LP tank gagues

NWTFHunter

Past Missouri Chapter Leaders
Our last RV, a class C, had a gague on the LP tank as well as a level indicator on the monitor panel. We just ran out of LP in our two 30 lb. tanks much sooner than expected. There is just a pop-up indicator on one tank that shows red when empty. Would be nice to know how much is left before running out. Has anyone found a good gague to add on that will show amount left?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
What we normally do when using a lot of propane is watch daily for that red pop-up. As soon as it's up we know one of the tanks is empty (the one that the switch over valve is pointing to). At that point, switch the valve to the other tank and pull the empty for refill.

I always keep the full tank not in use turned off that way I always know when the in use tank is empty. I open the valve to the full tank and make it a point to fill the empty one.

jpmorgan37

My last coach had a gauge on one of the tanks and it was a little better than nothing, but not much. It would show empty when there was still a couple of gallons left in the tank. I just keep tabs on the red indicator now and pull and refill when one is empty.

John

ChopperBill

I have two of these Lite Cylinders in our truck camper. They are the BEST up grade I have done. Can see the level of gas at a glance. I will have two when they make a 30 pound-er for the BH. A friend of ours is a cousin of the the guy who owned Marshall LP company. He gets them by the pallet so I got a pretty good deal. They sold that company and built a plant in the US to make the Lite Cylinder. They have been used in Europe for years.

timk

Jim,
I picked something like that up at Costco. It pretty much just tells you when your empty.
There is a remote indicator for the change over valve, that you can mount inside the rig. When the lil thing turns red on the change over valve, it flashes a led in the rig, or wherever you mount the indicator. So it just lets you know when the first cylinder is empty. Runs off a couple of AA batteries and just snaps on to the top of the change over valve. I think its made by the same people as the valve.
I have never seen a clear tank, very interesting, but it just gives me the willies to think about it.

phranc

Seems I recall some people using the pistol grip infra red thermometer ?? It is used to tell the differnce between the cold gas level and the warmer air level .
Any body here use one ??

sidney dreyfus

checking for LP gas leaks.

Is using soapy water the best way to check for gas leaks? Is there a battery operated portable propane sniffer similar to the propane alarm we have in our trailers that can be used to check for leaks?

jpmorgan37

nhunter

My take: The DOT gave them permission to make non-spec tanks. There is now an undisclosed problem with said non-spec tanks (who would have guessed- maybe thats why there are specs in the first place). You can continue using 10lb and 20lb tanks but don't use 33lb tanks and they have to stop making them for now. P.S. I am not an engineer or attorney

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
nhunter, that is exactly my take on this. The 10lb and 20lb are ok to use, but the 33lb use and manufacture are suspended until the company provides the test data to the Gov.