I shorted pos & neg terminals & now batteries are dead

rick_debbie_gallant

Okay I shorted between the battery and the ground. :mad::mad::confused::mad::mad: 12 volt things worked great untill 36 hours later when the batteries were dead. converter not humming or running. good power to the converter via 110. charging batteries with a 6 amp battery charger. Slow but charging. In PEI now but stuff here is pricy. going to get a larger charger for the time being until we get home unless that is you guys help me bring my progressive 9200 back to life and tell me what I missed. so start thinking.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Re: sparked between positive and negative, now batteries wont charge, dead

Just a shot in the dark - check the three fuses on the converter.

jnbhobe

I'd bet on Gus's shot in the dark!! Should bring light on the subject. Three ATC 30 fuses on the converter itself.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

If you've never ventured into that area of your basement, it does require a bit of manual dexterity. Also, carry a flashlight (standup type works best) and a pair of needle nosed pliers to get the fuses out to check. While you're there, make sure the converter is plugged in to a 110 outlet (but unplug it before checking the fuses:eek:, or cut the power to the coach).

ckrspan5

go to progressive dynamics website, download the manual and it will show a "reverse polarity" fuse. replace this and you should be good to go. After replacing the fuse ensure you have 13.6 volt output to recharge your battery. you probably did not do any other damage. this fuse is there for people like us!!!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

I 3rd the motion on a blown fuse in the convertor.

wdk450

If you've never ventured into that area of your basement, it does require a bit of manual dexterity. Also, carry a flashlight (standup type works best) and a pair of needle nosed pliers to get the fuses out to check. While you're there, make sure the converter is plugged in to a 110 outlet (but unplug it before checking the fuses:eek:, or cut the power to the coach).

Just a helpful hint on doing emergency work in the storage compartment "crawl space". I found that one of the headlight type flashlights did the best job for me, and enabled me to aim light where I needed it, without having to occupy one of my hands. I got 2 of these as a thoughtful gift from my son's family, and have also used them at night when boondocking and trying to conserve trailer battery power.

dave10a

First you should never let your batteries go below 50% charge because it dramatically shortens their life. Second your truck alternator will provide more charging power to the trailer batteries by connecting the 7 pin trailer connector. I had Ford install the two alternator option for that reason, but the single alternator for diesel trucks provide a fair amount of power.

wdk450

First you should never let your batteries go below 50% charge because it dramatically shortens their life. Second your truck alternator will provide more charging power to the trailer batteries by connecting the 7 pin trailer connector. I had Ford install the two alternator option for that reason, but the single alternator for diesel trucks provide a fair amount of power.

The small wiring gauge in the truck wiring to the 7 way connector, along with the current limitations of the connector, severely limits the amount of current availible from the truck to the trailer. People seriously wanting to run 12 volt electrical stuff in the trailer(like inverters connected to residential refrigerators) have installed a large gauge charging line (and large gauge ground wire) from the truck battery to a high current connector to the trailer, and then on to the trailer's battery. This hookup mirrors the wiring setup in motorhomes between the 2 sets of batteries and also includes a diode or relay battery isolator device in the charging line.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Aye, ye who would enter the Basement O' Doom BEWARE! Great evil lurks there for the unwary. Many have entered, few have returned.

OK, enough B.S., here's the Progressive manual which generic for the 9200 series. Mine was located up against the rear wall of the basement, over the black tank, and under the anti-siphon valve. In the jungle photo, it was in the corner behind the black tank piping. Whilte you're in there, Rick, move it towards the front of that floor extension and orient the fan forward so it doesn't pick up dust and crud (which mine was sitting in). The power cord is long enough to reach to the outlet it was in and the wires are flexible enough to allow repositioning it.

View attachment 21312

dave10a

The small wiring gauge in the truck wiring to the 7 way connector, along with the current limitations of the connector, severely limits the amount of current availible from the truck to the trailer. People seriously wanting to run 12 volt electrical stuff in the trailer(like inverters connected to residential refrigerators) have installed a large gauge charging line (and large gauge ground wire) from the truck battery to a high current connector to the trailer, and then on to the trailer's battery. This hookup mirrors the wiring setup in motorhomes between the 2 sets of batteries and also includes a diode or relay battery isolator device in the charging line.

The batter charge wire in the 7 pin connector are large enough to handle a lot more than 6 amps. I checked mine which is a Ford installed 10 gauge wire which will do the job very nicely, and it will charge a lot faster than the 6 amp charger mentioned.

rick_debbie_gallant

Well I got around to ordering a new convertor two days ago. It came yesterday and I installed it today. All is well and working like a charm. Just cost me another 116.00 bucks or simply put another way 9 gallons of fuel for the truck or still another way 90 miles of traveling. And still another way, 1 weeks army pay, circa 1971.:cool: