2012 GM Diesel

Just purchased a new 2012 Chevy 3/4 ton Crew Cab Diesel with 373 rear end.
Our Bighorn is a 3055 RL.
Any one out there with the same or similar setup? What kind of mpg do you get , cruising on the interstate at 60 to 65 mph.
Or overall mpg say on a trip from the midwest to Texas?
We just came back from our State Rally at Lena , IL. 7.9 mpg with our old truck, a 2008 3/4 ton 6 liter gas engine.
We were bucking the wind a little.
Can't wait to try out the new truck, I have never pulled with a diesel.

jnbhobe

Congratulations CE, You'll love the diesel. I get a solid 12mpg with the Ford in the type of hiways. Don't know about the Chevys.

Rob_Fla

Congradulations, you will love the diesel !!!
We came from a GMC 6.0L to our first Diesel a 2007 2500HD Duramax Chevy Diesel and now have a 2012 GMC 3500 DRW Duramax Diesel, great truck
We like the enhancements on the new GM Diesel, love the exhaust brake and factory brake controller on ours.
Our 5th Wheel weighs 15,200 and we are getting between 10 and 11 mpg highway.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I had a GMC 2500 with the Duramax and Allison when I had my first Bighorn, a 3055RL. The truck and trailer seemed perfectly matched and I loved it. I now have the Dodge 3500 to pull my Landmark and it is a good match also.

danemayer

We have a 2011 GMC 3500 4x4 SRW CC Longbed with 3.73 pulling a Landmark with actual loaded weight around 15,000#. We're nearing the end of a trip from Austin, TX to Los Angeles and back. Got about 3200 miles towing and about 500 miles driving on LA highways without the RV. The terrain includes some mountains. Overall trip average is 11.9 MPG.

Vtxkid

You will be happy with your new set-up! Don't know if you have a smart phone but you can download the "Onstar" app to control your new truck... Mine is a 2011 and the app is Awesome to have! Good info and control of your new addition! Enjoy!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

ILH

I found that my mpg improved over the first 10K to 15K miles. Don't be discouraged initially.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Just purchased a new 2012 Chevy 3/4 ton Crew Cab Diesel with 373 rear end.
Our Bighorn is a 3055 RL.

why would you choose a 3/4 ton CC instead of the 1 ton CC SRW when then cargo capacity is signifcantly higher with the 1 ton but the retail difference is less than $700 for otherwise identically equipped trucks?

I need to upgrade and am wondering if I am missing something in choosing a 1 ton over a 3/4 ton.?

scottyb

My 2007 is getting about 8 mpg, towing the Cyclone on my recent 1600 mi maiden voyage to Missouri and back to Texas. That's calculated by miles driven divided by gallons, not from the computer. It has 172K miles on it and I assume is not at peak performance. I'm guessing that my Cyclone is close to the 18K GVWR, with my Mule, Weber gas grill and some groceries and gear. I carry very little water and empty holding tanks when I tow it. I think it would do better towing with 4.10 gears but since it is 4WD, it would not be worth the cost at this point in it's life.

Tool958

My 2007 is getting about 8 mpg, towing the Cyclone on my recent 1600 mi maiden voyage to Missouri and back to Texas. That's calculated by miles driven divided by gallons, not from the computer. It has 172K miles on it and I assume is not at peak performance. I'm guessing that my Cyclone is close to the 18K GVWR, with my Mule, Weber gas grill and some groceries and gear. I carry very little water and empty holding tanks when I tow it. I think it would do better towing with 4.10 gears but since it is 4WD, it would not be worth the cost at this point in it's life.

Not to run your truck down or anything, but I would say that your truck is way overloaded. I was concerned when we bought our 3010 being heavy on the pin weight and weight of the camper itself. Ours is marginal with two Harleys and other things in the coach. I try to keep the water tanks low traveling, just to keep the weight down. I don't know about your pin weight, but you are over quite a bit on GVWR. I would say that's why you're getting such poor mileage more than anything. If you've taken care of your truck, which I'm sure you have, it should still have plenty of life left in the motor.

It might be to your advantage to take it to a CAT scale at one of the truck stops to get it weighed while its loaded, just to see what your actual weights are.

scottyb

You are correct, I am overloaded a little, and a dually is in my near future. However, if my current truck were a dually, it would have the exact same drive train. I suspect the fuel mileage would be about the same.

danemayer

This last reply from scotyb is not from me. Don't know why it showed up on here.

Scottyb posted an answer to you earlier and then someone posted a response to him which he answered. Sometimes threads take on a life of their own, apart from what the original poster intended.

Tool958

You'll really like it. It is a huge difference in the way it pulls at a lower rpm and much higher torque. Yours is set up like ours with all of the newer changes of the 2012. Your mileage should be quite a bit higher also. We get between 10-11 mpg loaded with 2 Harleys.

Tool958

You are correct, I am overloaded a little, and a dually is in my near future. However, if my current truck were a dually, it would have the exact same drive train. I suspect the fuel mileage would be about the same.
I think the newer trucks are getting better mileage and their towing capacity is quite a bit higher than ours. I know, if we ever have to get a different truck it will be a dually, also. My biggest problem is coming up with the $65,000 or so to do it.

Tool958

This last reply from scotyb is not from me. Don't know why it showed up on here.
It was a reply from a post I made. I try to put the quote in with my post that I am replying to so there is less confusion as to who I'm talking to. I tend to get a little off subject once in a while.

I understand, thanks for the response. I should pick the truck up Wed the 26th. Hook up the 5th wheel and try it out.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Clarence.... I think they recomend a 500 mile break in period (primarily for the rear end gears) before towing. I am sure someone with more expertise on the subject might chime in. I am jealous, I want one of those!!!

Also, I'd recommend changing the transmission "spin-off" filter at your first oil change. It will have collected and manufacturing sluffoff inside the transmission.

jimtoo

Hi OldSoldier,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Good idea to change that transmission filter the first time around. It's easy to do.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M