Stuff needed to get started

sjrellis

It has been 25 years since we bought an rv (and it was used, so it came with the extras). So, what I'm looking for is a list of things we will need to have when the 5th wheel is ready. We are getting a "good" sewer hose and "good" water hose from the dealer along with the 50 to 30 amp doo-hickey (can you tell I'm greenish?). Can ya'll help me with some things we can go ahead and get bought?

Thanks!!

Forrest Fetherolf

sjrellis said:
It has been 25 years since we bought an rv (and it was used, so it came with the extras). So, what I'm looking for is a list of things we will need to have when the 5th wheel is ready. We are getting a "good" sewer hose and "good" water hose from the dealer along with the 50 to 30 amp doo-hickey (can you tell I'm greenish?). Can ya'll help me with some things we can go ahead and get bought?

Thanks!!

Yes I can..................go to Camping World and troll each and every aisle very slowly. You will soon find out what you need in a hurry. I have been going back for years and I still find neat things to buy. After hours, when Camping World is closed, go on-line and you will find more and more. Every RV outing you will discover something else.............it will never end.

Oh, stay on this forum............you will find out even more.;) ;) ;) ;)

Happy RVing,
Forrest

cmart

I agree with Forrest, Camping World has more of my money than my savings account. But think about leveling blocks (wood 2x8s work really well), an extra extension cord, perhaps a ladder, 5 gallon bucket, B-B-Q grill, weather radio, awning tie down straps, the list is endless; just go shopping, lol.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
It sure is nice spending someone else's money.:) Lets see outside you need some COMFORTABLE CHAIRS and a small folding table to go in between. Get some tie downs for the awning ,deflappers for when the wind blows, party lights for those festive occasions. Probably need more sewer hose with a clear hook up so you can watch the yuck come out and know when clean. One length of water hose is never enough , pressure regulator for the hose , along with two whole house water filters hooked together for better drinking water and ice in that portable ice maker( love ours) and connect them all together with quick hose disconnects. Get a few extra rubber hose washers ,electrical , duck and teflon tape. The DW needed a fold up step (two stepper) to reach all the stuff in the cabinets and use it outside on the awning. Need a few extra light bulbs and fuses for the electric box , just in case. Definitely need extra rv toliet paper for when you get the credit card bill. :D Happy Times.--Ken

gawelsh

Hey, Ken and Kathy - is your water pressure impacted by the use of whole house filtering systems ? We've been told that 's a concern....

To the new RV'ers - CONGRATS! I have to agree with the advice to go to Camping World for supplies. Don't forget the black tank chemicals and 'special' toilet paper, trash bags inside and out. If you're travelling with a dog or two, look into the fencing at PetSmart - comes in 8 sections, hook 'em together for an outdoor "yard" right off your rig's steps , so the dog can go in and out at will.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
gawelsh said:
Hey, Ken and Kathy - is your water pressure impacted by the use of whole house filtering systems ? We've been told that 's a concern....

I have not noticed much loss in pressure if any, we use the standard sediment and then a charcoal filter. Would say the more dense of a second filter the more pressure you would lose, it all depends on how much stuff one wants to get out. I have more pressure thru the filters,than I have with the pump and fresh water tank. Lowes was cheaper on the filter cannisters (Whirlpool)than the brand Home Depot sells and all the fittings can be found there also. ----Ken

Eduardo37

The Grand Patriarch
Don't use special TP. Scott single ply disolves better in the tank and is a lot cheaper. I found that I need at least four lengths of white hose. Usually only use one or two, but when I needed more it was a long way to the store.

Some of my handiest items from CW are the magazine racks and the remote holders. They have them in a couple wood finishes for whichever trim you have. A good set of chocks that lock the wheels against each other will save you lots of rocking when set up. You'll need to know the distance between your wheels before buying them though.

Make a list on your first outing. You'll learn quickly enough what you need, or forgot. If you have something you don't use by your second or third trip, take it out. Weight is precious in this lifestyle.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
gawelsh said:

To the new RV'ers - CONGRATS! I have to agree with the advice to go to Camping World for supplies. Don't forget the black tank chemicals and 'special' toilet paper, trash bags inside and out. If you're travelling with a dog or two, look into the fencing at PetSmart - comes in 8 sections, hook 'em together for an outdoor "yard" right off your rig's steps , so the dog can go in and out at will.

http://www.jbpet.com/ has much cheaper pens for the pets than most places I've found. We bought three pens and hook them all together for a huge dog yard that has room for our three dogs!

jbeletti

Ziggy,

Great referral on the outdoor pens. We had 1 pens, then saw George and Lindsey's (gawelsh) and bought 2 more to connect them all together for a useful pen area for camping. And JB Pet seems to have a price on them that is about 60% of what we paid at PetSmart. Unless there is extra shipping due to weight, the shipping cost seems reasonable too.

Jim

Uncle Rog

Howdy, years ago, with my first TT, I asked a friend with a motor home the same question. His reply was funny at first, but made real sense when put to application. Try "camping" at your house for a few days. We started bringing some things from the house, buying some things and making a list of others. You will even start to take some things out when you realize you don't need them.....have fun!

Dog Supplies..... I have had bird dogs for years and have spent a lot of disposable income on them. Hands down the best dog supply outfit I have found is Dresslers, http://www.dresslersdog.com/ , not to be a billboard or anything but they have everything you can imagine from kennels to collars and vet supplies. The best comparison is dog wormer. Name brand ***** is $60 a quart, will treat 900#. The brand labeled for humans is 10x stronger for $20, will treat 9600#......check it out

sjrellis

I appreciate the input from everyone! I'm glad to get the info on dogs. We will have a blue heeler and a lab with us! They will be needing some fencing, so that info will come in handy!

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Thanks for the list of lists. There are a couple of those that Mark will like.

A couple of other good places to shop are Overstock.com and SmartBargains.com. Both have great deals on bedding, towels, dishes, etc. I bought a lot of stuff from them before the trailer even arrived. I ended up buying the sheets for the king bed at JC Penney's online since they are the only ones that carry Cal King sheets meant to fit mattresses as thin as RV mattresses. They are expensive, but they stay on. I think Sealy makes them.

Kristy