Keeping the Bugs Off

J-W&E

I use "Lucas Slick Mist" on the truck. It makes the finish real slick and I notice the bugs don't stick on the front. Has anyone every used it on the nose of your camper?

aatauses

Here are two ideas I have learned from others: 1. After you pull into your site, and before you open that first beer, get a bucket of hot, hot water and sponge the bugs off the cap--they will come right off. 2. You can buy a roll of "road wrap" from CW--it is the same material they use when shipping new cars. So far I have only used it under the cap (where tires throw up tar), after we arrive just peel it off, throw away and put on more the next time you take off. People have said they put it on their caps,(for easy bug removable) but I have not tried this yet, afraid of the decals coming off when it is removed.
Hope this helps.
al

wrgrs50s

I went to Auto Zone recently, found the Lucas Slick Mist and decided to give it a try and here's my experience. First thing I noticed was that there was no cleaning effect at all. If you put it over a stain, or black streak, it just stays on top. The liquid is very thin and clear to light blue, and smells good enough to eat "Bubblegum smell". I had already washed the front cap, but a few of the bug stains, and very light black streaks remained, so I was hoping it would clean the stains but it didnt. I continued to apply to the whole cap and noticed as It dried, the shine was mediocre. It definately did not bring out any shine where the cap was already fading, or starting to dull. It did feel very slick afterward but I was not impressed with the final finish.
For my next test, I ordered some rejex and am hoping since it rubs in and hazes over like wax, maybe it will help clean any black streaks or stains that are left after washing. I want it to be easy to clean the bugs off after a trip, but I also want it to have a polished shine in between.

Rodbuster

Please understand that this is only my opinion and not a comment to argue.
I would think that the "first" job would be to clean and remove any and all bug stains. If your using rejex on top of any type of stains, aren't you just sealing in that stain making it much harder to remove in the future.

I've heard that rejex is great stuff, but I would like to find some great stuff to remove "all" of the bug stains and then apply rejex.

Thank you
Dick

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I would think that the "first" job would be to clean and remove any and all bug stains. If your using rejex on top of any type of stains, aren't you just sealing in that stain making it much harder to remove in the future.Thank you Dick

This is an accurate comment. I am an advocate of Rejex and have used it for many years on our BC, my bike, and my dads Cherokee. It is a sealer that requires a clean surface before application.

From the Rejex FAQ's
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Will RejeX help clean my vehicle?

RejeX is not a cleaner. It is important to get your vehicle as clean as possible prior to applying the product. RejeX leaves a durable protective barrier, but it will seal in stains just as effectively as it seals them out.
[/FONT]​

sjs731

Before the first beer? Are you insane? ;)

Exactly! First beer is opened while water heater is getting water hot. I do use Rejex and have used it since our rig was new and have no problem removing black streaks or bugs. I may also be crazy but I wash it every other week whether being used or sitting in the driveway. Easier to keep it clean if it never gets too dirty.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rodbuster

Still looking for the best product to get the stains off.
Not polishing, not waxing, not getting the actual wings, legs or body of the bug off, not general cleaning but getting the "stain" that the bug leaves if you can't get to cleaning your rig right away.

aatauses

By using hot hot water before the bugs actually dry and stain, all will come off, bugs, stain, parts, etc. Again, the trick I learned was to do ity right after you get set up, not the next day as they will have already dried and stained your rig
al

wrgrs50s

I went to Auto Zone recently, found the Lucas Slick Mist and decided to give it a try and here's my experience. First thing I noticed was that there was no cleaning effect at all. If you put it over a stain, or black streak, it just stays on top. The liquid is very thin and clear to light blue, and smells good enough to eat "Bubblegum smell". I had already washed the front cap, but a few of the bug stains, and very light black streaks remained, so I was hoping it would clean the stains but it didnt. I continued to apply to the whole cap and noticed as It dried, the shine was mediocre. It definately did not bring out any shine where the cap was already fading, or starting to dull. It did feel very slick afterward but I was not impressed with the final finish.
For my next test, I ordered some rejex and am hoping since it rubs in and hazes over like wax, maybe it will help clean any black streaks or stains that are left after washing. I want it to be easy to clean the bugs off after a trip, but I also want it to have a polished shine in between.

Ok, I got my rejex and tried a spot that had some faint black streaks and it also did not remove them. I know you are suppose to have a clean surface to start with but it sure would have been nice if it cleaned and protected in the same application for us lazy folk. So, I had some stuff made by KIT Wax, it's called "scratch remover" designed for clear coat auto surfaces. I used this on my previous trailer when it had bugs and black streaks and the front cap was dull. It works extremely well with very little effort (not recommended for vinyl, although I did get some on mine with no problems I could see). There is some sort of cleaner in it that cuts right through the stains immediately. To actually remove scratches you have to use a buffer, so I'm thinking it has a super fine grit that will remove scratches for clear coat applications. It also wipes off as easy as the rejex. I applied this on my front cap and got it spotless and then applied the rejex, so I'm hoping the combo of the two will make the bugs come off easier and keep it clean and shiny. I'm taking a short trip after my thanksgiving dinner and I will see how easy the bugs come off when I get home on Sunday. I went ahead and used the scratch remover on my whole rig since it worked so well. Here's a few pics. IMAG0072.jpgIMAG0074.jpg You can see the reflection of my shop in the side of the trailer

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Has anyone tried Can-Do by Saeng Inc? I use it routinely on my truck and motorcycles. I am purchasing a new BH3585RL and want to make sure that it will not harm any of the gel coat or graphics before I use it. I can honestly say that in my 10+ years of using that product it has proven to be a great cleaner and protectant all in one. Here is a link in case anyone is interested http://www.saeng.com/dproduct.php?id=695&category=58.

1231ChaseB

For Y'all who will be going to Fl. just wait till i go later this month,and from the look's of the bug's on my Cyclone, i will have killed every bug between Michigan & Fl.
There you go, no bug's to clean off !
chaseb

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
For Y'all who will be going to Fl. just wait till i go later this month,and from the look's of the bug's on my Cyclone, i will have killed every bug between Michigan & Fl.
There you go, no bug's to clean off !
chaseb

I have often wondered the same thing. How can there be any bugs left after killing as many as you do when you travel from point A to point B.?

Cyberdave

For removing stuck bugs, we've used a Mister Clean Magic Eraser. Wet the area and gently scrub the area while keeping the cap wet. The old bugs, new bugs and those pesky black streaks came off our Cameo. I have NOT tried it on our new rig's full body paint.. If I do, it will be in a very discrete area because if it does damage... I might disappear like Hoffa.

ak1971

New owner to heartland, the best cleaner for the wonderful Luv Bugs is a simple dryer sheet, like bounce. I was amazed that it worked, an ole timer I was taliking with told me and we tried it and it works great. Google it and its there also.

danemayer

New owner to heartland, the best cleaner for the wonderful Luv Bugs is a simple dryer sheet, like bounce. I was amazed that it worked, an ole timer I was taliking with told me and we tried it and it works great. Google it and its there also.

Hi ak1971,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here, along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

Thanks for joining the conversation.