Dodge 3500 mega cab

I'm looking at buying a Dodge 3500 Megacab to pull my Bighorn 36RE. Does anyone have any experience with this truck and pulling a 5th wheel. I am looking for all the pros and cons.

danemayer

You didn't say whether you're looking at single rear wheel or dually. I would suggest that before buying, you find the actual payload specification for the truck you're looking at, and see if it has enough capacity to carry the pin weight of the Bighorn.

Dodge now has a convenient lookup page here. Note that when sorted for greatest payload, several duallies (look at the photos) are at the top with hefty payload specs in the 4800# range. The first 3500 SRW that comes up shows a payload of 2103. If you click on megacabs, and 3.73 rear axle, you'll see payloads in the 2500# range.

The Heartland site shows the BH 3610RE having a pin weight of 2115. However, this is the base configuration with nothing of yours in it. With options and your stuff, you could easily get into the 2500-3000# range.

I'm not trying to argue whether GM or FORD or DODGE is best. I'm just suggesting that when you're talking with the Dodge salesman, make sure you know what you're buying before you buy.

A good resource for matching trucks and trailers is Fifth Wheel Safe Towing.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I'm using a 2010 Dodge 3500 DRW to pull our Landmark Grand Canyon. Pulls great and gets decent mileage.

I have a 2008 Dodge 3500 SRW with airbags and it pulls my Bighorn with ease. My brother in law just bought a 2012 3500 Dodge and pulls a 5th wheel bigger than mine with ease. Don't see a problem for you.

cms

I pull a 4100 king with a 2012 Dodge DRW 3500. I have airbags on mine. I've had to get used to the 6 speed tranny opposed to my 06 Megacab with the old 48RE 4 speed. Mine is geared 3.73 and pulls great in 5th. I go back and forth almost everyday on whether I should have got a 4.10 gear. The truck is great, choosing the rear end gear is what you need to put some thought into.

PUG

Pug
I had an 02 Chev 3/4 ton SWD pulling our old 09 3950 Cyclone. Overloaded and underpowered. Purchased an 09 Ram Mega DWD and love it. We sold the cyclone needing more living space and purchaseed a 11 Carriage 36fws which is as heavy as the Cyclone. Dual wheels necessary for safety and capacity. Mega is wonderful, construction is very good, Cummins is a very strong workhorse. Used to drive interstate truck and cummins was my favorite. Very quiet, sweet to listen to and engine brake is great. I have six speed auto and wouldn't have anything else. Rams seem to have more little RV things built into them.

GOTTOYS

Pay close attention to the rear axle load capacity, especially on a Mega cab. Dodge has relatively low load capacities compared to other brands. It's pretty easy to have more pin weight than is recommended...Don

Birchwood

Its very simple, just don't exceed the GVWR stamped on the door sill of the Megacab.
If you are within these limits you and your truck will be safe.

ILH

I'm a GMC person at heart - but when my truck was in the body shop recently to fix a booboo (don't ask), the insurance company provided a Dodge 2500 replacement. I'm pleased to admit that the Dodge had a VERY quiet ride. I was also impressed with the creature comforts.

When it comes time for a replacement rig in a few years, I'll give Dodge an honest look.

GOTTOYS

Its very simple, just don't exceed the GVWR stamped on the door sill of the Megacab.
If you are within these limits you and your truck will be safe.
It's not just the gross vehicle weight rating you need to worry about, it's also the gross rear axle weight rating. My Dodge was weighed at Goshen with the trailer hooked up. I was within all the allowable weight ratings except..I was over on the rear axle weight. My Ram handles my trailer just fine, they are just a great truck but the shortcoming is they do not have as large a carrying capacity as Ford or GM. Even though they use the exact same AAR 11 1/2" rear axle assembly as the new GMs they are not rated to carry the same amount of weight...Don

danemayer

Lots of helpful recommendations here. Basically any recent diesel from Ford, GM, or Dodge probably has enough pulling power. But there are differences across brands (and within brands) in how much weight you can carry (payload), sometimes discussed as weight on the rear axle. There can be very big differences between SRW and DRW.

What happens if you put more weight on the rear axle than it's rated for? Safety and handling issues. Excess wear and tear on truck and trailer. Rough ride. Nothing good.

I can understand using a truck you already own, but no one should start out with a problem that can be avoided.

u243412

If you go with a Mega Cab Dually, you'll still be way way over on payload. (They are short box RAMs)
I've got a '12 Cyclone 3010 - I would have been at the limit with that short box. I wanted to put in a slip tank and carry other stuff like tools in my box - I would have been way over. I went with a '12 Ram DRW long box - very nice compared to my Duramax SRW. You need a DRW and make sure you check the payloads compared to what your rig is. You'll be shocked at how heavy rigs are when you get all loaded up.
Good luck

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
I have BH and tow with an O5 Dodge Quad cab 3500 SRW. I am looking at a 2010 Mega cab 3500 SRW. Dodge spec says quad box is 76.3 in and mega box is 67.4 that is 8.9 inches shorter. In the picture in their flyer the distance between the back of cab and rear wheels is noticable shorter. My concern is turning. With the shorter distance can you still do sharp turns. I live on a narrow street and when I back in my quad now it gets very sharp and there is clearance between cab and trailer but not much. How is backing a mega SRW short box in tight situtations ?? Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
Wayne

billnsue

I have a 2011 Ram 3500 SRW, 8' bed with 4:10 rear. Pulls the 2011 Bighorn 3670RL great. Also with the engine brake running through the mountains is a joy. Pulling I get between 10 & 11 mpg. Running around town it's about 16.5.
Looked at the megacab but really wanted the 8' box.

wdk450

not as many 5th wheels being pulled with a dodge as their is with a GM or Ford why?

It might be that there aren't nearly as many Dodge dealers as they used to be. For some reason a couple of years ago, Chrysler/Dodge closed down about 30% of their dealerships, including one that had been going over 40 years here in metro Sacramento.
On the other hand, a "horsey" friend of mine says the Dodge trucks are the predominant horse trailer haulers at the horse shows he goes to.

jnbhobe

I think part of the reason is the Dodges aren't rated heavy enough to pull the heavy rigs. I heard Dodge is going to raise the ratings on the mid 2013 models. They have all the right stuff just not the numbers on the door post.

rick_debbie_gallant

Never have had problems pulling our 3670 with our dodge. Me thinks Dodge is just being ultra conservative with their numbers. They have a huge safety's factor (in my opinion that is).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk