1000w Generator question

Flanman5

Can you hook up a normal pull start generator to the wiring in the pre wired cabinet? And if so what wires do what?

Thanks,

caissiel

When i run my 1200W unit I drop all circuits except the sllides and converter. No chance of overloading the gen.
I use it just for battery charging and TV viewing while charging PCs.

Sent from my GT-S5660M using Tapatalk 2

PUG

Pug
Why not wire the generator to hook up to your trailer pig tail electrical cord? I charge cells, computers, etc. on 12 volt when dry camping with the help of solar. A 1000 watt gen is pretty limited to hook up much to it. If you hook it up to your pig tail it will charge your battery along with running your tv.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Flanman, I would just plug you existing cord into the genny, using adapters to get to the 15 amp receptacle.

As others have said, 1000 watts will run small appliances and charge your battery(s), but not a whole lot else.

You haven't said whether you already have the generator or not. If you don't, I would recommend getting at least a 2000 watt. (or 3000 watt)
Either of those would be more versatile. IMHO.

Happy camping. Trace

Last edited:

caissiel

I installed a 3 way plug in my basement that is connected to the slide circuit which is on the same side as the converter and connect the gen to the circuit.
But the 3 way switch is only used for the inverter connection to the slide plugs so I can have 120V without the power plant running.

So this circuit is used for power plant and inverter power.

Attachments

• 3 Way Switch..jpg
    3 Way Switch..jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 59

Flanman5

So the pre wiring can't be used? The reason I would like to use the existing wiring is just convenience...

Thanks
Edwin

caissiel

I have no prewire on my unit. But because I use the same circuit from my Inverter (800Watts) its available in front compared pulling out a 50Lbs cord to load 1000 Watts. I use a 16Ga extension that can plug in the Gen or inverter, and inverter disconnected while Gen is charging batteries. Yes solar panels is getting very economical, even cheaper then a Honda Inverter generator.

My Bros inlaw has 45Watt Panel and his batteries lasted one week while parked next door I ran my gen 1 hr every day and at the end my Batteries went down that I needed additional charge.

dbbls59

I had a trailer once with the gen prep and I wired a power cord to it with a male plug on it. I just plugged this into my generator. Did not have to pull out the trailer power cord. I also had a transfer switch so I didn't have to worry about a hot male plug in the storage area.