ATF: Big Country - Defects in 2013 Big Country

Shadow

While the walk thru of our 2013 Big Country did not reveal anything because the blinds were drawn, once home and the light was let in, we discovered many blotches and scratches on our kitchen counter tops. Also one cabinet door broke when we opened it for the first time. The trailer was returned and in the shop for about four weeks with no change to the counter problem. After taking possession of the trailer again for our beach trip, three more cabinet doors broke. We could not return it again because we were out of state, but contacted the service department who told us how to fix the cabinet doors, which we did. Of all the other problems, the worst is the blotchy, scratched counter tops. We have contacted the dealer again and will make arrangements to take it in after the season is over. We have owned five other trailers in our camping experience and never had such blatant defects leave a factory (supposed) inspection. My question concerns the counter top...what is "solid surface" (Corian?laminate? What?)and if another attempt to correct the flaws fails, would all tops be replaced? I would be happy to list the other defects which includes non grounded wiring in the bathroom.

danemayer

The trailer was returned and in the shop for about four weeks with no change to the counter problem.

What exactly did the dealer do to correct the problem the first time and what is he telling you he's going to do differently the 2nd time?

The counters are probably Hanex Solid Surface. Here's a link to read about it. Here's what they say about repair:
Is Hanex Solid Surfaces repairable? Unlike other surfacing materials, Hanex Solid Surfaces can be repaired to its original condition. It is non-porous and solid throughout the entire material. These features make Hanex Solid Surfaces virtually maintenance fee and completely repairable. Please visit our Care & Maintenance section for more details.

Shadow

The dealer repaired the first cabinet door that broke. The technician said he went over the counter with whatever he used but, honestly, it looked even worse than it did before. The discussion then was to replace the entire counter, which he indicated Heartland might not approve. A brand new trailer should not have left the factory with such a messed up counter, and we should not have to live with it. The tech guy said to write Heartland about the problem. We have about 10 items on the list and are taking it in after Thanksgiving. We love the trailer, but are very disappointed in all of the problems we have encountered. Our other trailers didn't cost as much, but sure did not have all these problems. This is our first fifth wheel, which was my husband's dream....he had to also buy a truck so the whole process was pretty expensive.

danemayer

The technician said he went over the counter with whatever he used but, honestly, it looked even worse than it did before. The discussion then was to replace the entire counter, which he indicated Heartland might not approve. A brand new trailer should not have left the factory with such a messed up counter, and we should not have to live with it.

Shadow, based on your answer, I would say your dealer either doesn't have the skills and know-how to fix the counter, or doesn't plan to fix it. Don't overlook the possibility that the counter suffered the damage while in their hands, which by the way seems much more likely to me than believing it left the factory looking awful. But regardless of how, when or where the damage occurred, you shouldn't have to live with it.

Get some pictures of the counter that show the problem and call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032. Have your vin# ready. Sounds like you may need some help from Heartland to get the dealer to be more responsive.

sengli

I have noticed that the counter tops in our new 2013 had several scratches on them as well. I can't imagine having the techs at a dealership try to replace the counter tops without even more damage occuring to not only the counter tops but the cabinets and even the surrounding walls. First of all the counter tops would have to be shipped without damage and they would be large and cumbersome to package without being crushed in transit.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
When you call HL, ask if you can take it to another shop for the repairs. Some repair shops are better than others. HL never has a problem authorizing another shop to do the repairs.

wdk450

Shadow, Sengli:
Have you thought about contacting Hanex to get in touch with a local certified Hanex residential contractor to refinish the surface to Hanex specs? I would think that Heartland service should agree to pay for this under warranty if arrangements are made in advance of the work being performed.
Here is a link to the Hanex website that has a "Contacts" page with links to their regional offices.
(Sorry, I just noticed I posted without the link - here it is): http://www.hanwhasurfaces.com/sections/about/locator.php

Last edited:

jbeletti

Not sure if he is "the guy" or is even still there, but Paul Konzen gave us a seminar on Hanex care at the 2011 Goshen rally. I had his number as 770-431-6122 and email as paul@hanwhasurfaces.com

May be worth checking with them directly.

In the past, with my Hanex surfaces (we now use LG Hausys materials), I would have mine buffed out a couple times a year. They would drip some sort of liquid compound on the counter, then buff it out. I never saw it being done so I can't confirm the compound used or the buffer style used. The counters always looked very shiny and scratch-free after they were buffed.