Key Largo

Dfurnish

Hello, My wife and I went yesterday to look at the Key Largo. We currently have a 2011 Carriage Cameo. We really like this unit but the Landmark Key Largo fixes numerous little things that we see in most 5thwheels. However while looking yesterday we looked at a Grand Canyon New but there were at least 10 or more things we saw while looking that looked like poor workman ship including rusted screws in all four of the living room Air Conditioning vents and the seam looked like it had been leaking. The Only Key Largo they had was in the service bay as it had been sold. Like most people that see this unit we loved it. However it also had numerous items wrong with it that looked like poor workmanship. We left the dealership with my wife, while liking the looks she was not impressed with the workmanship that we saw. Is this normal for Landmark? I am afraid that my wife has lost all interest in Landmark after this experience of looking at New 2013 units.

danemayer

Hi Dfurnish,

I see you've been a member of the Heartland Owners Forum for nearly 3 1/2 years. Of course I don't have any way of knowing how often you've visited. But if perchance you regularly visit this forum, one of the things that you'll see is that the vast majority of owners find that Heartland Customer Service is excellent.

One measure of a product is the perception of quality and the problems found on a new RV. Another is the level of satisfaction after using the trailer and having to get those problems corrected.

Of course we'd all prefer that there were no flaws in the workmanship and no failures. But I don't know if that's ever going to happen. We've had our share of problems, but Heartland has stood behind our Landmark. And by the way, after 2 years with about 300 nights in our RV, and over 20,000 towing miles in temps up to 108 and down to -30, we've never had a trip interrupted or cancelled. Heartland and it's suppliers have worked with us and supported us as valued customers.

Keep looking, keep asking questions, keep reading. Like some people, maybe one day you'll stop by a dealer to get a part for your current rig, and you'll come home with a new Key Largo.

jbeletti

dfurnish,

Heartland builds a fantastic coach and the Landmark is our high-end unit. While we are not perfect, we strive for it and when we've missed the mark, we work hard to take care of it. Landmark's may not be built just like your current Carriage, but I think you could be very content with one.

By the way, the Key Largo is our current top selling Landmark - just a fantastic floor plan. And we've made changes to the current 2013 model year unit that are really nice.

Consider giving it another look and best of luck and happy camping to you both, whatever RV you upgrade too.

Jim

dfurnish,

I just want to point out that my wife and I were also disappointed at what we saw at some of the dealerships. We looked for about a year before purchasing a Landmark. One dealership in particular had a Landmark (the floor plan that we ended up purchasing) on their lot for almost a year. The refer had caught on fire but they never got it fixed. It really didn't show well but they kept it open to the public. A few of their rv's (sob's) and the Landmark had rust around the air conditioner vent screws. I believe it was caused by them leaving the air on and the doors open in the summer. The condensation builds and the screws rust. I always tell people that when you go to look at a unit on a dealer's lot, keep in mind that the dealer is the owner until the unit sells. If they have a unit with problems, as the "owner" they should get them fixed. If we just let our unit set around with no maintenance it would eventually look the same. We had problems, some of which should have been caught by the dealer and by us during the PDI. There were also problems during construction that should have never happened. Albeit, after being in this unit for over 4 yrs I can honestly say that this is the best-built unit we've had yet.

danemayer pointed out about the perception of quality and the satisfaction of service, I'll add that the actual quality must be included. Please don't get me wrong-I assure you I'm NOT a cheerleader for Heartland, this is just my opinion.

Whatever you decide is your choice (or your wife's!).

dave10a

Heartland's main advantage is their customer service, but that does not mean dealer service. Dealer selection is something you should take very seriously. As far as Heartland's attention to detail and quality control is concerned, I would rate it as average.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I will add this the thread. It's really sad that a dealer will NOT fix anything that is wrong with a coach until they sell it. To me that is stupid. We looked at a NEW Mesa. The BR closet doors where falling off. We have gone back 3 times and they are still that way. SOOOOO....when someone looks at the coach, I bet they just walk away. The worse part is the salesman will lie to your face and tell you the parts are ordered and will be fixed. YEA RIGHT. Maybe someone looking at the coach broke the doors or a small child did it. It does not matter who did it.....get it fixed. You have probably lost a sales over it. We have been back 3 times in 6 months and it is still not fixed. I think HL should be all over the dealers that do that.

