PDA

View Full Version : EVENT: Heartland Owners Camp-Out: VA, Williamsburg - 11/30/2012 to 12/4/2012

Flying Dutchman
09-11-2012, 07:56 PM
146 Maxton Lane, Williamsburg, VA 23188

Venue:
------------------------------

American Heritage RV Park
146 Maxton Lane
Williamsburg, VA 23188
Toll Free: 1-888-530-2267 | Local: 757-566-2133
americanheritagervpark.com (http://americanheritagervpark.com)
Pets ok?: Yes
Pet Fee: $
WiFi available: Yes
WiFi Fee: $$0

Details:

Number of sites held:
Site fee: Winter special below per night.
Club Member Event fee: None
Non-Club Member fee:
Potluck: No
Potluck date: 12/2/2012
Potluck time: 4:30pm

Event Leader: Flying Dutchman(click to contact) (//heartlandowners.org/private.php?do=newpm&u=4524)

Additional Info:
Join us for a fun filled weekend in Williamsburg to start your Christmas season. Make your reservation with the campground early as they may fill up fast for this festive weekend. The campground is offering a Winter Site Special-Stay 3 nights/4th night Free (NOV-MAR) $135.75. Tell campground you are with the Heartland group (van Opstal) and they will try to site us together. We will attend Colonial Williamsburg Grand Illumination on Sunday 12/2. The event is Free, just bring a chair and wear your woolies. We plan to have a group picnic on the lawn as we watch the roving/changing entertainment. Picnic dishes to be organized by the group attending. This event is guaranteed to put you in the Christmas spirit.
If you have not experienced Colonial Williamsburg Grand Illumination, you have missed a fun filled evening. The event is called Grand Illumination because hundreds of candles are lit simultaneously in the windows of the Historic Area buildings signaling the official opening of the holiday season in the restored area. Each entry door is decorated with wreaths fashioned from all natural materials such as apples, oranges, holly and sprig. Colonial Performances begin at 4:25pm. A variety of traditional holiday entertainment takes place including fifes and drums, balladeers and musicians, and costumed performers. At evening's conclusion, three identical but separate coordinated firework displays (at the Capitol, Governor's Palace, and Magazine) will light up the sky.

Attendee List:

1. Eric and Dorothy van Opstal (Flying Dutchman)
2. Dave Yocum and Julie Hancock (davebennington)
3. Dick and Debbie Hazel (funlabs)
4. Nancy and John Latham (camperjohn08)
5. Gus and Debra Funderburg (boatto5er)
6. Erik Schiebert and Rebecca Needham (vakthund)
7. Cindy and Donald Massengill (Andy)
8. Marsha and Johnnie Turner (currituck0209)
9. Janet and Roger Burnham (burnhamrog)
10. Jim and Leslie Pasch (Jim-n-Leslie)
11. Dave and Gloria Green (captdave363)
12. Dick and Virginia Naigle (DOLMAR)

Flying Dutchman
09-11-2012, 08:10 PM
This will be the second camp-out in Williamsburg this calendar year. If you plan on attending, please contact me (or reply here) after making your campground reservation so that I can add you to the attendee list. Although predicting the weather would be nice if possible, it will be early December in Virginia which means generally cold nights and cool days. All of the events for the Grand Illumination will be outdoors, so warm comfortable clothing will be needed. For those concerned if winter conditions or salt covered roads exist around the days of this event, it is far easier to cancel a reservation than to decide to attend at the last moment.:)

davebennington
09-12-2012, 05:56 AM
Eric,

If all goes well we will be there, looking forward to the light show.

dave & Julie

funlabs
09-12-2012, 06:56 AM
Dick and I plan to be there. We're making reservations today. Sounds like great fun!!!!!

Flying Dutchman
09-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Glad you can make it Debbie, it will be great fun.

camperjohn08
09-13-2012, 10:34 AM
We are thinking about this outing.. As you know me, it all depends on our weather for that time of the year.. Wish I had a Farmers Forecast Calendar for future weather.. Hopefully we can come to this.. No Promises though.:rolleyes:

Flying Dutchman
09-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Understand completely John. It would be nice to have you and Nancy with us.

