Part two of the tire story

Loco

I think alot can be learn from this

RADIAL VS. BIAS PLY
One old wives' tale has it that you should never put radial tires on a trailer. The sidewalls on radials, the tale goes, are too soft, allowing the trailer to squirm all over the road. Conventional bias ply tires are the way to go. . . or are they?
separationAnxietyCallout2.gif
While radials were frowned upon at one time, today there is wide-spread acceptance of these tires. Which should you use? The decision hinges on your towing style, according to Ray Evans, executive vice president for engineering, marketing and sales of Titan Tire Corp. in Mogadore, Ohio. "While it is true that a bias-ply tire can provide more side-to-side stability than a radial, a bias ply also runs hotter than a radial," said Evans. "If you are pulling a heavy load, and need an extra measure of stability, use a bias ply." "On the other hand, if you do a lot of long-distance towing with a relatively light load at high speeds, the radial design may be better for you because it stays cooler than a bias ply," he said. The cooler the tire stays, the less it will fatigue.
IDENTIFY THE LOAD RANGE
The most critical factor in choosing a trailer tire is load range. You can find the load range molded into the sidewall of every tire. For towing, look for C, D and E load ranges. Load ranges are based on specific inflation pressures. With a higher inflation pressure, the tire can carry more weight. Therefore, a load-range C tire is at its peak load capacity when inflated to its maximum pressure of 50 psi. In range D, you need to be at 65 psi to handle the increased load capacity. Load-range E tires must be set at 80 psi.
Trailer Tire Load Limits (in lbs.) at Various Inflation Pressures PSI 35 50 65 80 ST115/80/13 880 (B) 1100 (C) ST165/80/13 990 (B) 1230 (C) ST175/80/13 1100 (B) 1360 (C) ST185/80/13 1200 (B) 1480 (C) ST195/80/14 1320 (B) 1610 (C) ST205/80/14 1430 (B) 1760 (C) 2040 (D) ST215/80/14 1520 (B) 1870 (C) ST205/75/15 1480 (B) 1820 (C) 2150 (D) ST225/75/15 1760 (B) 2150 (C) 2540 (D) 2840 (E) ST215/80/16 1820 (B) 2200 (C) 2600 (D) 2910 (E) ST235/80/16 2090 (B) 2600 (C) 3000 (D) 3420 (E) This table (above) shows the relationship between air pressure and load capacity for popular sizes of trailer tires. The capacities apply equally to radial and bias ply versions. The letters following some capacities indicate the load range.
In order to select the proper load range, you must first weigh your trailer fully loaded. This means full of water, LPG and gear. Go to a truck stop or public scale and weigh the entire rig. While you are there, weigh each axle separately. This will let you know if you have exceeded the tow rating of your tow vehicle or are overloading one of the trailer axles.
There are other considerations in picking ST tires. For the trailer tires to manage the weight, all must be identical. Do not mix bias and radials tires. What's more, the load range and size of each tire should be the same. And each should have the same amount of tread wear. This becomes critical when replacing a tire.
When replacing a single tire, always run the same size outside diameter tires on the same axle. A smaller- diameter tire will carry more weight, and may become overloaded.
After a blowout on a tandem-axle trailer, you should replace both tires on that side. The remaining tire was likely subjected to excessive loading and, as a consequence, may fail in the near future.
kotspacer.gif
MAINTENANCE TIPS
When a trailer is in long-term storage, there are steps you can take to add life to the tires.
  • Put the trailer on blocks to take weight off the tires.
  • Lower the air pressure.
  • Keep the tires covered to protect them from the sun's ultraviolet light.
When taking the trailer out of storage, make sure there are no cracks in the grooves and no wire showing. Cracks in the sidewall could indicate interior damage or separations in the tire.
kotspacer.gif
MAXIMUM PSI?
As indicated earlier, maximum load range is attained only when the tire is at its maximum air pressure. Yet, should you maintain maximum pressure even if you are towing below the load range of the tires? Tire manufacturers differ on this point. "You should maintain the maximum pressure at all times," says Carlisle's Garbarino. "There is no advantage to taking air out of the tire. With maximum pressure, the tire will perform and wear better, and you will get better mileage. Reduce the psi, and you compromise the functionality of the tire."
Titan Tire's Evans feels differently. "If you want a little softer ride, drop the psi a bit," he says. However, he cautions that: "They have to know the actual load."
"Trailer owners should set the pressure according to the load," says Goodyear's Fry, who provided the tire pressure vs. load chart that accompanies this story. "Yet, this is not easy to do without weighing the trailer."
"Once the weight is accurately determined, the pressure should be set when the tire is cold, not when it is hot."
All the manufacturers agree on one point: If you do not know the exact weight of your trailer, keep the ST tires at the maximum cold psi.
Based on updated thinking, there are ultimately three keys to avoiding tire trouble while towing: (1) Make sure your rig is equipped with the proper tires: (2) maintain the tires meticulously: and (3) replace trailer tires every three to five years, whether they look like they're worn out or not.
As my grandfather used to say, take care of your equipment, and it will take care of you.
Author: Robert Eckhardt, reproduced with permission from Camping Life.
America's Family Camping Magazine, July/August 2001
kotspacer.gif
kotspacer.gif

J

jjjelm

What Tires Should I Buy??

I am ready to replace the tires on my 2007 Big Horn 3055 RL...what would you "experts" out there recommend?...Wonderful Wyoming

Uncle Rog

It seems like the general concensus would be Michellin or Good Years, depending on what size / range that you need.....