Dfurnish

Thanks for your input about the quality of the coach, I went back and found that the coach we were looking at was manufactured in Feb 2012 That means it has been sitting on the lot for many months and obviously many people have been in and out of the unit. We are going on a trip in October to Tennessee, hopefully we will be able to look at some additional units at dealers in the Knoxville area. I have to agree with comments below about the fact that dealers apparently do not take care of there inventory and it probably costs them sales. Our salesman was trying real hard to move us to a New Redwood they just got in stock. It was nice but I still like the Landmark better. Keeping up with inventory is expensive, but it pays off in the end. We will look again and maybe be own a Landmark by year end.

Thanks for your comments.

Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dave, be aware that Heartland has just this month introduced some new interior wood color, fabrics, features and made some adjustments to the exteriors. What you see on dealer's lots in the near future may vary from the 2012s seen now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildwolfproducts

Don't let that one time turn you away from a great unit. As like you we were looking at going with the Cameo, but they went under. We found the same issues with Cameo, DRV and a few more. Look at some and think there junk. Go to a different dealer and its like a total different RV. Guessing some dealers may get the early Monday am or late friday PM units. Because we looked at some DRV's that looked like junk and were new. Go to a different dealers lot and the same model was so much better looking. Plus some dealers do nothing to there units when there on the lot.
Never understood why they would allow someone that may be a customer into a unit before they look it over and make sure its up to standards before its opened to the public. But then again I do wish Heartlands QC people would look over each unit with the same eye they would use if it were there unit. That one thing would take care of so many issues.
But I will say it again Heartland does all they can to make it right. Theres issues with ours that needs fixing. But will do it my self or have it done local. Not taking it back to the dealership to let them try to make it right. Like the full body paint job. It needs to be wet sanded and buffed in a few spots. But its nothing I can't get taken care of here. Same as the small dent in the passengers basement door. But again If I do it, its done to what I want.

Please take a few more looks and you may well find that the Key largo fits your needs to a T.
Pete

kkamshop

Dave, be aware that Heartland has just this month introduced some new interior wood color, fabrics, features and made some adjustments to the exteriors. What you see on dealer's lots in the near future may vary from the 2012s seen now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ooooh, can't wait to see the new interiors. I hope Heartland will be the leader in moving away from the dark floors and woodwork and the brown fabrics!
Has anyone seen pics?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dfunish, just a quick post to let you know that my wife and I have a 2011 LM Keylargo and love it. We have had a few issues but Heartland has taken care of them. But you also can't expect to pull them down the road and not have things pop up from time to time. But we are very happy with the way that HL has addressed all of our issues. And with this forum and all the knowledgeable posters on it, that alone is golden to me. I hope you end up with a Keylargo. I know you will be happy! :0

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Thanks for your input about the quality of the coach, I went back and found that the coach we were looking at was manufactured in Feb 2012 That means it has been sitting on the lot for many months and obviously many people have been in and out of the unit. We are going on a trip in October to Tennessee, hopefully we will be able to look at some additional units at dealers in the Knoxville area. I have to agree with comments below about the fact that dealers apparently do not take care of there inventory and it probably costs them sales. Our salesman was trying real hard to move us to a New Redwood they just got in stock. It was nice but I still like the Landmark better. Keeping up with inventory is expensive, but it pays off in the end. We will look again and maybe be own a Landmark by year end.

Thanks for your comments.

Dave

Our experience with RVs for Less in Knoxville was absolutely great! Our Grand Canyon was prepared and cleaned before we got there and we left the lot very happily satisfied after a very good PDI. We've had a few minor issues since, but nothing that wasn't easily fixed (by me and friends), nor entirely unexpected given the condition of many of the roads we've travelled.