Jim & Harriet
09-28-2012, 01:20 PM
We have made a reservation - no campsite number was given.
Looking forward to our first "cold weather" camp out.

Flying Dutchman
09-29-2012, 06:03 AM
That's great Jim and Harriet, you will really enjoy this one. Just pack the woolies and bring some sunshine.

boatto5er
09-29-2012, 09:42 AM
Add us to your list Eric. No reservation yet, but will call in the next couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying Dutchman
09-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Wahoo, the Funderburg's will be with us. So glad that your plans will allow this, maybe you can get Bob and Stephanie to join us as well. Remember to bring the woolies for Romeo and Juliet.:)

boatto5er
10-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Reservations made. Nov 30 through Dec 3. Were given Site#54.

vakthund
10-03-2012, 05:41 PM
The Vikings will be attending. Reserved 11/29-12/03 but did not get a site number. Our first event so be nice :)

---
One day I'll put something clever in here.

boatto5er
10-03-2012, 07:43 PM
The Vikings will be attending. Reserved 11/29-12/03 but did not get a site number. Our first event so be nice :)

---

Erik,

Glad you'll finally make it to one of our get togethers! Smaller numbers than a rally, but should still be lots of fun.

vakthund
10-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Glad you'll finally make it to one of our get togethers!
Looking forward to it. We have not been able to attend any rallies or camp-outs this year, they all seem to conflict with our daughter's figure skating events.

camperjohn08
10-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Well we went and did it......... Made our reservations for 29 Nov thru 4 Dec..But if there is a stich of snow, salt on the road or bad weather in the forecast.. we will cancel..:eek:
Just being honest here.:o
Looking forward to Great Weather, Great Company, and a Good Mini-Rally between Friends.. Now for the nail biting Farmers Weather Forecast between now and then..:rolleyes:
Oh Yea.. we will be on site 24.....................

boatto5er
10-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Now John, it's not real camping til you're in a foot of snow! Glad y'all signed up.

camperjohn08
10-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Now John, it's not real camping til you're in a foot of snow! Glad y'all signed up.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkNow ya know my Ford SD doesn't like to be playing in the show.. Especially when It has a nice warm safe place to live..:eek:

boatto5er
10-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Now ya know my Ford SD doesn't like to be playing in the show.. Especially when It has a nice warm safe place to live..:eek:

You haven't had fun until you drive that sucker for 40 miles in 30 inches of snow!

camperjohn08
10-08-2012, 10:04 PM
You haven't had fun John until you drive that sucker 40 miles through 30 inches of fresh snow.

Drove to NY one time, started out as rain, then freezing rain, light show, heavy snow, then a full blown blizzard... the only way I knew I was on the highway.. was keeping the car between the reflective poles on each side of the road.. normally took 8 hours to drive.. This was a Long, cold scary 13.5 hour drive to ****.. Will Not do that again.. Hence My dislike for snow..:eek:

andy
10-15-2012, 01:17 AM
Eric, Don and I have reservations for this weekend... Thanks...Cindy

happycampernc
10-15-2012, 02:55 PM
Wish that we could come but at last Ken has the bad 4 letter word gets in the way. Yuck.

andy
10-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Erik.. Don and I are coming....Next to you and Dorothy, I think.... Hope the weather is as great as oct. campout!!

Flying Dutchman
10-23-2012, 09:39 AM
So glad to see the "Don" and Cindy joining us, and Johnnie notified me that he and Marsha are also coming. I have also added Stephanie and Bob Hill (friends of Funderburg as well as us) as they are also attending. It is shaping up to be another great Williamsburg camp-out. I will be checking with the campground for our site numbers as some changes were made recently. For those still sitting on the fence post trying to decide whether to join us, just a reminder that the event at Colonial Williamsburg is EXTREMELY popular and the campground is sure to fill up, so please get your reservation in soon.

BURNHAMROG
10-23-2012, 07:51 PM
Janet and I are attending and we were assigned site 54.

