Advice on surge protectors

Hello, we have a big country 3355RL. We have it on a seasonal site which we go to often. and pull off for trips. We lost our tv in late winter, and a microwave about a month ago. Both after big storms. I'm researching surge protectors and would like to know what is working well for everybody else. Any helpful info would be appreciated!!
Matt

jimtoo

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information they are willing to share when needed.

Leaving you unit on a seasonal site I would recommend a surge protector that is hard wired in the basement area. There are several different ones and they are all good, some of our members will be jumping in with what they use. I personally use one that is plugged into the pedestal and it has saved me a couple of times. This is link to Tweety's catalog for Progressive units, probably the most popular.

Enjoy the forum and get protected.

Jim M

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
I have the Progressive HW-50. Earlier this year there was a power surge in the park where we were camping. My neighbor lost his TV, Converter, Microwave, and Refrigerator control board. I lost nothing. More than paid for itself in one incident. I am a believer in the importance of surge protectors.

jpdoggett

I just got the TRC Surge Guard 34750 will be using it when we get back to Texas hope it does what it says it will

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
We have the Progressive HW 30 w/ remote display (HW= hard wired and 30 =30 amp, we have a small trailer) and it saved us the first time out.
Would not be without it.
Good Luck!

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I bought the hard wired Surge Guard because I found one on EBay at an unbeatable price.
Remember that these devices aren't going to provide much protection from a lightning strike itself. The protection from over or under voltages and faulty wiring in the campground system is well worth the cost of the device though!

Gizzy

We had the Progressive HW-50 installed when we bought our coach. Have lost track of the number of times it has saved us since we bought it 2 yrs/15,000 miles ago. Highly recommend it.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
Jim, we just purchased this one for the Hattiesburg Rally. We took a roadtrip to see the park, followed the directions, then plugged it into the pedestal on our site. It was a bright day, but we didn't see the lights light up. Bad part, or have campground check it?

Birchwood

Surge Protection should be built in to an RV.I am constantly trying to simplify my full time RV lifestyle and having to
purchase and connect a surge protector goes against the rules.I don't want to carry another piece of "what if this happens" gear
Really..........what are the odds????

danemayer

Surge Protection should be built in to an RV.I am constantly trying to simplify my full time RV lifestyle and having to
purchase and connect a surge protector goes against the rules.I don't want to carry another piece of "what if this happens" gear

What are the odds that a campground will have a pedestal with a loose wire or other problem? What are the odds there'll be a voltage spike or brownout courtesy of the power company where you happen to be staying? Hard to say.

Many of us have EMS/Surge Protectors and have experienced them shutting down power to protect the RV because of external power problems. Then you plug into the next pedestal and everything works fine. Problem solved - no damage. How often does it happen? To me, once in 2 years. But who wants to spend $5,000 replacing appliances once every 2 years?

If you want a simple solution, ask your dealer to install an inline EMS/Surge Protector internal to the RV. It'll protect your rig without you having to do anything.

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Yep lets let the mfgr install a built in surge protector at a price higher than you can buy it at a independent supplier. If it is installed and you have a surge, it protects your trailer and is burned up in the process. Now we call the Mfgr because the protector burned up inside the trailer and it is a real PITA because we are going to have to get way back in there and replace that thing they installed before you can connect to another shore power.

Gosh all the problems because it was installed inside the trailer by the mfgr. I wish the Mfgr would just give me an external surge protector that was really good not that cheap old thing inside.

Buy the one you want and take responsibility for where you plug your thing into. :cool:

BC

mobilcastle

I have a 2010 Bighorn 3670 and I want to install a hardwire progressive unit. Where is the best place to mount it? Pull the breaker box and remove the line and add some wire to mount in that area or cut the line near the inverter. There does not seem to be a lot of slack in the line. Thanks for your info.
Steve

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think the best way to do it is to first buy about 5 feet of the correct size cable.
Then disconnect the supply from the beaker panel.
Connect you new wire to the breaker panel, then connect the two ends to the correct terminals on the EMS.
You will want to remove the basement wall to do this.
Oh, unless you installed an inverter, you have a converter.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Tool958

One other thing I did was buy two male and two female 50 amp plugs and install them before and after the surge protector. That way if there ever is a problem with the surge protector itself, it can be bypassed to supply power to the coach until a replacement can be put in. I put zip ties around the plugs to insure that they couldn't work loose behind the basement wall.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have a 2010 Bighorn 3670 and I want to install a hardwire progressive unit. Where is the best place to mount it? Pull the breaker box and remove the line and add some wire to mount in that area or cut the line near the inverter. There does not seem to be a lot of slack in the line. Thanks for your info.
Steve

I mounted my suppressor and the converter on the side of the framing for the bedroom steps. Gets it out of the way of any water leaks and makes them more accessible, if needed. I've also made access panels in the basement walls so I can get in there without dismantling the whole basement wall.

View attachment 21577View attachment 21578

scottyb

I am about to buy the Progressive HW-50, and install it myself. I am going to install it after the transfer switch so the generator power is surge protected also. Personally, I like the oportunity to choose which surge protector I want to install, rather than having the cheapest one they can find. I intend to upgrade other components as necessary.

floridarandy

Will be installing the Progressive Industries 50 Amp Surge Protector With Voltage Protection EMSLCHW50 (hardwired version) this weekend. Picked up the few supplies I'll need and it looks pretty straight forward. Will post pics if I can.

Got what I think is a good deal from RVPlus online for $274.99 ($286.46 with shipping). See here.

Randy

mobilcastle

I am about to buy the Progressive HW-50, and install it myself. I am going to install it after the transfer switch so the generator power is surge protected also. Personally, I like the oportunity to choose which surge protector I want to install, rather than having the cheapest one they can find. I intend to upgrade other components as necessary.

That is an excellent unit but make sure you mount it where you can read the screen. I bought the next one up and it has a remote reader. I installed the reader where the tank reader is and slide switch for slides. BTW it works great-you can see the voltage on each leg, how many amps per leg being used and any errors. have fun!!