Purchasing a 2012 San Antonio, need help on choosing a truck

jimtoo

Re: Purchasing a 2012 San Antinio, need help on choosing a truck

Hi Papaof17,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I would go with a 1 ton dually, make of your choice. And if money is no object even to a 450--550 of your choice. Your going to get lots of recomendations.

Enjoy the forum and also check out the Heartland Owners Club and join us for rallies where you will meet lots of great folks.

Jim M

Papaof17

Jim,

Thanks for the info! I am newbie and never pulled a fifth-wheel, but wife feel in love with the San Antonio.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader

We had a SRW F250 and things were "Okay" but when we moved to the F350 everything was much more stable in all road conditions. I vote for a dually.

jpdoggett

We have a F350 2WD Dually Diesel 4 door love it

rick_debbie_gallant

Purchasing a 2012 San Antinio, need help on choosing a truck

Started pulling our 3670 with a dodge 2500 SRW. pulled okay. Went to a 3500 dodge with DRW and what a difference. I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaffer

You want a 1 ton diesel for sure. Exhaust brake is a must. The 6 speed auto tranny behind the 6.7 Dodge is excellent. 4.10 gears are usefull for the weight you are pulling.

danemayer

Ford, GM and Dodge all make good products and each has their fans. I agree you'll need a 1 Ton truck.

All of the big 3 put in Diesels and Transmissions that will probably provide enough 5th wheel towing capacity, although there will be some differences between the three. You'll probably want to get a 3.73 rear axle ratio, which is a good compromise between power and fuel economy.

BEFORE BUYING get the payload spec on the truck you're looking at. This can vary quite a bit across Ford, GM and Dodge with single rear wheel configuration. When I shopped in July 2010, I liked the Dodge 3500 SRW a lot but found it had a MUCH lower payload spec than Ford or GM. Much too low for the Landmark. I would have had to go to a dually for the Dodge to do the job. That may have changed with 2011 or later models, but you need to check this before buying.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders

We pull our 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon with a 2010 Dodge 3500 DRW with no problems at all but as Dan said, any one of the Big 3 trucks should do a good job, but stick with a dually for stability.

Why don't you bring the new rig to one of our rallies in Texas or Oklahoma? We have three next month and you can sign up HERE.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Check the numbers before you buy. Here's a great site to check out:

http://fifthwheelst.com/

We have a 2004 GMC 1-ton dually and after crunching the numbers, would not feel comfortable towing the San Antonio... Even though it might be able to do it, you want to be safe and legal, for worry free towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FordMan1966

I have towed with SRW until 14 months ago and went with a DRW F350 PSD and would not think about going back to a SRW. I am partial to a Ford but all 3 make a good DRW truck and Engine.

caissiel

I tow a lighter Big Country and I am maxed with SRW Ford. The Fords cam pull up to 23500 Lbs GCW in the older models but the cargo capacity for SRW is limited due to the heavier trucks. But I feel great towing our 5th wheel while watching the pin weight.

sgtbigb

I would go with a one for sure. Full time DWD< Part time SWD will do. I love the Dodge diesels!

dave10a

Mine pulls great with a F350 Diesel SRW. I have put over 10,000 miles towing on it so far and I am very happy with the truck's towing ability. I have averages 12.5 mpg over those miles. It handled well on every road from forest to thru-way. In the desert, mountains and prairie. My truck is stock Ford with all the upgrades to provide max GVW. I didn't get the dually version because it would take too much space in my garage and I did want to search for parking spots. So I got the truck that would fit all my parameters and I don't look back.

dave10a

I forgot to mention. Before I bought the truck I corresponded with the Ford Truck Factory directly and asked for what options I should get for a F350 Diesel SRW to haul a trailer like mine. They gave me the list and I handed to the dealer, after negotiating the trim and price, and told them to order it. Don't rely on the dealer to help you much unless you really trust and know them well. Ford does insist their dealers get factory training for their products, but you have no guarantee you will get that sales person who was properly trained. I ended up getting a truck that does the job well.

Papaof17

Thanks to all of you for your great advise. We are still contemplating our purchase of both 5th and truck at this point. This has been a great help, when and if we go through with it. We will be found on this forum with many questions once we make the plunge. :)