where is the backup beam for the A & E Manual awning supports on 2009 3500RL

caissiel

I noticed that my top brackets on my manual awning had pulled out the fastners.

This morning I checked it out and drilled new holes to install the brackets properly and in no way did I hit any support other then the wood and fibre siding materials. The awning rail is also just screwed in the wall with no backing.

Can it be my awning has not been installed at the right elevation.

I would be ready to relocate it at a proper location if I was sure there was a backing installed above the door. Right now its about 23 inches above the door and no way did I find anything to screw any fasteners properly as required to hold a 16ft awning.

We seldom use the awning and this weekend with strong wind the fastners just pulled out at the top brackets.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Laurent, our upper brackets pulled out just like your back in 2007. I used a large version of the screw in anchors and 2 part epoxy on the anchor to hold it in. I don't know that my mounts missed the aluminum backer, but the backers are such soft aluminum, they aren't really strong enough to hold anyway.
On the arm to the front, I used 1/4" thread all and went all the way into the bedroom TV cabinet and used a fender washer inside. Strong like bull!
Anchor picture included.

Attachments

• self drilling zi&#.jpg
    self drilling zi&#.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 9

caissiel

I relocated the top braket location, it was not installed per instructions and at the wrong place.
They never used any sealant on the screw threads and rotted the wood the screws were attached to. It was installed to high and pushed the awning to high above the awning rail. I had observed that from the begining but had more things to attend to but finely had to repair the loose screws. I am now in good material with new holes and sealant installed. Will also have to repair the bottm as the bolts have no sealant on them to.

Looks like a dealer installed awning to me.