TST TPMS 507 - do I need metal stems?

u243412

So before my China bombs blow on our Cyclone, I'm ordering the TST 507 system for our rig. (I'll be upgrading tires in spring next year)

I called TST and they said because the 507 sensors are only 13g's, I wouldn't need the metal stems.
I have read some discussions on people having leaks from both metal and rubber stems. When I upgrade to new tires (GY114's or 614's), should I request to get the metal stems installed - or does it matter for the 507 sensors? Maybe people are having some leaks on rubber stems due to the sensor weight.

tia,

lwmcguir

So before my China bombs blow on our Cyclone, I'm ordering the TST 507 system for our rig. (I'll be upgrading tires in spring next year)

I called TST and they said because the 507 sensors are only 13g's, I wouldn't need the metal stems.
I have read some discussions on people having leaks from both metal and rubber stems. When I upgrade to new tires (GY114's or 614's), should I request to get the metal stems installed - or does it matter for the 507 sensors? Maybe people are having some leaks on rubber stems due to the sensor weight.

tia,
It would be an extremely sorry tire dealer if you were able to convice them to install rubber stems on 12/14 ply tires. Steel only.

piet10

I went through the same process as you did. I ordered the TST 507, but with the flow-through sensors. I read in several posts that the constant flexing will wear out the rubber extensions, so tomorrow I have an appointment to balance the tires and install metal stems. At $20 per tire, it's cheap insurance considering the safety issue involved, and the possibility of damage to the coach.

Al

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The wheels may come with a rubber stem with a metal jacket. We thought these would be fine. After a few thousand miles, we noticed marks on the rims beside where the sensors are. I assume this meant the stems were flexing.(see pic) I would upgrade to full metal if you plan to have a TPMS system on them. (we did).ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347938434.961163.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vtxkid

The wheels may come with a rubber stem with a metal jacket. We thought these would be fine. After a few thousand miles, we noticed marks on the rims beside where the sensors are. I assume this meant the stems were flexing.(see pic) I would upgrade to full metal if you plan to have a TPMS system on them. (we did).View attachment 21271

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same problem here! Switched to metal valve stems and all is good!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2