Flying Dutchman
10-23-2012, 08:40 PM
That is great, glad you and Janet are joining us again.

Flying Dutchman
11-08-2012, 03:49 PM
We are up to 12 rigs attending as Jim and Leslie are joining us. Yeah!!:cool: What a great group, and the good news is that there is space at the campground for more. The attendee list is located in the first post and that list mirrors the reservations held with American Heritage, so if you plan on going and don't see your name it's time to make some calls.
We have changed our arrival date in Williamsburg to Thursday 11/29 as we will be traveling directly from our Thanksgiving camping in St. Marys, GA (hope that the diesel prices drop).
As of now the only agenda item I have planned for us is the Grand Illumination event at Colonial Williamsburg on Sunday, 12/2. I plan to put together a list of items that you may wish to have on hand for that day. A lot depends on the weather, but as all the activities are outdoors plan on things for your comfort as well as your nourishment. Chairs as well as blankets to sit directly on the ground are necessities. I think it would be nice to have a group picnic on the lawn in front of one of the performing stages about mid afternoon (the performing entertainment starts at 4:45pm). This way we would have good seating. As far as picnic food, anything that is finger type food will work, cold or heated foods that are prepared in advance (sorry, no grills allowed). If you have something in mind, let me know and I will keep track of the items in the first posting so you can all plan accordingly. We will also plan on pooling transportation to the event as it will be crowded and parking (especially with our haulers) will be a challenge. The earlier the arrival the better chance for decent parking, and we will also need to "stake" out our picnic area for the entire group.
Our non-agenda camp-out is wide open for other group events on any of the days we are together. Let us know what you would like. Maybe a group breakfast, possibly a lunch or dinner at Sal's Pizza. I am not sure if there is any indoor room at the campground that we can use if the weather is extremely cold, but I do know that the "Landmark Diner" as well as our "Big Country Meeting House" will be open.
Looking forward to hearing from you and then being together in a few short weeks.

Jim & Harriet
11-09-2012, 08:54 AM
This all sounds like fun. Now that it gets dark so much earlier, what time does the actual
"illuminating" start? (This may sound like a silly question, but we have never seen been to
this event before.)
Will the picnic be "lunch" or "dinner" or just "continuous" :)

Flying Dutchman
11-09-2012, 01:54 PM
The "illuminating" starts at sunset with candles lit (actually electric candles) in all the windows of the colonial buildings. Entertainment begins at 4:45pm, and continues for about 2+ hours in 30 minute rotations at the various stage locations. We will stay put in one location and the entertainers do the rotation. Then sometime between 7:30pm and 8:00pm the "grand illumination" of fireworks will begin. It has always been a very impressive show lasting about 30 minutes. At the fireworks conclusion, the Colonial Williamsburg Fife and Drum Corps will parade from the Market Square up the East Duke of Gloucester Street to the Capital Building followed by as many spectators that still have any energy remaining. Then the other "show" begins, that being the massive traffic jamb as people (in the tens of thousands) leave to go home. I would plan a minimum of 2 hours to get back to the campground. The American Heritage Campground is approximately 11 miles from Colonial Williamsburg (normally a 20-25 minute drive) with the fastest connection being the use of I-64. I am computer challenged to paste a web site address in this posting but just google "Colonial Williamsburg Grand Illumination" for additional information.

As far as the picnic, consider it to be supper, with eating (or continuous snacking) from 3:30-4:00pm until the food runs out. :rolleyes: You will also like to get into Colonial Williamsburg early and spend time walking around. The Christmas decorations on each building entry door as well as window treatments are really spectacular. Many of the wreaths use real fruit, and the decorations are replaced several times during the month to keep the decorations "fresh". It will get you in the Christmas and holiday spirit, guaranteed.

Jim-n-Leslie
11-18-2012, 06:32 PM
Leslie and I are looking forward to all the activities on Sunday. We were originally scheduled to arrive Friday (still the plan) and depart on Tuesday around check-out time. This week the City of Virginia Beach "invited" me to enjoy jury duty the first three Tuesdays of December. Therefore, Leslie and I modified our reservations to depart on Monday. We will find out from the campground if campers are lining up to take our spot as we leave, or if we can maybe leave a bit later than check-out time. Oh, we'll, it's always good to do our civic duty!

