ATF: MPG - Can I leave Propane Tank Open?

mtran868

I rarely use my propane tanks on my 2011 MPG. Is it ok to leave the knob on top of the bottle open? Or do I need to close the knob every time I'm done with it?

If i leave the knob open, the gas will stay in the line and be stopped at the stove, right?

Tombstonejim

The only time I have ever shut mine off is when required by certain tunnels. I have it running the refigerator most of the other times.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Make sure when you turn the tank on you turn it far enough open to "backseat" the valve"!
Rick, I remember you mentioning this in a previous thread. I have to admit, this is something I've never heard of. While I understand the theory/concept, I've been through 2 different training sessions for filling LP bottles and this has never been mentioned by the trainer. Can you tell me where you learned this technique?
For as long as I've been using propane, I've always opened the valve fully then backed down a quarter turn or so. This was taught to me in the Navy for any valve.

TXTiger

I attended the fire safety seminar at the Gillette Rally last summer. The fire safety guy suggested that you never travel with the propane on. He sold and I purchased a little battery operated fan that goes inside the refer to keep it cool for a day or two of travel. I have seen this same fan at my RV dealers parts department. Now I always turn off the propane before I hook up and move.

pegmikef

Some turn it off when traveling, some don't. When camping, we leave it open the whole time as do most, I think. That way the stove and oven are ready for use when needed as are the hot water heater (if using gas) and furnace.

rick_debbie_gallant

Rick, I remember you mentioning this in a previous thread. I have to admit, this is something I've never heard of. While I understand the theory/concept, I've been through 2 different training sessions for filling LP bottles and this has never been mentioned by the trainer. Can you tell me where you learned this technique?
For as long as I've been using propane, I've always opened the valve fully then backed down a quarter turn or so. This was taught to me in the Navy for any valve.

I have made it a habit.to.alwaysndo this.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Red Tapatalk

rick_debbie_gallant

Ray, here is another article I found today while on the net. Let me know what u think.

" Propane Gas – A Short Course

By Gary Motley

Master Certified RV Technician

The Propane (Liquefied Petroleum) Gas system is one of the most important systems in a recreational vehicle. It is also one of the least understood. This system is safe when maintained and used properly. However it can cause some big bangs when not properly used or maintained. As a result of talking to customers about their Propane systems over the years, I have become aware of a number of items I feel is important for consumer to know. I am going to cover some of these items in this article.

When opening a Propane tank valve listen for a constant loud hiss or hum at the regulator after opening it as this is an easy way to detect a major leak. When opening this valve, you should open it all the way to the top. This will help the o-ring seat off the valve properly to avoid a possible leak. This is called backseating."

Later
Rick

TedS

Rick, does he describe what o-ring is being seated? And why is it ever unseated?

rick_debbie_gallant

Rick, does he describe what o-ring is being seated? And why is it ever unseated?

This may answer everyone's question on this. As stated earlier, I have always fully opened and back seated valve. There is no reason to have to close a valve quickly in an emergency. If a person takes their time in setting up their propane equipment properly the safety controls will work properly.

"Resolved Question: When you use a propane tank to barbecue, how much do you open the tank before you turn on the grill?

There is a nob on top of the tank, and you have to turn it to open it. I was told to open it all the way, and then to turn on the grill nob and light it. Then someone said just give the tank nob a little turn and go ahead and turn on the grill nob and you will save propane. Who is right and why?

Asked by orange 2 years ago Report Abuse
Best Answer

The correct procedure is as follows.

Make sure all burner controls are off. Turn the cylinder valve on very slowly and only open it about 1/4 turn. Wait several seconds. This is because there is an excess flow valve built into the connection between the the cylinder and hose. This valve is designed to sense if the hose is cut or ruptures and will significantly reduce the flow of propane in that case. By only opening it a bit, you are only letting a small amount of gas through to "charge" the line with propane. If you hear a "click" the excess flow valve activated. You need to close the cylinder valve, wait a few seconds and start over.

Once the line is charged, you should open the valve all the way and "back-seat" it gently. It is normal for a cylinder valve to have slight leakage around the threads when in mid position so we always backseat the valve. This also ensures that the excess flow valve senses full tank pressure and can do it's job properly. If you throttle the burner by only opening the valve a bit and letting a small amount of gas through, the excess flow valve will never be able to sense that there is a problem.

When you are done grilling, you should close the cylinder valve first to allow the remaining fuel in the lines to be burnt off.

You will NOT save money by only opening the valve a bit, but you could cripple an important safety feature of the equipment.

Always refer to the certified installation and operation instructions for your particular appliance, and contact the manufacturer directly to clarify any concerns. What I have stated above is a general description that should cover most grills, but there may be exceptions...

Hope this helps!

Source(s):

21 years experience in the propane business and a licenced gas fitter.

Answer by Propane Guy 2 years ago Report Abuse"

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Rick, thanks for the post. I guess it makes sense. I looked at several sites and didn't find the one you did. The site that I found most informative was "propane101" I didn't copy the link. There was no mention of backseating in that site. It's really no big deal to me either. I've leak tested the system with the valve not back seated and all was OK. I guess we get used to doing something a certain way. Then we get older.:(:D

rick_debbie_gallant

Yupppppppp! The whole thing about following a prescribed sequence when using such a potentially hazardous device is to not defeat the safety measures built into the valve, regulators and hoses.