Restoring the plastic components and what type of wax to use......

JeremyN

Everyone,

I am not sure I am posting this in the correct section, but I figure someone will move it if it isn't! :)

I have done a good job on keeping up with the cleaning on my TT, but the plastic components seem to be discoloring a little. What I mean by plastic components is the electric cord plastic hole, the outside shower box, and the fender skirts. There seems to be some discoloration that is turning these a slight off-white color. My city water connection hookup and my black water tank hookup are also doing this (but this could be just from my hands being dirty).

Is there a product out there that will return the white to all of these parts? The regular soap that I use doesn't seem to be cutting it.

Also, what kind of wax do all you guys use? I used Turtle Wax the last time, but I wasn't too happy with how it lasted. I just wanted to check and see if any other brands that you guys like better.

Thanks.

GOTTOYS

Best solution on the faded white parts would be to spray paint them with Krylon Fusion paint. It's made specifically for plastic and has good adhesion. Take the parts off, lightly scuff them with a Scotchbrite pad, wipe them off with a solvent to remove any wax and spray them. Nothing else will make them return to white. I use Nu-Finish or Rejex on my trailer but nothing on the decals....Don

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Don is correct. Nothing will bring back the white. I used Krylon Fusion on the window frame in the door, outside Light fixtures and the outside shower frame. I was really surprised on how fast the plastic parts started to yellow. Looks great now!

Vtxkid

Best solution on the faded white parts would be to spray paint them with Krylon Fusion paint. It's made specifically for plastic and has good adhesion. Take the parts off, lightly scuff them with a Scotchbrite pad, wipe them off with a solvent to remove any wax and spray them. Nothing else will make them return to white. I use Nu-Finish or Rejex on my trailer but nothing on the decals....Don

Don, save your decals and use Aerospace 303 on them... you know they ain't cheap!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Manzan

Neither is the Aerospace 303 but I sure like it! Does a great job on any oxidised plastic like the mirrors on my Suburban. Even put it on my battery boxes.

GOTTOYS

Don, save your decals and use Aerospace 303 on them... you know they ain't cheap!

I added the "missing decal" yesterday after they damaged one when it was painted. Then I got to see the marginal job that was done installing the others. There's a few wrinkles that you can see when close to them. I'll probably end up replacing those when the loose part of the wrinkle starts to crack and fall off. They really don't cost that much. The whole set for the front cap was around $80.00. Might just order a set to have as spares. I've heard the 303 works good might have to try it...Don

Vtxkid

I added the "missing decal" yesterday after they damaged one when it was painted. Then I got to see the marginal job that was done installing the others. There's a few wrinkles that you can see when close to them. I'll probably end up replacing those when the loose part of the wrinkle starts to crack and fall off. They really don't cost that much. The whole set for the front cap was around $80.00. Might just order a set to have as spares. I've heard the 303 works good might have to try it...Don

Sorry to hear they didn't do a very good job installing your decal set... 303 has spf40 which is great for protecting those decals...

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Sorry to hear they didn't do a very good job installing your decal set... 303 has spf40 which is great for protecting those decals...

Nice, I may have to start putting it on my face! :eek:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Krylon Fusion is what I used. A magic Eraser will remove some of it.

Kenny, you are not suppose to drink it. A little bondo and some face make up from Kat will work.

ZNK

Covering the rig while its not being used can also help the discoloration. I have mine covered up and have not noticed much discoloration. However, my city water cover and cable cover the rubber is no longer white. It can be cleaned up a bit but I have not been able to return it to the level it was when it was new.