Jim-n-Leslie
11-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Leslie and I have a favorite seafood restaurant that we enjoy in the Williamsburg area called the Whaling Company (http://whalingcompany.com/). We are planning on eating at 4 pm Saturday when they open.
After we eat, we will be spending the evening at Christmastown at Busch Gardens (http://seaworldparks.com/en/buschgardens-williamsburg/Events/Christmas-Town) until they close at 1000. They have another link with details at http://seaworldparks.com/en/christmastownbgw.
The Whaling Company has many things they offer other than Seafood. Their menu can be pulled up online where you will also find their address and directions. If anyone is interested in eating with us, reply to this post so we can call Steve (the owner) and let him know how big a group for dinner. Christmastown for those interested follows!

Jim & Harriet
11-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Hi Jim and Leslie,
The menu looked wonderful - so please include us! We have not been to Busch Gardens in years and this looks like a great
Christmas event that would be fun to see. Thanks for posting these added activities!

klindgren
11-19-2012, 10:03 AM
We'd love to join you Jim $ Leslie at the Whaling Co. (one of our favorites as well) and then head over to Busch Gardens. In fact we'd love to join all of you for what I know is going to be a fun weekend. Unforturately, my North Pole duties have us pretty well booked that whole weekend so we will not be able to come. We'll make up for it next spring at the rally up on Eastern Shore! You all have fun

Santa & Mrs. Claus (at least at this time of the year, that is)

vakthund
11-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Leslie and I have a favorite seafood restaurant that we enjoy in the Williamsburg area called the Whaling Company (http://whalingcompany.com/). We are planning on eating at 4 pm Saturday when they open.
The Vikings would like to join the Whaling party on Saturday. Unfortunately, due to an illness, we do not know at this time whether we will have a party of 3, 4 or 5 vikings.

boatto5er
11-20-2012, 11:05 AM
After we eat, we will be spending the evening at Christmastown at Busch Gardens (http://seaworldparks.com/en/buschgardens-williamsburg/Events/Christmas-Town) until they close at 1000. They have another link with details at http://seaworldparks.com/en/christmastownbgw.
The Whaling Company has many things they offer other than Seafood. Their menu can be pulled up online where you will also find their address and directions. If anyone is interested in eating with us, reply to this post so we can call Steve (the owner) and let him know how big a group for dinner. Christmastown for those interested follows!

Pretty sure Debra and I will attend the Sat dinner at the Whaling Co. Probably will not go to Busch Gardens afterwards, but not definite.

captdave363
11-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Dave and Gloria Green and Dick and Virginia Naigle will also attend.

Flying Dutchman
11-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Welcome Dave and Gloria, as well as Richard and Virginia, so glad you can join our little camp-out which promises to be a memorable and enjoyable event. The long range weather forecast looks great, cool days and chilly evenings, perfect for some evening campfire activity. If you have any firewood that you can bring I am sure we can persuade John to be our fire-master.

Jim and Leslie are arranging a dinner at the Whaling Company and a visit to Busch Gardens Christmas Town on Saturday. Let them know if you would like to join them so appropriate reservations can be made. For those that wish to stay and eat at the campground we can have a group dinner eating together and socializing. Just plan on bringing your own meal and drink. I will check with the campground management to see if their meeting room will be available for our use.

We will finalize our plans concerning necessary logistics to attend the Colonial Williamsburg Grand Illumination on Sunday when we meet at the campground. We are looking forward to our weekend together, until then, safe travels to all.:cool:

camperjohn08
11-25-2012, 06:01 PM
Well you all twisted our arms.. So I guess we are still on .. packed up three boxes of firewood..and some pine to start the fires..will bring some fixings for some french toast.. not as much as last time.. but some for all.. for our breakfast one morning..will be nice if they let us use the enclosed room for Breakfast at least.. then we can set up our griddles and have a nice hot meal.. The rig is still winterized.. will probably blow out the anti-freeze at home.. and flush out the system after getting to the camp ground..We will probably not be eating out Sat. night.. but hang around the camp-ground and have dinner with everyone there.. Nancy & I need to be alittle conserative at this camp-out..due to the expensive event in NJ last weekend..

