60A to 30AMP

frano

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes. I have a 220V/60 AMP welding outlet in my home garage that I'd like to use to power my 30 AMP 2012 Edge trailer. I know that I don't want to send 220V/60 AMPs through the trailer cord but would like to know if there an adapter made to reduce the 220V/60A to 115V/30A for this purpose? Thanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The welder outlet and the RV outlet are two different animals.
I do not know of any adapter for that.
One option would be to have an experienced electrician tap into the power that is available. He could then add a dedicated 30 amp receptacle.
The circuit would need to be protected by a 30 amp breaker, not the existing breaker.
I don't intend to be mean, but of you had to ask this question, it is not a DIY project. Sorry, be safe.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
This is probably a stupid question, but here goes. I have a 220V/60 AMP welding outlet in my home garage that I'd like to use to power my 30 AMP 2012 Edge trailer. I know that I don't want to send 220V/60 AMPs through the trailer cord but would like to know if there an adapter made to reduce the 220V/60A to 115V/30A for this purpose? Thanks.

Fran,

The Short answer is - NO there is no adapter made for this purpose. Now for the longer answer - this is possible as long as you understand what you are doing. I assume that the welder is 60A 240V three phase. and that there are 4 separate elements ( holes ) in the Plug - indicating that the plug is wired with 4 wires ( 2 hot ( one for each phase ), one neutral, and one ground )

If my assumption is correct then it is easy to make a adapter to transition from one to the other. Send me a photo of the plug and I will send you a list of what you need to make the adapter. If there are only three wires ( and three prongs ) then it may not be possible to safely make an adapter and I would call an Electrician.

GOTTOYS

You cannot easily make an adapter for this. You are comparing apples and oranges. Your 60 amp plug has 240 volts...it will fry every circuit in your trailer. You need a 30 amp 120 volt circuit. If you don't have a good understanding of what you are doing leave it alone. My advice is call an electrician, tell him you want a 120 volt 30 amp circuit installed, pay him to do it and don't risk damaging something...Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Short answer....NO. Get an electrician to install a dedicated circuit for your trailer. Trail and error will fry something or worse yet YOU.

brianharrison

There is a commerical adapter to go 220v to 110v - but probably not the welding end needed--> http://www.refreshyourhome.com/new-steamer-windows/220-110V-CONVERTER.html

Here is another one with a twist lock (again not the end needed) --> http://generacresidentialgenerators.blogspot.ca/2011/06/dek-240v-twist-lock-adapter.html

As Kevin says - the 4 wire/prong is the only way to go as it will have the neutral and ground wire in the circuit. Here is a pic of a 4 wire range outlet (220V); similar but cannot confirm it is the same as your current welder outlet.

Attachments

• 4prong_range_outlet.jpg
    4prong_range_outlet.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 36

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Another thought....
If you have a a 60amp 220volt circuit for a welder you have the option to make a 50amp service with out any problem. It seems to us that you are not knowledgeble to make up any of these adaptions.

If you some day get a bigger 50amp trailer you will need a 50amp service, or if a friend drops by with a 50amp trailer he can use the service without a problem. You can use a 50 to 30 amp adapter to connect your trailer. You could use the adapter when you travel to some campgrounds if necessary.

Your 30amp main breaker will protect your trailer. I would still use a surge protrector, Surge Guard or Progressive.

Again. Get an electrician to make the electrical outlet up. Do not do it yourself.

BC

frano

Fran,

The Short answer is - NO there is no adapter made for this purpose. Now for the longer answer - this is possible as long as you understand what you are doing. I assume that the welder is 60A 240V three phase. and that there are 4 separate elements ( holes ) in the Plug - indicating that the plug is wired with 4 wires ( 2 hot ( one for each phase ), one neutral, and one ground )

If my assumption is correct then it is easy to make a adapter to transition from one to the other. Send me a photo of the plug and I will send you a list of what you need to make the adapter. If there are only three wires ( and three prongs ) then it may not be possible to safely make an adapter and I would call an Electrician.

Thanks Kevin. The welder outlet is 3 pronged.

recumbent615

Thanks for the inputs folks. Today's tasks will include hiring an electrician.

Fran,

Given the circumstances - that is the correct move - I would agree with the suggestion if you can get the electrician to just branch off a 50Amp RV plug on the same circuit - there are converters to go down to 30 amp and you would be ready for a new rig and/or temporary hookup of any visiting friends or family... My electrician insisted on a transfer switch to branch off of an existing power feed in my garage ( also for a welder ) so there was no overload possible... I found that it was cheaper to run new 50amp 2 phase 4 wire cable out to the garage .... but that depends on the distance to the main panel. Good Luck with your project.

Kevin

Last edited:

TXTiger

Agree. Go with a 50 amp and use a 50 to 30 converter. If in the future you get a new trailer with 50 amp you will already be set up, and if friends stop by with a 50 amp or 30 amp they will able to hook up. Lets us know when the upgrade is complete and we will all come over to hook up and use your electric service, lol lol lol.

GOTTOYS

Good idea. Now if you need someone to test it out this Winter for 2-3 months let me know. I might volunteer if the weather forecast is good..Don

recumbent615

Good idea. Now if you need someone to test it out this Winter for 2-3 months let me know. I might volunteer if the weather forecast is good..Don

Winter in Mass is not my favorite time to camp - but if you like to camp in the snow and cold - Fran has a fair amount of that out in the western part of the state!!!