Travel with blinds up or down?

Gracie4Camping

Do you travel with the blinds in your RV down and closed, or up? If so, is there a reason why? Thanks in advance for your response.

brianharrison

When I had the pleated day/night shades I would travel with them down - keeps sun out.

Now that I have the wood blinds I travel with them up - they are not anchored at the bottom and slam around in the side valences - knocked one side valence off on one trip.

Brian

sjs731

We have pleated and travel with them down. Keeps the sun out and when you park your rig and are away from it it keeps unwanted people from seeing what's inside.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We leave the shades down, just easier and keeps the UV out of the interior. Since we've replaced some of the shades with wood blinds, we keep the blinds up and secured with foam in the side valances to keep em from floppin. No reason other than to lessen the movement during travel. The day/night shades are held in place by the cords.

Last edited:

creeper

Shades up for southern states, states near boarders and crossing boarders. I was stopped crossing from canada and in ohio and asked if i was smuggling people and or drugs. In ohio I was detained for nearly a hour on Rt. 70 while they searched the RV. Since then I travel with the rears open and some of the sides.

pegmikef

Hot months we keep them down, milder months, we just leave them as they happen to be when we are jumping sites.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We travel with pleated shades down. If it's very hot we leave reflective foil panels in windows, as well. The rig is a bit cooler when we arrive and it limits sun fade of the interior. Trace

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
The only blinds we had were behind the kitchen sink and I put up an extension rod and hung up some nice little curtains, because the blinds drove nuts.

But when they were there, we kept them up while going down the road.

The pleaded blinds are usually up, except the one by the bed.

TXTiger

Travel with the pleated shades down. Keeps the sun out and the inside cooler. I also leave the windows closed. Would think if I left them open a lot of wind would blow in while traveling as well as dust and dirt from the road. Just thinking?

CTD2005

We keep the day/night shades down while traveling. Helps keep the sun out as well as any uninvited passer by's if we are stopped some where.

Gaffer

Pleated shades up enough in the back so the recliners do not rub. Same goes for the dining room table. At the couch up enough for the cat to see out

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We pull the pleated blinds down, but since the rear ones are now vertical blinds, they are open and tied (rubber bands) for transit so they don't swing all over. By next summer's season, all of the blinds will be replaced with verticals. Easier to operate, better light regulation, and the cat's love being able to stick their noses through them when they're closed.

On the subject of pleated day/night shades and adjusting the tension of the strings. While repairing one with a broken string, I found that simply loosening the screw on the tensioner knob was not enough since whoever installed it tied a knot that was nidden in it on both strings. No way to loosen the string without disassembling it and untying the knot. The only place a knot might be needed is near the end of the cords just so they don't get pulled completely through the tensioner and the blinds fall off.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Here is another thread on this same topic if you want more opinions.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/32405-Shades-Blinds?highlight=blinds

SailorDon

Do you travel with the blinds in your RV down and closed, or up? If so, is there a reason why? Thanks in advance for your response.

Sometimes with blinds up, sometimes with blinds down.
No reason other than that was the way they were when departing from the last campsite or other stop.