Need Generator Opinion

jdfishing

I have a 2013 Bighorn #3010 which is prepped for the Onan gen. and one A/C. Debating between a Honda 3000is or a Onan 3600. I have all the specs. on both, so I'm just curious what others would do. I am a little concerned on LP consumption with the Onan at 0.6 gph., and the hassel of horsing around the Honda 3000. My planned use is mainly to charge the batteries, with an occassional use for air conditioning and microwave/convection oven while dry camping. Looking for your opinions. What would do?

ILH

This past summer I did some thinking on generators too. One consideration is whether you plan to run your A/C while driving in very hot weather. If yes, the onboard generator is the was to go.

Last edited:

danemayer

occasional use for air conditioning and microwave/convection oven while dry camping.
We mainly use our generator for backup in case of power failure. We had one unexpected overnight stay at a truck stop in very hot weather. Running our Onan 5500 for 12 hours of A/C usage consumed most of a 40# tank of propane. (40# or ~9 gal. 9 gal / 12 hrs = ~.75 gph).

My point is that whether gas, diesel or LP, you need a lot of fuel to run the generator for LP on a regular basis. If we could have found an RV Park that evening, a full hookup would have cost less.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I would also consider what a built in generator will do down the road when you are ready to trade or sell. A low time generator would add greatly to the value I would think!

porthole

Retired
I would also consider what a built in generator will do down the road when you are ready to trade or sell. A low time generator would add greatly to the value I would think!

Trade in value = nothing, resale - yes, maybe.

Sure would be nice if a gen prep was available with the gasoline fuel cell as an option in non toy haulers. 25-28 gallons of gasoline will run a genny for quite some time.

dave10a

I have a 2013 Bighorn #3010 which is prepped for the Onan gen. and one A/C. Debating between a Honda 3000is or a Onan 3600. I have all the specs. on both, so I'm just curious what others would do. I am a little concerned on LP consumption with the Onan at 0.6 gph., and the hassel of horsing around the Honda 3000. My planned use is mainly to charge the batteries, with an occassional use for air conditioning and microwave/convection oven while dry camping. Looking for your opinions. What would do?

I wired a 30 amp twist lock from the front of the trailer to the junction box that was for the generator of my generator prep package. I have a gas generator in the bed of the truck and connect the power cable from the generator to the twist lock. I can use the generator at home for emergency backup and the trailer while either traveling or parked. As for what type of generator you should get, it is up to you. If you use a generator extensively, either the Onan, Honda or Yamaha's are great for high usage and are built for long life. If you only use a generator infrequently, the Champion or similar light duty work great. It depends on you wallet size.

blacklabbob

I use two Honda 2000's connected in paralell. One unit is the COMPANION with a 30 Amp. plug, and the other is the standard 2000. I also use a 6 gallon gas tank with dual feeds that the generators suction from keeping them both full. (Dealers sell these also) Advantages over a single Honda 3000 w. unit are: Mine are 49 lbs. each, easy to load into the vehicle. The big Honda is 139 lbs., a very good hernia producer. I have 500 watts more continuous load. I only run one if not using an air conditioner, on the "Eco" mode, which will run forever on the gasoline listed above. Have been dry camping for over 40 years and have found this to be the best electrical power option for us.

An additional benefit is a savings on $5K over the ONAN.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
My opinion is get a Yamaha Gen. Not sure which models but they are the only one that you can have a Wireless Remote start or even wire in a remote start to your trailer. The outside connection is plugged into the genny when you use it.

Onan Gas Gen burns alot of fuel. 24 hour period (12hrs with two a/c running and 12hr with one a/c) used 17gals. The Yamaha is going to be like the Honda and burn much less fuel.

If you want to drop the cash a Diesel Onan is the way to go. 5500 Diesel Onan running one A/C burns about 7 gals in 24hr.

porthole

Retired
If you want to drop the cash a Diesel Onan is the way to go. 5500 Diesel Onan running one A/C burns about 7 gals in 24hr.

Given the choice that would be my preference.
With a Cyclone style fuel cell in the back and hydraulic quick disconnects to the truck's 65 gallon fuel tank.

