ATF: ElkRidge - Axle Question

CeeCee

Just purchased Elkridge ER 28TSRE in July (2012) had to have the rear axle replaced. After replacing the rear axle the front axle still has a much larger arch than the rear axle. Is that normal for the rear axle to be much straighter than the front? All my previous RV's the axles were the same.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
CeeCee, both axle should have the same arch while "unloaded". What was the initial problem with the rear axle that caused the need for replacement?

CeeCee

Ray,
We really don't know what the problem was. They said it may have lost it's camber. It was totally level. The front axle has a very noticable different arch than the rear one that was replaced.

CeeCee, both axle should have the same arch while "unloaded". What was the initial problem with the rear axle that caused the need for replacement?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
CeeCee, for the record, I would mention your concerns to your dealer, just to make them aware of the situation. If they do nothing, just keep an eye on the tires for abnormal wear, especially on the edges. make sure all 4 tires are inflated properly to the specs on the VIN label or the side of the tire.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Did they replace the back axle with the same mfg as the front? There should be a large white sticker in the middle of the axle tube with the manufacturer's name and a bunch of info on it. They should both be either Dexter or Lippert. If you can, take pics of the labels (both) and post here and/or you can call Heartland directly with your VIN, and they can tell you what axles you should have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CeeCee

Yes, they did replace it with the same manufacturer (Lippert). The RV is at a dealers now for other things. Guess I will call them & have them look at the front axle. Like I said they definitely don't match. I was really hoping that the factory would comment on my post.

Did they replace the back axle with the same mfg as the front? There should be a large white sticker in the middle of the axle tube with the manufacturer's name and a bunch of info on it. They should both be either Dexter or Lippert. If you can, take pics of the labels (both) and post here and/or you can call Heartland directly with your VIN, and they can tell you what axles you should have.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
CeeCee,

To get a faster factory response, I would call Heartland customer service. It's best to have pictures to be able to send, so they can see the issue and offer solutions.

CeeCee

I just called Heartland Customer Service. I spoke with a very nice guy. He said to have the dealership take pictures & email them to Lippert. This way we'll have something in writing. I have been dealing with Harolds RV for my service & they have been great. Customer service really has been above & beyond at that dealership. Hopefully Lippert will take care of this!