Trail America Defective Tire Alert

Forrest Fetherolf

Shawn @ JCA (Trail America Distributor) advised today, TA tires with the DOT date of 2105 and 2205 (21st and 22nd week of 2005) were defective and he is in the process of replacing all tires with these dates.

If you have these tires, contact Shawn @ JCA (800) 921-8473.

I would recommend, if you had damage as a result of these tires failing, go for expense refund and tire replacement. I did, JCA paid for 5 Goodyear's G614 RST in exchange for my labor to R&R damage. Heartland was generous providing all necessary replacement parts @ no charge.

Between JCA's and Heartland's participation some of the sting was taken out of this mishap.

Good luck,
Forrest

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I can't believe I'm setting here after reading this post, wishing I had Trail America tires.:( ----Ken

Uncle Rog

I still have one of my TA's, using it as a parking bumper! I will check the date.......good job Forrest!

Forrest Fetherolf

Roger,

I still have all 5 T/A's leaning up against the fence with Dot 2105. Maybe I should have a raffle to defray my "Excedrin" headache expenses incurred during this ordeal.

If I had the winning numbers with power ball instead of losing numbers (2105) with T/A's, I might be in a position to buy all forum members Goodyears and Jim B. a replacement emergency brake-a-way switch!!!! //heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon2.gif :D :D :D

Forrest

Uncle Rog

Ken, if you had TA tires chances are you would be sitting by the side of the road like we were with a very unpleasant look on your face!
I am looking forward to checking my date of manufacture.
Mine were probably 2005 / 2305 with every thing being equal.....

jbeletti

Wow - great sleuthing Forrest! Thanks for sharing this data. I'd like to see some data from JCA on this. A letter or notice or something that I can scan and post. Let me know if you can obtain anything so we can formalize this even more.

Owner helping owners! Gotta love it.

Thanks,

Jim

Forrest Fetherolf

Jim B.

I'll search for info on the T/A's defective list. I'll be pulling to Puyallup, WA in a couple of weeks to visit family, I told Shawn @ JCA I would stop by their location in Puyallup.

For those with T/A's, Shawn is a good guy and was very helpful to work with. He saw the pictures, didn't try to pass the buck, and said JCA will cover the damage. If you have questions, give him a call.

Forrest

Uncle Rog

Checked my DOT date, 5105, no bueno it would appear. I might give them a call any way just to see if I have any other remedy.....

Forrest Fetherolf

Jim B. and Gang,

I spoke to Shawn @ JCA regarding any possible Trail America tire recall and known DOT dates of defective tires. He was unable to verify any massive recall at this time...........mmmmmmmmmmm, and no official documentation exists.

Most complaints were from Heartland product owners. The most defective tires DOT dates were around Dot 2005 to 2205. However, other Dot date complaints are handled on a one on one basis, that is, if the tire is defective and not just a normal flat.

My opinion, JAC is very concerned, just as the other China tire manufacturers were in the last big recall. They want to get the defective tires off the road as quickly as possible and maybe stay under the radar.

The more calls, the more complaints, the more possibility of a recall or at least damage recovery. Save your T/A's, they may be worth $$$ to help pay for the Goodyear's or Michelins.

I attempted to register with the NTSB, but Trail America was not listed and I couldn't find the Manufacturer on the list.

Forrest

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
calling jca

My dates of manufacture may not be 2105-2205, and I am 4 months out of the 1 yr warranty, but I will give Shawn a call. I think it is important he hears from as many people as possible, and there is no harm in trying to cover the damages,and I will feel better for trying to cover my loss. I have found sharp cracks in the sidewalls of 3 of 5 TA tires. I did order new GY tires today. Thank you, Forrest, for the info.

ct0218

Good work. I'm 500 miles away from my TA tires, but I'll see if Gail will crawl under there tomorrow and check our date code.

Gail checked today and mine are 5105 and 5205. Oh well!

Last edited:

Uncle Rog

I have sent documentation to JCA, confirmed receipt today, waiting to hear what they have to say. Both failures within the first 12 months should be worth something.....ya think?

Uncle Rog

Chopper you are correctimundo, as usual! However it would be nice to recoup some of the pesos I have had to lay out for the GY's, parts and of course there is the misery factor also. You, better than most, can understand my frustration of being on my annual trip and having to drive 120 miles for a spare, losing my starting time, tee-ing off three hours late AND I figure at least Four cervesas behind at the end of the weekend......bummer...........

jpmorgan37

Hunter;

Its the dot code. It is in an oval on the sidewall and it's four numbers. The first two numbers are the week of manufacture and the last two numbers are the year ie 2305, the 23rd week of 2005.

John

sjrellis

What tires are coming on new rv's from Heartland now? I'm hoping it isn't TA tires! I don't want to have to deal with tire problems....Don't you think they've had enough reports on them that they would have gotten a contract with a new tire manufacturer?

ChopperBill

sjrellis said:
What tires are coming on new rv's from Heartland now? I'm hoping it isn't TA tires! I don't want to have to deal with tire problems....Don't you think they've had enough reports on them that they would have gotten a contract with a new tire manufacturer?
Just make a deal with your dealer to swap 'em out. Dollars to donuts the Chinese tires will be on it.