Got my China Bombs warrantied!

Wallace

My 2010 3950 Cyclone has the Towmax 235/80R16 tires on it.
We have less than 5k miles on it and the tire are so weathered checked you wouldn't believe it unless you saw it in person.
Well long story short.
I made contact with the manufacture of the tires. Because I am a tire dealer I was able to send them the info and pictures and they are giving me a allowable amount of money to replace the tires.
I am contemplating putting LT tires on verses ST tires.

Vtxkid

LT tires are a great choice but be careful you don't get the larger tire which might not give you the clearance you need between your tires after install!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

GOTTOYS

Do the LT tires have strong enough sidewalls for a triple axle setup?
In spite of what you might have heard. If you compare the Tow Max and a LT tire such as a B.F. Goodrich Commercial TA side by side, (I have) you will find the sidewall on the Tow Max is like a bicycle tire in comparison to the LT. I got rid of my Tow Max tires right after I bought my trailer. I put over 13,000 trouble free miles on my 235/85/16 B.F.Goodrich Commercial TAs and they were then recalled and replaced with a set of Michelin XPS Ribs at no charge whatsoever to me. I have yet to hear of anyone having a problem with the TAs but they recalled over 800,000 of them and their counterpart with the Uniroyal brand on them. Yet you hear nothing but problems with many of the Chinese ST tires and no recall on them. What gives? I will never have another ST tire on a trailer...JMHO...Don

caissiel

I also agree to LT tires.
We have LT load range G. And been great though they are chinese.

Sent from my GT-S5660M using Tapatalk 2

Bksvo

The 235/85 LT tires are an inch larger diameter than the 235/80 ST tires. That puts the tires about an inch apart on my Cyclone. Too close for me, so I ended up with Carlyle tires from Discount Tire.

I also was reimbursed by TBC for a bad Towmax. Then a second one blew and damaged the trailer. That one is at the tire manufacturer (Dynamic in Canada) while they determine their liability...No one is thus far interested in reimbursing me for the 5 tires I replaced because I couldn't trust them anymore after losing two in the first 4 months I owned it.

TXTiger

I too have had 2 of the stock Tow Max tires go bad out of the 6 installed on my trailer within 4 months of ownership. I want to upgrade to something better. Have heard that the Goodyear G614 is a good tire. Camping World has them for about $389 installed. Any suggestions on other brands, prices (Goodyear and other brands) and locations to purchase?

scottyb

In spite of what you might have heard. If you compare the Tow Max and a LT tire such as a B.F. Goodrich Commercial TA side by side, (I have) you will find the sidewall on the Tow Max is like a bicycle tire in comparison to the LT. I got rid of my Tow Max tires right after I bought my trailer.

I did the same thing except I went with the Michellin XPS. They are a full steel casing commercial tire as well. They are a little closer together than I would like. I'm not sure why they have the axles so close together. I was looking at a Voltage yesterday at the dealer, and their triple axles have at least 4" - 5" between tires. All triple axle goosenecks and other trailers I have dealt with over the years do not have this problem. Bottom line is the LT's will work, just a little closer than they should be. I'll take my chances with that before I will, running the Towmax.

bd2dabone

Yea for you Wallace. I dont feel like I will be as lucky. I am looking at the Goodyear 614 RST also. One chart I found on the G614 says the Goodyear LT 235/85R/16 is 30.7 inches in diameter. The Blow Max ST235/80R/16 is 30.8 inches diameter. Did I read the charts wrong, maybe i need to go back and find more info. Can the masses concur with the numbers.
As soon as my TH is repaired from the Blow Max puking its tread from the sidewall and performing reconstructive surgery on the side of the TH I will be replacing these black round pieces of low bid rubber that is used for tires. Repairs oh thats another story. The parts are still 2 weeks out-mind you I dropped the trailer off at the dealer August 30th. Guess they had to manufacture the aluminum to form the pieces and sell another barrel of crude to manufacture the chemicals to go into the plastic parts. Dont get me started.. JUST SAYING.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Overall diameter of the Goodyear G-614 is 30.7".
I am waiting for two more prices before purchasing a new set this week. So far my best local price is $325 including mounting and balancing.
The last time I bought them they were about $100 less. Ouch.
Have you shopped yet?

Peace
Dave

bd2dabone

Shopped online some. Found good prices but need to look at shipping cost.

Checked online at discount tire and they are fairly pricey there.

Sometimes for peace of mind I have to pay! Dont need tire problems when out in BFE!

Bksvo

One chart I found on the G614 says the Goodyear LT 235/85R/16 is 30.7 inches in diameter. The Blow Max ST235/80R/16 is 30.8 inches diameter. Did I read the charts wrong, ...

If the Goodyear tire is 30.7", then it isn't really a 235/85 (although I guess GYR can call it whatever they want). According to Discount Tires calculator http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos, a 235/80/16 tire has a 30.8" diameter, a 235/85/16 has a 31.73" diameter. I didn't want my tires an inch apart, so I went with SP tires.

Now the Goodyear site does say the tire height is 30.7", but that math doesn't compute. Who knows, but you might want to actually measure one before you buy them.

Bksvo

Funny, Michelin XPS specs http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/light-truck/xps-rib/tire-details#techspec_table show the 235/85 as a 32" diameter, the have a 215/85 with a 30.7" diameter, but you lose an inch of width, which would make your footprint lb/sqin a lot higher and more likely to sink in soft dirt.

Had I had more time to research, I think I may have gone with Michelin XPS 245/75s. The have a 30.6" diameter, so no loss there, and they are an inch wider, making the footprint better. Need to have 7" wide rims, though, and I'm not sure what ours are.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Now the Goodyear site does say the tire height is 30.7", but that math doesn't compute. Who knows, but you might want to actually measure one before you buy them.

I have em' on my Bighorn now and the size is not an issue.

Peace
Dave

bd2dabone

Are these triple axle units. Reading there is only marginal spacing between 2nd & 3rd axle/tire with 235/85's. Comments please.

jnbhobe

They have tandem axel trailers, Bighorns. The size difference you are seeing may be because you are comparing an ST tire to an LT tire.

bd2dabone

Okay. Next question is directed to owners of triple axle trailers that have installed LT235/85R/16's. Are there any clearance problems between 2nd & 3rd set?

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I have the Goodyear G614's on my 3 axle Cyclone. There is plenty of room between them to use the X-Chock between front or rear axles.
I figure that's adequate.

TXTiger

Okay. Next question is directed to owners of triple axle trailers that have installed LT235/85R/16's. Are there any clearance problems between 2nd & 3rd set?

I am looking at the Michelin XPS also in 235/85/16 and have a 3 axle Cyclone. Any answer on this question regarding clearance issues?