Hope the weather is nice.. no Rain.. and isn't below freezing.. Don't want to get sick again after my bad cold these past couple of weeks..
See ya all there Thursday..

boatto5er
11-25-2012, 08:48 PM
We knew you would come throught John! Now if I can just get well...

camperjohn08
11-25-2012, 09:28 PM
Well Gus I hope you are feeling better.. And everyone else.. Let's bring our wine and cheese and fixing's for our Camp-0ut Wine tasting event... we usually have everytime we get together.. All that wine just might take the chill off our bodies.. on these cold days.. Not to mention the good friendship and conversations too!!:o

Flying Dutchman
11-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Well I have confirmed with the campground that we are the only "group" staying this coming weekend, and therefor we can have use of their meeting room. We can finalize when we are together, but I am thinking of using their facility for Friday night (dinner), Saturday morning (breakfast), and again Saturday evening (dinner). You are free to have dinner's in town (there are so many good restaurants) but for those staying at the campground this gives us the opportunity to be together and not be crowded. I am not thinking "pot luck" dinners at the campground, just bring your own food and we can eat together and socialize.
We are planning a joint breakfast for Saturday at 9:00am at the campground meeting room. We will bring a gallon of OJ plus a pound of sausage and Dorothy will make scrambled eggs. I will have a large coffee pot brewing. Think about what you would like to contribute. If John and Nancy are up for making french toast I know they would appreciate help and use of additional griddles.
While you are all thinking, what are your ideas for picnic type food for our outing on Sunday for the Grand Illumination. Everything we need will have to be carried in, so that includes your chair/blanket, food, drinks, etc. and of course yourselves. If we plan this right, we should be a lot lighter carrying stuff back when it is over:rolleyes:. As much as I would like to have a full 4 course meal, our thoughts for food are leaning towards sandwiches, or maybe a bucket of fried chicken. What are your ideas?
We plan to arrive at the campground around lunch time on Thursday. Please have a safe trip and we will see you all soon.

camperjohn08
11-26-2012, 05:31 PM
I checked with the campground today... We will be on Site 51... just like last time.. Also.. we just got the fixings for french toast for breakfast Saturday morning.. and a few other goodies.. to eat.. also salsa and chips and cheese spread for the crackers at the wine tasting.. and a nice Clean Rig to Boot.. Now let the fun begin.. and Pray for lot's and Lot's of Sunny skies..:angel:
John & Nancy

boatto5er
11-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Debra and I will be arriving on Wednesday, around 5:00pm probably - hopefully before dark. Site 49.

boatto5er
11-28-2012, 03:46 PM
We're here! Where is everyone? 😊

camperjohn08
11-28-2012, 04:15 PM
We're here! Where is everyone? 

We are packed, and ready to roll.. Nancy worked today.. should be there about noon tomorrow.. Will the "Landmark Diner" be open for lunch?? haha .. See ya there tomorrow..:)

boatto5er
11-28-2012, 04:25 PM
Hot dogs on the grill. $1.99 each. Drinks $.75.

papajoel55
11-28-2012, 04:43 PM
hope you have good weather like we had last weekend we left on sunday morning headed back to tenn, have fun
Joel

camperjohn08
11-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Hot dogs on the grill. $1.99 each. Drinks $.75 At Nancy's Nook.. it's hot dogs and beans w/syrup and coffee.. Cost: Free "Priceless"..:rolleyes:

boatto5er
11-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Nice and quiet here this evening. Be glad to see more Heartlanders pulling in tomorrow. I swept everyone's sites off today (well, I watched the park guy clean them off with a leaf blower 😄). Temp down to 30 tonight, then it starts warming up.

mjatwalker
11-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Have a great Camp-Out everyone.:)

boatto5er
11-29-2012, 08:24 AM
Got down to 28 last night. I disconnect the hose and ran off the fresh water tank just to be safe - no problems with water. Will hook the hose back up after it gets a little warmer outside :). Kept the fireplace on all night and set the furnace to 66. Stayed very comfortable. Dogs had to go out at 5:30 this morning - that was chilling! It'll be great to see a lot of folks arriving today!

boatto5er
11-29-2012, 11:33 AM
John and Nancy arrived about an hour ago. Expect more folks to start pulling in soon. Let the partying begin!

vakthund
11-29-2012, 03:44 PM
The Vikings would like to join the Whaling party on Saturday. Unfortunately, due to an illness, we do not know at this time whether we will have a party of 3, 4 or 5 vikings.

There will be 3 Vikings attending the Whaling exclusion.

---

funlabs
11-29-2012, 06:37 PM
Lots of food talk. Yum!! Dick and I will bring the griddle again for breakfast along with a pound of bacon and maple syrup, both from our favorite New York State smokehouse - Oscar's.

vakthund
11-29-2012, 09:57 PM
We finally rolled in but the office was closed - strange as it was only 9 PM. :) Took site 34. I love the Big Horn Alley.

vakthund
11-29-2012, 09:57 PM
We'll bring an electric skillet and make pancakes.

MdMike
11-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Hello all,

We are fairly new to the forum and I just found this thread! We are not camping but we are in town for the illumination! This is the only trip we stay in a motel but next year, should yo all do this again we will join you in the campground.

We have a new Elkridge 5th wheel.

Where are you going to set up in town for the display on Sunday? We generally stay at the Capitol now, used to do the palace but it was too mobbed to keep track of our son!

When you decide where you are going to set up let us know. We will stop and say hello! We do Christmas Town in Busch Gardens on Saturday.

Some have mentioned the Whaling Co. We eat there every year after the fireworks. Great food and atmosphere!

Hope to hear back!

Flying Dutchman
12-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Hi Mike and Peggy. Sorry for this late reply but I hope you receive this before Sunday. We are aiming to park our little group close to the stage in Market Square. That is our favorite spot for fireworks viewing, so stop by if you can. Congratulations on your Elkridge, we would love for you to join us at any of our planned rallies. You have a wonderful couple, Ann and Mike Walker, that are leaders for the Maryland Chapter of the Heartland Owners Club. In addition, the Virginia Chapter, the Delaware, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and North Carolina Chapters are all active with planned rallies throughout the year. If you have the time and inclination to travel further, Heartland chapters throughout the country would all welcome your attendance. You may also consider joining the Owners Club, as you would then receive many Club benefits. Hope that we get to meet you tomorrow.

MdMike
12-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Thanks Flying D.... If we get up that far tomorrow we will look for you all... I guess. There will be some sort of marking like a flag? We haven't met the folks from Md yet but we are going to try and make the Md Rally in Woodbine this year. My wife is still working but she can travel from the camper to work (we live about 25 min from campground, 30 min for her to work) .

The Mrs. Is looking to retire within the year, I did so 3 years ago. We are fortunate enough that I currently don't have to work and when she retires we are planning a cross country trip!

Take care, thanks for the reply and we hope to find you all tomorrow!

boatto5er
12-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Deb and I made it home around 4:00. Smooth trip home. Now to go put the rig in the storage lot in the dark.

vakthund
12-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Heartland Row at Williamsburg.
Had a good time at our first outing - glad to finally meet some of you.

boatto5er
12-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Nice pic! Great meeting you, Rebecca, and Sara. Thanks for allowing us to see your 3800 up close - love that rear deck.

camperjohn08
12-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Got up early this Tuesday morning.. left about 0920.. got home, got her backed-in & parked in the back yard by 1055 am.:p Spent the rest of the day unpacking, and cleaning her up inside.... I will say though.. wish we knew everyone was heading out Monday.. we would of also.. had to leave early this morning due to Nancy seeing her mother @ the nursing home, before going to work by one pm.. Had a nice time..

Flying Dutchman
12-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Thanks Erik for that great picture. It was nice to meet you and Becky and Sarah and we hope to see you at another gathering soon.