Mr Loco, good post, very informative. I have printed a copy for my file and sent it off to some friends who should have the info, thanks................

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
jjjelm said:
I am ready to replace the tires on my 2007 Big Horn 3055 RL...what would you "experts" out there recommend?...Wonderful Wyoming
I'm no expert but I'm going to put on Michelin XPS Ribs seems to be the best recommended E rated tire going. -----Ken

buckeyebob

mission tire problems

hello i am looking at a 2009 heartland 2900mk with chinese mission 16 inch (235 80 16 )tires.i need info on these tires as i have read on the keystone forum of blowout problems and tread separations.thankyou, buckeyebob.

fhollan

hello i am looking at a 2009 heartland 2900mk with chinese mission 16 inch (235 80 16 )tires.i need info on these tires as i have read on the keystone forum of blowout problems and tread separations.thankyou, buckeyebob.

I've got the same tires on my BH now going on to two years. I'm not a fulltimer, but I keep the unit under roof all year where it is not exposed to the weather elements. I do keep a close eye on them, even with a creeper, crawl underneath with a flashlight and do a thorough inspection before we pull out. Make sure you keep the correct air pressure in them and don't overload the unit. I hope to do another year with them, and replace them next year.

Do a search on this forum on Mission tires. There are quite some horror stories on all of the Chinese made tires. Some didn't last long, and others have placed quite some miles on them. Some forum members have found that some GY tires were made in China. Most stated that they have been satisfied with Michelen. Also Maxxis tires have been mentioned as good ones. So it's a judgement call based on your research. After that, you might negotiate with your dealer and include that he replaces the tires with U S made tires. Good Luck!

jpmorgan37

Finding U. S. A. made products is getting more and more difficult. I just bought a set of 18" tires and wheels removed from a new Cadillac Escalade that the dealer was upgrading to 22' wheels. The wheels that I bought were made in China and the Bridgestone tires were made in Mexico.

John

fhollan

Well JP; it makes sense. Watching the news this morning they said that many jobs were lost since the beginning of this year. To much is going overseas.

sharmulst

No one ever mentions running LT tires on trailer. We replaced our Mission ST tires with BF Goodrich Commercial TA Radial LT's. The data plate on our '06 Bighorn 3500 specifies LT tires.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Thanks, John. I went back to my post and corrected the tire nomenclature. Incidentally, mine are stamped "Made in U.S.A." The lot number was within a month of the date that I purchased them. I replaced all five and have already had to use the spare - not because of a tire failure, but from a crack that developed in the aluminum wheel.

Dale and Jen

Funtimers
Tire Problem

We have a 2007 Bighorn. The tires that came with it are Load Star Karrier (?) made in China. Ended up with a big bubble on one last camping trip. Delaminating....close to a blow out. We just replaced ALL four tires with GoodYear Marathon Tires, ST23580R16 yesterday. An additional expense, but one well worth it considering what could have happened. Heartland needs to look at the quality of the tires they are installing. We would be willing to pay extra for good, quality tires. Which we ended up doing anyways. Thought we could use the other three as spares...no such luck. Just discovered that they are also delaminating. An accident waiting to happen!

Jenny and Dale :rolleyes:

Last edited:

randes

Mission Tires

I don't know if it is the luck of the draw or not, but our 2008 Bighorn 3055 now has over 18,000 miles on it's Mission tires and are still running good.

The only problem I have had was my own fault. When I was in Texas last month, I repacked the wheel bearings and adjusted the brakes. I have adjusted the brakes several times before, but apparently on the last one I got in to too much of a hurry and got them too tight. I didn't realize it until about 1,500 miles later when I got home. The tire had a bad scuff where it apparently drug a number of times until the brake wore down. I replaced it with the spare and put another tire I had bought for our trip to Alaska last summer on the spare rim.

The reason I mention this is because, I was really impressed that the tire did not fail on the long ride back home. I watch my tire pressures very closely with a Pressure Pro Tire Monitoring System. So my expierence with Mission tires has been great so far! :)

randes

Truck Tires

I need to buy new tires for my truck. In looking over my findings, there seems to be three tires manufacturers suitable for my truck. Michelin, Goodyear and Bridgestone. Does anyone have an opinion as to which would be better to tow my Bighorn?

I need an LT275/70R18E, which are not real common yet. :(

GypsyBill

and Jennifer
Although I don't have any opinions on these, here are a few more brands that have that size and load rating:

Continental ContiTrac TR
Firestone Transforce HT
General Grabber HTS

(source of info www.tirerack.com)

You can look at the reviews and surveys on them if you wish.

caissiel

I am very satisfied with my Freestar tires on our unit. I researched the product and they are certified for trucks and trailers and can be used on the steering of trucks. They are comparible in price to the GY 614. Mine are wearing great, and the nibs are till on some after 12K miles.

WilmanJim

We too, so far, have had good luck with the Freestar FS-574's that came on our Bighorn. So far we have a little over 18,000 miles on them. Having a little feathering on the inside of RF and LR tire. I keep them at max 110psi inflation. Mic'ed new at 7.5 32nd on the outside rib and 8 32nd in the middle. Currently mic'ed at 7 on the outside and 7.5 in the middle. Also 1000 # under gross weight of trailer. Just weighted trailer yesterday at 15,000 on the nose. Don't tell the wife, she will want to find something to buy. LOL

Jim