three camera back up camera system

chardel

I am scheduled to pick up my 3055 RL Bighorn in a couple of weeks and my children surprised me with a birthday gift of a 3 camera backup camera system. In looking on the forum, there was a good description of a suggested way to run the camera wire from the rearmost camera at the back to the king pin - Thanks for the tips. Has anyone tried to install the side cameras? Or, does anyone have any suggestions on what might be the best approach to do this? It is wonderful to have thoughtful kids but suspect they may have had (at least to a small degree) their own interest in the back of their minds as we are planning to back into their driveways and stay at their houses when we visit during trips south in the winter. Would appreciate any thoughts on this subject.

jbeletti

chardel,

Some tips:

For the door side camera, make sure you mount it inside the awning arm area. Some of the early Heartland coaches with a door side security camera had them mounted outside of the front most arm and the view was obstructed with the awning rolled in.

Since the walls have block foam in them, fishing them is not an option so you'll need to penetrate the wall with a hold the size of the connector (unless you plan to re-solder the ends).

Looking at the 3055, on the door side, inside the front most awning arm, you may be able to bring the wire inside within the entertainment cabinet, then down the inside of the cabinet and into the storage area and out to the gooseneck area.

On the off-door side, I'd mount it ahead of the bedroom slide-out and penetrate the wall coming into the front closet, then down into the overhang and out the gooseneck area.

Is this the Voyager 3-camera system? Did you get the LCD screen too?

Good luck.

Jim

chardel

Thanks Jim for your suggestions. Yes, the kids went all out. It has the voyager 7" lcd monitor, color side cameras, tilt rear camera (which I would not have selected) and two mounts - one that looks like an upright tilting one about 4" and a windshield suction cup one. They forget that there needed to be connectors between the truck and the 5th wheel and I have had to get two connectors to go from the truck to the king pin area - one I think will go from the inputs from the two side cameras and another connector from the rear camera. Have not decided where to mount the monitor yet -still thinking about how to run all the wires. Thought I would wait until the unit was here before tackling all the decisions.

jbeletti

If you have yet to buy cables, consider calling Tim at RVcams.com Tell him where you came from (this forum). He's a good guy and you may find him as a helpful resource in getting your system going, if you end up buying some stuff from him.

Jim