Radio AV In #1 has Hum when hot water tank is on

pa_harley

I just purchased a 2010 305 Road Warrior and when watching TV and using the Jensen Power 760 the TV sound uses the AV in-1 setting on the radio (jensen dv2007). I kept noticing a hum in the ceiling speakers only, that comes and goes, I have now discovered the humming starts when the hot water tank lights and continues until the hot water tank shuts off. Does anybody know of a line filter that could stop the humming. Or another way to stop this annoying hum? It does not hum through the speakers on the TV. Thanks!

jimtoo

Re: Radio AV in-1 has Hum when hot water tank is on

Hi pa-harley,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I have never heard of anything like that myself, but maybe some of the others have. Hopefully you will get some information soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

pa_harley

Thanks for moving my post to the audio section.
Update: I noticed that the DC fans, also make a different noise through the ceiling speakers. You can hear the running fan motors coming through the sound system as well.

jimtoo

Thanks for moving my post to the audio section.
Update: I noticed that the DC fans, also make a different noise through the ceiling speakers. You can hear the running fan motors coming through the sound system as well.

I just replied and moved the other post also. Check it out. :)

Jim M

wdk450

This hum on the stereo when the water heater AC is turned on suggests an electrical leakage/grounding problem with the water heater. If there is a poor ground to the entire trailer from the electrical service/cord/connectors this could result in the exposed metal exterior parts of your trailer becoming an electrical shock hazard. A qualified RV servicer should be able to check this out by disconnecting the water heater ground wire, then measuring the AC voltage on the water heater exposed metal parts to ground. If there is 110 VAC voltage, there is probably a problem. This is usually caused by a defective electric heater element that has corroded out with time. Also have the heater sacrificial anode checked out to see if it needs to be replaced. When testing with live electricity be careful and insulate your body from contact. Also make sure the water heater is full of water whenever you turn the heating element on.