Valve core replacement

rjr6150

Checked the tire pressures yesterday and after removing the TPMS one of the tires was leaking past the valve core. Been a number of years since i've had to change one of these. Are they a standard size and anything special one needs to do.

DougS

Doug S
I had a valve leak on me this summer, the TST picked up on the low pressure. All my tires had metal stems except that one. Replaced stem with an all metal stem, all is good. I now carry a spare metal stem since not all tire shops seem to have them.

GOTTOYS

Very simple to replace just the core itself. It also might just be loose. You will need a valve cap with the two notches in it or a valve core removal tool. Both work the same way. Just push it inside the stem and unscrew the core. While you do this the air will be rushing out. Hold the new one in place so the air pressure doesn't launch it and screw it in with the same tool. You will need to air the tire up a bit when you are done..Don

donr827

I had the same problem when I took mine off after our last trip. All I did to stop the leak was to tighten the valve stem core. You can buy the tool from most auto parts stores.
Don

lwmcguir

Checked the tire pressures yesterday and after removing the TPMS one of the tires was leaking past the valve core. Been a number of years since i've had to change one of these. Are they a standard size and anything special one needs to do.
They are all the same size as far as I know.