Satellite for 2012 Greystone

llyssy

We are looking at installing a satellite system in our 2012 Greystone to run all 4 TVs (Livingroom, Bedroom, Bunkroom, and Outdoor Kitchen). Any suggestions on what type of equipment that we should purchase and how to set it up so that all TVs will receive the satellite signal? I'm not even sure that this is possible.

danemayer

Hi llyssy,

I think you have 2 possible paths:

The first is to put a satellite receiver at each TV location and be able to watch different programs on each at the same time. This is how a house would be set up. Looking at the coax layout for the Sundance, which is probably similar to your Greystone, it looks like there's a single satellite coax run to one TV location, but you may have 4 separate antenna/cable coax runs to each of the TVs. Unfortunately, the signals from the sat dish will not travel to a receiver by way of the antenna/cable wiring. All that to say, if you want 4 receivers, you'll need to run satellite coax to the 3 locations currently not wired for satellite.

The 2nd option is to have a single satellite receiver that has a coax output (not all of them do). There are some people who have had some success modifying the coax lines at the signal booster to allow satellite receiver output to flow "backwards" through the antenna/cable connection to the other TV locations. Someone is likely to jump in with details.

You could also opt for some combination of the two; 2 or 3 satellite receivers with some new coax runs, and the remaining feeds through the antenna/cable wiring.

A lot of people are going with auto-aiming carryout satellite dishes. I think some may feed up to 2 receivers, which would put you into the combination scenario. With Dish programming, the carryouts give you high-def TV. With Directv programming, they're limited to standard def.

It's pretty complicated, but if you study the choices and the equipment options, with some work you can get there.

Nathan

We are looking at installing a satellite system in our 2012 Greystone to run all 4 TVs (Livingroom, Bedroom, Bunkroom, and Outdoor Kitchen). Any suggestions on what type of equipment that we should purchase and how to set it up so that all TVs will receive the satellite signal? I'm not even sure that this is possible.

Ok, I feel like I am a satellite TV GURU after getting mine hooked up. Take a look at this thread that I started in April. It took me a few tries but I figured it out. I will cut and paste comment #17 below which describes the steps to hook up your satellite to make all your tv's work off of one receiver. Note; you will only get the one channel. It is very easy it you follow the steps below.

The items you will need are:
1) One Diplexer (it is a fancy splitter that allows you to utilize the satellite signal) This will end up being placed before the receiver to continue the satellite signal. Once you go from the receiver and backfeed the signal has been converted (by the receiver) so that your regular splitters will allow the signal to the rest of your tv's.
2) Probably around 6 to 9 feet of RG6 cable
3) a couple barrell connectors (for testing your system in the beginning)

OK, now that you have all that keep reading below.

IT FINALLY WORKS!!!!
OK. Guys.. I did what Silverado said and it works. Park Cable, Antenna and Satellite TV. This is what I did. 1) Hooked Satellite cable directly to receiver to ensure I have a signal. 2) unhooked the cable from the reciever and put it in the park cable hook up. IT did not work. 3) Unscrewed the amplifier and hooked the Satellite cable to the middle wire (Cable).(So, the feed from the LNB is in the "park cable" outlet barrel connected to where the park cable was plugged into the amplifier and ran that to the TV receiver and this worked, so now I have figured out that at least the main feed from the outside to the amplifier will allow me to keep my satellite signal. 4) Run to Radio shack and picked up a Diplexer $21.99(note: they are 11.99 at home depot and I found that out later). 5) hook up diplexer and then run all the cables back to where they were with a jumper now going to the amplifier. 6) Run a new wire from the new connection on the diplexer to the reciever in the main area. I did this because the cable that was run to the TV would not support the satellite connection (go figure). 7) put new wall plate on so it supports the two connection (park cable/satellite). If you need to see pics[URL="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151515048485174&set=a.10151515046500174.843830.631595173&type=3&theater"]click here[/URL].

Here is the diagram that I made to show what i did.

Last edited: