ATF: Big Country - Shower frame leak

Miller0758

On our last trip, I noticed a puddle of water in the corner behind the head near the shower. After the next shower I took a look and noticed a small amount of water seeping out from between the shower frame and the shower base. Question, is it best to caulk where the frame meets the base on the inside of the shower or on the outside? I thought I read it was recommended to caulk on the outside and the water can/will drain back in. Also, what type caulk do you recommend? Need your opinion. Thanks, John

GOTTOYS

Went to a seminar in Goshen last year on this. You're right, caulk the outside. I'm not a big fan of silicon but in this case it might be the thing to use...Don

Miller0758

Went to a seminar in Goshen last year on this. You're right, caulk the outside. I'm not a big fan of silicon but in this case it might be the thing to use...Don

I'm not a fan of silicon either and thats why I asked. I was thinking of 3M 4200, same as I use on the boat but I'll wait to see what others think. Thanks for your response.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Caulking on the outside would be a good idea if there were no caulk already on the inside. If there is caulk on the inside, it may trap water and mold will begin to form.

CactusTwo

I too say the outside, even removed the sealant on the inside and drilled a 1/8" hole in the middle at the bottom of each of the base rail faces on the inside to drain any other water buildup inside the base rail. Also one drill hole on the hinge edge of the door to drain the door frame. If you haven't done it yet, get ready for a gush of water when you drill those 3 holes. Mine also leaked at the joint between the base rail and the wall rail, so I smeared a dab of clear sealant over the joint from the shower base to the glass (about 1" up)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I was also at the Goshen lecture and disagreed with the idea of caulking on the outside of the enclosure. I caulked mine along the entire inside joint when it leaked the first time we used it and it hasn't leaked since. Since HL was known to drill holes in the enclosure to attach the frame, why trap water under it? Before caulking it, I could see where HL's attempt at caulking under the frame left gaps.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
John, just food for thought. You take a shower inside the glass and frame. So if you have a water leak....then it must be coming from inside. I would seal the inside. But thats just me. Never seen a boat leak water from the inside out.

GOTTOYS

My eyes are clear...The water gets under the framework for the shower stall. If you seal it around the outside it will drain out from under the walls and back into the shower. It all makes sense to me. I'm just quoting what the manufacturer stated. I'm thinking they might know something about this...Don

Bobby A

I'd like to give my 2 cents worth hear, my shower leaked from day one, had it repaired several times by dealer and myself and it still leaked. While at the Goshen Rally last year the manufacture of the shower doors was there and I told them about my delimma, I asked if I could have 5 minutes of there time and come back to my coach and see. When there arrived they found that the shower enclosure/ doors were never installed properly. They have to snap in place and are held by a set screw. once they snapped it in place and put a set screw in, and put a small bead of caulk on the OUTSIDE it has never leaked again.

Food for thought,
Bobby A

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I was also at the Goshen lecture and disagreed with the idea of caulking on the outside of the enclosure. I caulked mine along the entire inside joint when it leaked the first time we used it and it hasn't leaked since. Since HL was known to drill holes in the enclosure to attach the frame, why trap water under it? Before caulking it, I could see where HL's attempt at caulking under the frame left gaps.

JohnDar makes an excellent point here. The neo Angle shower enclosure is installed and screwed to the base. Water would potentially get into or through those drilled holes and cause future damage.
I don't disagree though, Caulking outside the enclosure is a great idea but steps need to be taken prior to doing it. Remove the entire enclosure, clean up the mess that's already there and reinstall the enclosure and caulk the perimeter from the outside. Be sure to caulk the screw holes from the factory install. I've attached pictures of my shower from several years ago. I caulked on the inside because I didn't know any better BUT, I have no leaks either.
I have also found that water can get into the frame through the rubber bead seal around the glass panel as shown in one of the pics.
AND, When installed at the factory, the vertical frame pieces that attach to the right and left sides were not radiused, making it difficult to caulk. I radiused the corners for a better fit.

Attachments

• glass seal trim.jpg
    glass seal trim.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Left side base.JPG
    Left side base.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Right side base.JPG
    Right side base.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 47
  • before clean up.JPG
    before clean up.JPG