Fiberglass roof

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I Know some older class A coaches used a fiberglass roof. I've never heard of one on a towable RV though. Too much twisting and flexing going on. I'm sure there's a very logical reason for not using fiberglass.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We saw a Duramax Trilogy, which is now a Forest River product, at the RV show. It had lots of nice features, including a full seamless fiberglass roof. It also comes with a 3000lb GVWR rear hitch. But your choice of floor plans, colors and decors? ONE. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SilverRhino

Don't know about the "Duramax" Trilogy :rolleyes: But.....There was a Dynamax Trilogy 3800 in our campground a couple of days ago. The folks had just picked it up the week before and where on their way to the West coast. Very nice looking rig, and it did have a fiberglass roof.

I was more interested in the brand new Freightliner Sport Chassis that they were towing with..........It was hard not to drool!

Oh yeah.........I did not ask, but from what I know.........I figure it was about $240K rolling down the road!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
My bad, auto-correct on the iPhone. You are correct :p. Dynamax. GVWR 18K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We checked the Trilogy out closely...they are a bit misleading...their fiberglass roof is a "flexible" fiberglass fabric roof...NOT the solid, molded fiberglass found on the Excel and DRV Elite. We also questioned why they don't put ladders on them...they said, "because we don't really want you walking on the roof"...WHAT!!! BIG red flag....IMHO!!!

dave10a

I Know some older class A coaches used a fiberglass roof. I've never heard of one on a towable RV though. Too much twisting and flexing going on. I'm sure there's a very logical reason for not using fiberglass.

It is an option for some manufacturers. DRV offers a fiberglass roof. Most Class A pushers and many gassers offer the fiberglass roof as standard. Flexing is not a problem engineered properly. Winnebago had a problem 10 years ago with their one piece roof, but they solved it. It would be a nice option for many. I would pay the extra to have one so I don't need to worry so much about low hanging limbs. It would add extra weight because half inch sheeting with 16 center supports are generally added under the fiberglass so one can walk on it. Also it would be better to attach solar panels.

Hoser43

I think it time to think ahead of problem solving rather than problem overwhelming. I was impressed with one aspect of my old class A Winnie Luxor DP-that was the FG roof. It had about 5" of bonded styrofoam that made that roof reasonably solid-even for a 300 lb. light footed guy like me. That with the truss roof structure was more reassuring than all the crappy rubber roofs I have had over the years and the misfortune to have to seal again & again, after parking under the shade of a tree on a hot summer day. As well I think we'd all pay the little extra for foam insulation in the walls and under floor. ( about $5.00 per sq. ft. retail) The increase in structural rigidity is phenomenal, especially compared to the anemic and spotty 1 1/2" fiberglass in the walls- with no vapour barrier. After travelling for a few thousand miles-all that fiberglass wall insulation just slides down and compacts.