Water Down the front cap

Peteandsharon

Hey guys,

So I picked up the BH tonight and while hooking up I see water pouring out from the area above where the king pin exits the rig in front. Looking more closely at that area I was disturbed to see that the whole underside area of the front cap has waves in it, apparently from water accumulating in that area. At first I couldn't figure how water could be getting in there but now I'm guessing that I need to get up on the roof and check the caulking. The only thing I can guess is that there is a leak on top where the front cap and the rubber roof come together. Water must be getting in up there, coming down the inside of the front cap and ending up in that area around the king pin. I think I can probably find where it is coming in but I'm afraid to even think about the damage that might have occurred internally. Does anyone have any thoughts about what I may have brewing underneath my front cap?

Thanks,

Pete

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
It could be leaking from many different areas but I can tell you what the issue was with our Big Country. Our front cap leaked creating the waves and buckeling you speak of under the bulkhead and on the front of the storage area. I resealed every part of that cap, all the lights etc. It still leaked. How I finally stopped it was to caulk the vinyl insert! Apparently water was wicking under the vinyl insert (the horizontal part) and getting in through the trim screw holes. This summer I took the vinyl out to replace it and found all these screws were quite loose...loose enough when I tightened them the caulking wrinkeled and had to be redone. So far, the leak has not come back (knock on wood). I would start with that trim molding...remove it, put some buytrl putty under it, replace screws with sealant, and recaulk the whole thing!

beardedone

Beardedone
Steve, what do you mean by "vinyl insert". Could you describe the area you are referring to. I have an indication that this is now happening to my unit and I want to correct it right away before any serious damage occurs, if it hasn't already.

SJH

The metal trim that runs from the front of the cap back under the bedroom and curves down the front has a colored vinyl insert (usually white). It is used to dress up the molding and cover the screws. If you remove te insert (easy to do) you can access the srews that hold the molding in place. Another area to be sure is sealed is where this molding meets the cap molding that wraps around the entire cap.

Your issue could have a different cause e.g. position lights or something else but I would definetly check this molding!

Best Wishes for a speedy fix!

DripUpView.jpgDripSideView.jpgDripTrim.jpg

Peteandsharon

Gerry,

I had to laugh because my initial response was also "what is a vinyl insert?". The picture helps, Steve. Thanks. It also makes it very obvious that I probably have a lot more caulking to do than I first thought. Did not think about the lights or this trim down the sides of the front cap. Speaking of trim, there is a piece of trim that goes around the fiberglass where the kingpin exits the bulkhead. It has separated because the fiberglass has the buckling in it. I'll try to upload a picture of that later today. The rain has to stop before I can do anything with it today.

But my big concern is not really how to stop the water. I'm guessing i'll eventually get that right. Obviously there is damage done and I'm going to have to address the damage too. I'm concerned with mold forming. That area is right under the bedroom closet. Also, what else is inside the fiberglass that has been damaged by water pooling in there for long periods of time. The rig has been in storage since June and I'm sure this problem goes back for awhile.

ihsolutions

The material that runs from the kingpin all the way down to the bottom of the front storage is one large piece of "filon", it is not fiberglass. It's like a paper material with a vinyl exterior surface. I got a quote for this piece from Heartland and it is several hundred dollars, I think maybe $550 which includes $200 shipping if memory serves. If water has sat on the inside of this material (which it sounds like it has) the damage is done and you may need to replace this piece.

Looking around at other RV's I see a lot of people who have water damage in this area and are probably oblivious to it. So maybe it is something that you can live with, depending on the severity of the damage.

Peteandsharon

Well, I was oblivious to it until I saw the water pour out of there. I saw the bowing back in June but did not think of it in terms of water seepage because it was not obvious at the time that water could get to that place. Attached is a picture of where the bowing is occurring and how the trim piece that surrounds the kinkpin has separated because of the bowingtrailer hitch.jpg

beardedone

Beardedone
Thanks for the pictures and info. Because it is so nice here today it is "Hi-Ho" time. Hopefully I can geta lot done today. Yesterday I was adding foam board insulation to the wall that separates the front storage compartment and the main one. That seems to have worked well. There is always something to do!

SJH

Well, I was oblivious to it until I saw the water pour out of there. I saw the bowing back in June but did not think of it in terms of water seepage because it was not obvious at the time that water could get to that place. Attached is a picture of where the bowing is occurring and how the trim piece that surrounds the kinkpin has separated because of the bowingView attachment 21337

Wow..sorry about that issue! That is definitely water intrusion! It is not an uncommon problem in that area. Like you...there ws no obvious signs of a problem until the wrinkles showed up. I doubt the leak is from the pin box trim...our Big Country doesn't even have trim there! I would look carefully at the bulkhead trim molding and the molding that goes around the entire front cap.

Best Wishes!

Peteandsharon

Yeah, I never really suspected water coming in around the pin box. It is too well protected by the overhang and this water definitely came while the rig was sitting. I've had a spinal surgery at the beginning of June in 2011 and then again in June of 2012 so the upshot is that our rig has done a lot more sitting than moving in the last two years. We never pulled it in the rain a single time in 2 years. At any rate I went to my dealer yesterday and got two tubes of caulk. One for the molding and a separate one for the roof area. I did find several highly suspicious areas in the molding coming down the side of the front cap and caulked it all. Definitely found sections where the old caulk was completely separated. I didn't get a chance to get on the roof but the part I saw from the ladder did not look bad. I'll try to get on the roof today. Hopefully I got the offending party in the areas I caulked yesterday. Only time will tell.

Dave49

Had the same identical problem with my 2011 Bighorn 3670. I contributed it to washing the unit and spraying around the pin box as I removed the shroud around the pin box and put in a 5th Airborne pin box and the shroud didn't fit like it should have. So I tore down the whole underside of the overhang back to where it started its downward turn to the bottom. Removed the backing of the aluminum sheeting that was bad and reinstalled the vinyl with new caulking and then sealed the pin box area along with putting the shroud back on over the pin box. I just done this so not sure if it has worked or not. Only time will tell.

I see no real value of that backing on the vinyl in that area as it appears to be more like a cardboard type of material. I know its not cardboard but it looks like it. Not worried about that part. And while I had that all down I put in 3/4' styrofoan insulation in between the frame work and glued it. Just because it was a good idea is all.

Dave

aatauses

We also had a leak in this area--I thought it was coming from the roof, however with several attempts with the water hose I think?? I found it. The water comes down the side, over the horizonal molding and "rolls" up into the small horizonal molding on the bottom which does have the vinal insert. I caulked the vinal on both sides and have not had any issues. I really noticed mine from the dripping at the end of the molding near my pin box.
al\
currently in Kenai, AK