winterizing questions...non plumbing related.

Mainerunr

OK, so we have had our new TT for a few weeks and while I would love to get out again this year, my son's sports schedule just is not going to allow it (soccer on saturdays, baseball on sundays). So, I'm looking toward winterizing.

I plan on crawling underneath and sealing up any and all holes. I've seen evidence of mice in my garage and in the attic of my house, the TT will be stored outside so I'd like to do as much as I can to keep the critters out. Is silicone or foam better?

Also, what is a good way to cover the refrigerator vent? Does the AC unit need to be covered (and if so, again, what is a good way to do that)?

We do typically get quite a bit of snow here.

I think I've got a handle on winterizing the plumbing system but I want to make sure I take care of everything else as well. I've seen suggestions to open all doors and whatnot but the bathroom door doesnt open with the slide pulled in so that will have to stay closed.

Anyway, any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

sjs731

I've never covered either but I would think you would want a breathable fabric if you cover the AC unit. You don't want the sun warming and then night cooling building up condensation on the coils. I use spray foam on any openings.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

I don't know that you need to cover the refrigerator vents, but pipe insulation cut to length should work.

Bobby A

I have heard people that use the spray foam also put in some steel wool , apparently the mice don't like to chew on that. Also if you have access to electric there is a couple good electric devises that plug in to deture rodents, I use one myself, made by a company call Victor.

TedS

I do not cover AC, holding tank, or refrigerator vents. We too get cosiderable snow.

Mainerunr

OK, so what I'm hearing is not to worry about covering anything on the top of the unit.

I am considering leaving the shore line connected so I will probably look into the electronic rodent repellers and will definitely be spreading a box of bounce dryer sheets around (even if they dont work, they do keep things smelling good inside). Not sure if I should leave the battery in place if I do that or if I should still remove it and store it in the house (basement).

We never has mouse issues with our popup but we stored that in my in-laws barn (potato house really), used dryer sheets inside and mothballs outside. The TT doesnt fit so it will be staying at home (saving me a 600 mile weekend to drop it off and another to pick it up).

brianharrison

There are differing opinions on leaving batteries in the unit over the winter - I have done both - removed or left them in and plugged in over the winter.

For me, it depends on the type of converter that is installed - the "smart" 3 stage with float (13.2V) I leave the batteries installed. The "non smart" that use a constant 13.6V charge - I remove. Simply the higher charge voltage can create off gassing and over a long period of charge and not checking, the level of the electrolyte can decrease. If you are going to leave it plugged in I would not recommend removing the batteries and leaving the converter active - you could remove batteries and de-energize the converer - but that would also deactivate all your 12V (lights, electric landing gear, slide, etc).

For rodents, I too use bounce sheets (and zest soap bars in the older days) and make sure there is no food left in the trailer (including spices). Remove anyhing that can freeze - even soup cans (I forgot that one one year and the mice chewed through the label trying to get at the soup).

Hope this helps.
Brian

sjs731

I take my battery out after I get our rig into the storage building. I leave it in the basement on a battery tender for the winter.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1231ChaseB

The absolute best way to winterize that camper is to hook up to it and drag it off to a warmer climate and stay in it till it warm's up back home !
chaseb