through test driving the Nano, 2 thumbs up I might add. First I took my 8 year Kenmore bagged upright to the carpet, than the Nano, we were surprised how much dog hair the nano picked up after the Kenmore. We are sold !! for 50 bucks these are throw away vacuums, I'd buy one every year for that price. Thanks Ray, I'm gonna send you the extra cash that I would of spent on a Oreak or Shark or Dyson, checks in the mail !! LOL We are back in Port Richey, give me a call if you need anything.
Thanks again,
Bobby A

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
UPDATE,
Well Lisa and I just got through test driving the Nano, 2 thumbs up I might add. First I took my 8 year Kenmore bagged upright to the carpet, than the Nano, we were surprised how much dog hair the nano picked up after the Kenmore. We are sold !! for 50 bucks these are throw away vacuums, I'd buy one every year for that price. Thanks Ray, I'm gonna send you the extra cash that I would of spent on a Oreak or Shark or Dyson, checks in the mail !! LOL We are back in Port Richey, give me a call if you need anything.
Thanks again,
Bobby A
Bobby, Thanks for the report and glad you like the Nano. We did the same test against our Dyson with the same result.
We'll be leaving here in about 6 weeks. The only thing I'm hoping for is that everything in the Bighorn works when we get down there. I'm assuming the battery will be low or dead so we'll have to plug it in first thing.
Thanks for the offer, if I think of anything, I'll call. Hows your recovery/therapy doing?

teamMCL

We have the central vac and am wondering if any one has had problems with it. Only 2 years old in our 5ER and have used it a total of 2 times but am wondering if they die an early death?

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I love my central vac I have had it now going on 7 years and I have 4 dogs it works very good for me . Kenny did buy me a air driven power head that fits on the end of the hose it works great too.. I think I shed more then my dogs cause when I clean it,it is long red hair not short.. LOL!!

porthole

Retired
We have the central vac and am wondering if any one has had problems with it. Only 2 years old in our 5ER and have used it a total of 2 times but am wondering if they die an early death?

We use the central frequently but use a compact upright for the clean before packing vacuum. And like others mention, a good compact upright will pick up quite bit more then either the central or some full size vacs.

Ours was a $50 compact "cyclone" type from Costco. Figure if it gives up the ghost to keeping up with two Golden's and a cat in a year, no big deal. That was 3-4 years ago.

guyc66

Our central vac has great suction power but is a little difficult manuvering the hose around the bedroom. The hose always seems to be pulling back against you while vacuuming so I get aggravated quickly. After reading this thread a month or so ago I talked the wife into buying the Hoover Nano. I was hooked after the first test drive........works awesome and is small enough to get around the bed, etc. hard to beat the $56 price considering it performs as good (if not better) than other vacuums several times the cost. Highly recommend for those who are looking for a good alternative to central vacs. (I wanted one of those Dyson Stick vacs but just couldn't justify the $350 price tag)

DuaneG

We love our Dyson. We bought the one designed for people who have animals and the attachments were designed for getting the hair off of everything. Ours is purple, but not sure about the others.

It doesn't need any bags and all filters can be washed, dried and put back in so there are no extra costs.

It was higher priced than many, but I have tried other vacuums and then went over it with our Dyson to see what it could do. It picked up stuff the first one missed. That made me a believer.

DandJochs

We picked up a a Dirt Devil Pet Saver at Wal Mart for about $80.00. The handle folds down for easy storage in the closet and the cleaning head fits perfect between the bed and the wall in our Sundance 3270 RES.

jimtoo

Hi BruceHammerson,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Jim M

Jimsryker

Been looking for something since just stowing and organizing the hose with the on board Dirt Devil is such a pain. I looked on the Hoover web site and the reviews class the Hoover Nano with 2 stars. The majority of the reviews give it 1 star. This could always be user errior so I'm wondering if anyone who posted here has experienced any of the "6 month failures" after buying?