blowing fuse

n2snow2

just happened today been staying at the lake for a week with no problems jensen radio dvd stoped working no power checked fuse box little red light on blown fuse tried to replace it lots of smoke blew fuse any ideas thanks............

TedS

You have to find the short. What else is on the same circuit as the Jensen? What other 12v item(s) do not work? With the radio/dvd 'off' does the fuse blow? Pull the radio out to see if wire nuts fell off and let wires short.

wdk450

Well, I hate to suggest this, but you may have a rodent problem.

I have a yet exactly undetermined short circuit in my kitchen slide, that I have been able to isolate the refrigerator from. The the wire junctions at the refrigerator connection terminal strip, and extends to the stove lights and fans. This short is intermittent and has happened while the rig was sitting still in storage (I tried to pre-cool the refrig for a trip and came back and found the fuse blown). The fuse hasn't blown when I remove this fan/light extention portion from the circuit.

I am relating all of this because I currently am having a mouse problem in the trailer. I suspect the mice have chewed through the wiring causing an intermittent short when they come back for another meal on the insulation, or when the wiring shakes when I travel.

I have out out the dryer sheets everywhere, then started buying 4 packs of traps, then moved all of the food from anywhere the mice seemed to get into, then stuffed the kitchen and bathroom plumbing pass through holes with steel wool. I have caught about 4 so far.

Meanwhile, I need to replace that wiring, and I am pretty certain I have to scoot the refrig out some to get at it. I have seen photos of RV wiring online with compromised insulation, on sites reporting investigations of RV fires. So mice are just more than just a gross nusance. Then there is the Hantavirus risk, too. Right now, I just keep the extended part of that circuit disconnected, and get along without the stove lights and fan.

n2snow2

well dealer found the problem. they said it was the awning motor short blowing fuses. i also had them look at some seperation along right side by pin box where the sealer had seperated. i got a call today from heartland saying they need to have my camper shipped back to them to dismantal front to fix problem. trailer is 2012 bighorn silverado 33rl from what i can understand pinbox flex problem. im amazed they called me to correct this. its under warranty. but i think thats says alot. they want to take care of it before its a problem.they easily could of put me off until the warranty ran out. they even told me to use the trailer for the rest of the season.and then they will cover all shipping.im curious has anyone had this happen to them...

Geo

Could you take a picture of this so we can see what it looks like?
Is the problem when you hook it to the truck & looks good after you unhook it ?
thanks

George