Recliners

Sandie

I will just never understand why RV manufacturers do not put wall hugging recliners in the units when there is such limited space. Just sayin...

MTPockets

Some say cost on this and other seemingly strange decisions. Cost may be an issue, but I think it's just decision makers who don't really live with it every day. They may save a buck or two, but lose more in good will and customer satisfaction than they can ever save.

Like my Day/Night shades having no finger slot on the center bar..... I've complained many times about this and get mostly blank stares, but my other RV had finger slotted center bars so I thought they were all made this way until I got my Big Horn - Been in it full time over 6 months now and have to deal with it every day... Heartland did send me some knobs, but they aren't as good as the slotted rails... A buyer saving a few cents per unit and causing stress as long as I own the rig or until I shell out bucks to fix the problem......... sigh.

Speedy

Its mostly cost. 99% of the BCs that we looked at on dealer lots all had leather interior and other upgrades. To my wife and I those upgrades should be only offered on Big Horns or Landmarks; we were lucky we found a BC with cloth interior in the color we wanted. Now after fulltiming for 4 months we are planning on replacing the recliners and then the couch. We did take this into consideration when we purchased our BC and if we were to do it over again and order a new coach it would be without furnishings.

The dear wife is currently updating the curtains and valances and lighting is next. All the mods to the TVs and coaches are what make them personal. No one would build a affordable rig for me alone.

BobKarenM

Hello, I am new to this forum and we have had our Big Country for about 8 months and have been out camping in it around 5 times in that period. I have to say that I have grown to really dislike the Recliners that we have - to the point that this past weekend we went to Lazy Boy and bought a Twin Chair to replace them with. The twin chair will fold out into a twin size bed - great for grandkids! It is a little bit smaller than the couch that came with the Big Country. So instead of having a couch and 2 chairs, I will have 2 couches. I was told by a dealer that I should keep the recliners in case I wanted to sell my rig in the future because that would it would lessen the value of the 5th wheel without the recliners. Has anyone ever heard that before? I have seen that quite a few have changed the recliners for different types. Any information would be a great help. I would like to see about selling my recliners if I could. They are like new.
Karen

jimtoo

Hi Karen,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Lots of folks change out their recliners or couches for something better or what ever works best for them. You need to furnish your trailer,,,they way you want it. Then it is yours.

If you want to sell your recliners we have a for sale area on the forum you may use.

Enjoy the forum and your new Big Country.

Jim M

ParkIt

Odd, when I was talking to a sales rep at Heart Land couple of weeks ago (Greg? I'm so bad with names!) mentioned they were putting wall slider recliner and sofa's in the LM, BH, BC and Gateway. I wonder if its an option at order or dealership? Most all of the comparable units to Heart Land are also using zero clearance wall away leather recliners and couches, it was tough to find one that didn't have them including the HL's that were there.
Now I'm wondering if we can order the dual 'theater' wall away recliners and sofa from Heart Land or find them at a furniture store, at least they are putting the recliners in front of the TV and the couch to the side...that was the first things we moved since the couch was in the wrong place for watching TV.

Eddhuy

Yes they are, our GW has wall sliders on the the theater seating and the couch. I believe they are made by Ashley so should be available from other sources as well.

Eddhuy

Many of the newer recliners have backs the slide off pretty easy, including La-Z-Boy and Ashley and most others probably.

ParkIt

Thanks Jack, I've been too busy this week to call HL to see what their prices are, it would take the guess work out of getting them in. We know from taking out the factory couch (heavy and bulky) getting something else that was lighter weight with more room for two people was a bit of a struggle. It seems store bought fits in easier than what it came with.

BobKarenM

Thanks Jim for the info... La-Z-Boy will be putting the new chair in our RV and we will pay them to remove the recliners also. I think that we will sell them, not sure on what venue we will do that. I will say that they are comfortable chairs,just in a much larger space. My new chair will be here in several weeks. Just in time for the annual July 4th weekend with friends!
Karen

RVNEWBIE

If you want to sell it privately, it will not matter. People are going to buy what they like. If they like your "style" then they will be ok with it. If you are going to trade it in, then you will only get "book" value for it. If anything is said about the recliners being replaced, you could just say they got damaged in travel and you had to replace them with something and did not want to pay the cost of RV furniture through a place like camping world or something. Ourselves, we just traded our 30ft North Trail TT in on a 2014 Key Largo. We had only had the NT since May. We "liked" it but did not love it. It was tight quarters in the bedroom, had a short couch, and had really crappy recliners in it when we bought it. The wife had put in a LARGE rocker recliner bought at a furniture store. Some of them are being designed with removable backs which make them very easy to get into the small entry doors. When we traded in the TT, we put the small recliners back in and moved the large recliner to the Key Largo. We had the new one for one day when we sold the existing recliners. As our plan is for this to be our last camper, we are not concerned with it no longer having its "original" furniture. But should our plans change MANY years down the road, I have already decided that the original recliners were either damaged in travel or just got flat worn out. We will worry about that IF the time ever comes. With the two CRAPPY rocker recliners in the Key Largo replaced with the one plush large one, Mama is HAPPY. I have my long couch to lay on for TV watching and she has her recliner. Good Luck and Safe Travels. Joe

We have had our Bighorn for a short time and I loathed the dreadful recliners. We bought two La-Z-Boys (Pinnacle wall huggers) and gave the other ones to some friends.

gebills

These entries all sound like good ideas. I was beginning to wonder if we were the only ones that, when setting up for a stay, would pull the couch from the port side and place it in the aft of the salon, while pulling the two recliners from the aft of the salon and placing them on the port side, across from the starboard side TV location. And yes, the recliners setting out in the middle of the room so as to be capable of reclining is a pain in the back side. The thought process of putting in the wall hugger recliners is a no-brainer. This was apparently overlooked by the designer of the coach interior (I'm trying to be nice here). The challenge for us is finding a sofa for the aft of the coach/salon that will allow the port and starboard sides to come in and still have a decent looking couch. I expect that I'll probably have to buy one of the smaller Wal-Mart couches that will allow the slides to pass by them; then take the "el-cheapo couch to my upholster buddy and have him make it look decent for the coach. Sure seems like there could have been an easier way. Gonna had to get started on this as it looks like our time in the coach in the near future is going to increase.

MTPockets

We sold the original rockers and sofa. At the rear we placed a couple cloth covered, high back, dining room arm chairs. The slides clear these nicely without moving the chairs. It also gives a much roomier open feeling to the space. Where the original sofa was, we have two leather wall hugging Lazyboys. No more moving furniture and love the added open feeling and comfort.

Birchwood

As I have expressed many times on this forum.... the furniture in these RVs are for selling only ..like a stage ..not for real usage.We have changed all the furniture in our Landmark!

gebills

Ya know MTPockets, the open space situation is something that I hadn't considered. It is kinda nice to stretch out on the sofa on occasion, but the thought of having that area opened up with "less furniture" sounds like a pretty reasonable idea, i.e. removing the sofa and adding a couple swivel rockers or wing back chairs at the aft of the coach. I hadn't even considered that option. Gonna have to run that by the General (DW ;-)). Thanks for the idea. I'm not so much of a creative thinker; I'm more of a do'er. That's why I don't come up with these good ideas.....gebills