Furnace is acting weird

Flanman5

So I have a Heartland Torque and the furnace worked fine in May. But I set the heat and nothing no blower no light nothing. It clicks in the A/C unit to tell it to start and nothing. Took the cover off the outside area and it's something on the furnace is buzzing. Ok I have power there. I unhooked a red wire to the blower and it kicks in. It lights runs a cycle shuts off and no restart no nothing like before. So I unhook the red wire to the blower and it fires again.

What could this gremlin be? Board? Thermostat? A/C works fine.....

Not to happy with this trailer.

Thanks,

Edwin

danemayer

Hi Flanman5,

I'm puzzled as to how the blower motor runs when you disconnect the red wire - which I think is the 12V supply to the motor. I think there's also a red wire to the Limit Switch which is a safety feature that protects you. So I'm guessing maybe you're getting the blower to run by bypassing the limit switch.

The limit switch could be defective, or could be operating due to an air circulation problem - blocked ducts/returns maybe, or blocked air intakes or exhaust - maybe from insects.

In general it sounds like you're in a lockout situation. You can test for this by turning the thermostat off for a minute and then trying again.

If not for the clue about getting it running by pulling the red wire, I would have suggested checking the propane supply and maybe switching and/or swapping propane tanks.

Sometimes with LP, the safest thing to do is turn to a trained technician for help.

Flanman5

Dane,
thanks for the response. I think I have found the issue.
I turned the A/C on to cool the inside of the trailer down to 19degrees C. I have a different thermometer to tell me that is that temp. I touched the button on the thermostat and it said 80F. No way it's 80F in the trailer I turned the furnace on at 81 F and bam it works. I believe the problem is the thermostat. Model dometic comfort control center single.

Thanks

danemayer

I touched the button on the thermostat and it said 80F.
So if it's actually hot outside, you might be getting warm air rising from the basement to the area behind the thermostat wall. Or if there's direct sun on the coach, it might be heating the area near the thermostat. Put your other thermometer next to the thermostat and compare readings.

Flanman5

Dane,
It's definitely reading the wrong temperature. Like I said I set it to 81 in the trailer and worked all night long.The inside outside thermometer is reading the correct temperature as it is pretty close to the thermometer. and it says it was 73F or 23C inside the trailer while the dometic thermometer read 80F.

I will replace it...
Thanks,
Edwin

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Edwin, you did not say if your coach is over a year old. If it is not...call HL service and they might send you one.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Well then, call HL with your VIN# and maybe they will send you a new one. It happens all the time.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I imagine that you contacted your dealer?
That should be your first step.
Did you contact Heartland yourself?
Did it work properly when you first got it?

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Flanman5

Yes it worked properly when first received. I have contacted my dealer via email and phone and Heartland via Email...

danemayer

Yes it worked properly when first received. I have contacted my dealer via email and phone and Heartland via Email...
Flanman5,

Rather than waiting for an email response, I'd suggest a phone call to Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032. Have your vin# ready.

But I think you are likely to be told to take the rig to the dealer where the problem can be checked out. Dometic warrants the Dometic thermostat and the dealer will likely have to file a warranty claim with and get the part directly from Dometic. I know this sometimes doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, but my own experience with Dometic is that they can be a bit difficult when it comes to following their procedures.

Flanman5

I am not too worried about the warranty of the thermostat. If it is like dealing with Dodge I will be out of pocket, HAHA..

Thanks
Edwin

Flanman5

Well I replaced the thermostat and starts at 73 once then no more restart no nothing. I shut it off till it clicks up top, then set it to 79 and it works.

Any Ideas?