Bubbles in the Rubber Roof

jdfishing

I happened to notice several bubbles in the rubber roof membrane of my 2013 Bighorn. The largest is approx. 3x6 inches. Not sure whether to be concerned and have them repaired, if even possible, or just live with it. I don't want any unresolved issues to go past my one year warranty.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Most EPDM and TPO roofs will have some bubbles/wrinkles, at least every rig I have had did and so do most of my friends rigs. Definitely keep and eye on it and if it begins to get larger, I would take it to the dealer. Sometimes after the gases from the adhesive dissipate they may even shrink or go away.

Best Wishes!

Birchwood

I have always had a few bubbles on the Landmarks's rubber roof.They were there from the start and are not getting
any worse and no new ones are appearing.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I was wondering about the bubbles also. Some seem to grow and some seem to reduce in size they have a mind of their own. Sent pictures to my dealer regarding the one I think is growing and they and Heartland said it is within normal standards but it is documented. Been on some roofs that have no bubbles then there is ours, so go figure.

olcoon

Ours has had bubbles from day 1. Depending on the weather, sometimes they are gone/minimal, other times they are there. Last year at the Goshen Rally, I asked the rep from the company about the bubbles. Apparently the roof isn't glued down across the entire roof. He said some bubbles are normal, and if they really bothered me to use something that won't poke a hole in the rubber, and work the bubble towards a vent or something, the caulking would have to be "broken" to allow the air to escape, then re caulked. So far I haven't done this, as it hasn't become an issue yet.

dave10a

I am not sure what the cause is for the bubbles and wrinkles. It seems to be inherent to EDM roofs and the method of manufacture. Mine are not too bad as it turns out after I checked with many knowledgeable folks. At first I was concerned, but now I simply set back and watch (with a beer).

Duramax1

X2 as I have often wondered about the bubbles on our roof which have been there for a number of years now, actually since I purchased the unit.

Marshda1

OK thanks for the information.
I have multiple and will not be too concerned based on the comments. They do seem to change size based on weather.
One comment I saw somewhere else was to be careful to not step on them when on the roof - otherwise no problem.

Really enjoy this forum and have found it to be a great source of information.

danemayer

Hi Marshda1,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. As you've already learned, there's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

ParkIt

When 'rubber roof' went mainstream in the mid 90's I worked at the largest dealership in the state. We watched at the factory when they put them on and they explained that temperature and moisture (on top) can sometimes cause "bubbles" but unless they are narrow lines that run 6" or longer, its normal to see them and then not see them. Its a 'stretchy' material that is supposed to expand and shrink, the first attempts to glue them down from front to back caused brittle places so it "floats" more to accommodate for temperature and use.

On a hot day I got up there to check the run off from the AC unit and there are foot prints where I was standing. I guess if I ever vanish it wouldn't be a picture of my face on a milk carton but a picture of my foot prints ;)

reverts

We have bubbles in our roof also, previous Bighorn did not. Sent pictures to dealer for documentation and keeping a eye on them as warranty is up in a few months but have not seen any changes.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
My Elk Ridge developed some bubbles also. They were along the left rear side about 4' long and 6" wide. I talked to my dealer and they sent pictures to Heartland and got the ok to repair the roof under warranty. That was 2 yrs ago and no bubbles have shown up since.

ParkIt

My Elk Ridge developed some bubbles also. They were along the left rear side about 4' long and 6" wide. I talked to my dealer and they sent pictures to Heartland and got the ok to repair the roof under warranty. That was 2 yrs ago and no bubbles have shown up since.
Sounds like it separated from the round metal cap they put on to keep sharp edges from puncturing it, another member here clued me on that one. While sitting and waiting for repair, we had some hot weather then it got cold again and its like the sides popped up lifting the membrane in one day. The other member had theirs fixed on the spot at the Goshen Rally by Heart Land and haven't had any issues since, not sure if I'm going to have to fight to get ours fixed since it was a normal its there/its gone bubble thing from factory but not it isn't.