TheLindsays

Our Torque is prepped for a generator... we have tossed the idea around. I am not really seeing the value but we have not really gone anywhere to need it yet either. As far as doing a short overnight in between stops it seems if we got the big Onan from what everyone is saying it would probably cost $30+ in gas to run the gen for a/c etc overnight... when for the same we could pull into a campground instead of rest area or Walmart and plug in.. so I don't see the value except it is. easier to just pull over in a drive through area and not have to unhook etc. and just wake up and go the next day. I am guessing if we go more out west there may be more places that we may want to stay for a few days that do not have power hookups.. but not really sure.. maybe some of you with gen experience and more diverse travel time can enlighten me so that I know if its worth the expense..

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our Torque is prepped for a generator... we have tossed the idea around. I am not really seeing the value but we have not really gone anywhere to need it yet either. As far as doing a short overnight in between stops it seems if we got the big Onan from what everyone is saying it would probably cost $30+ in gas to run the gen for a/c etc overnight... when for the same we could pull into a campground instead of rest area or Walmart and plug in.. so I don't see the value except it is. easier to just pull over in a drive through area and not have to unhook etc. and just wake up and go the next day. I am guessing if we go more out west there may be more places that we may want to stay for a few days that do not have power hookups.. but not really sure.. maybe some of you with gen experience and more diverse travel time can enlighten me so that I know if its worth the expense..

We have been all over the country and have never been without electric hookups. Now if you want to boondock in primitive areas there are plenty of those too but I look at it like if they did not want me to use the hookups it wouldn't be on the RV.:) The only time we have ever used our Generator (a portable 7.5kw one) was when Hurricane Ike and Rita knocked out our power for 2 weeks. But don't worry you won't have any problem finding campgrounds and RV parks with hookups all over the country. BTW if you are a VFW or American Legion member some of them have electric hookups and you can stay in their parking lot over night or so I have been told.

porthole

Retired

If I had a torque prepped, but no Genny installed, I doubt I would add one.
When I did have a travel trailer though we carried a Honda 3K in the bed of the truck. And if we had kept that trailer I would have added a transfer switch and an inlet for Genny power up near the front so I could use the Genny with a short cord, even while traveling.

We will stay in state and national parks in our area, and few have electric.

I don't care for the propane powered Genny because of the cost of fuel. Our Onan 5.5 is gasoline powered and in 6 days of intermittent use at Dover this past summer we used about 30 gallons of gas.
At times we had 2 AC's running along with all the other stuff and at times nothing more then the coffee maker.

Because of that min/max use, next years race will have the Honda along as well. The Onan is fairly quiet and efficient, but he Honda is even quieter and more efficient and more suited to the average load we will be running. And I can leave it at the back of the trailer.
I have found with extended use like 10+ hours, the CO meter will alarm due to gradual low level build up inside, especially windless days. This is especially an issue with our annual dog camp if the Genny is needed. We are parked along a small hill that is twice the height of the trailer. Close enough that the exhaust pipe is only 5-6" from the ground. A "Genturi" is on the plans for next year to minimize that.

Keep in mind when sizing a Genny, too big a Genny and too little a load is not best for equipment longevity. Same with the opposite.

AND - with or without a Genny - make sure you have a function CO detector - meaning change the batteries and test. Goes for your smokes too.

Like my thread on the value of AED's with heart attacks saving peoples lives, CO and smoke detectors have saved more lives then you can imagine.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
We have a 5.5 Onam in the Cyclone (came in the rig as we bought it used).
We have only used it as a backup power source this first year. The rig was used for household guests a couple nights during the summer and the Onan was used to run the AC's to cool it down before bedtime. We also used it for a couple hrs in a campground with 30A only as the outside temps reached 100. The generator let us use the second AC til the sun went down.
I guess I would have to say it's a nice convenience more than a necessity in our case. I'm sure the money wouldn't be recouped when reselling but I would bet that, side by side, a rig with a generator would sell before the one without.

PUG

Pug
take a look at the Champion brand. they have a 3500/4000 watt model with auto start or pull start and they are dependable and don't break the bank.