Generator in front bay-anybody using one

tdharley

We have been thinking of taking 6 weeks out of the summer next year to do some traveling with the Gkids. You know Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devils tower, Corn palace, Wall drug.....all the tourist stuff and the USofA.

I have a 3000 watt Kipor self contained generator that I been thinking about mounting permanently in the front compartment.

The more I think about it the more questions I have. Fumes, insulation from noise & fire, transfer switching, etc.

Opinions & pictures would be appreciated

Uncle Rog

tdh, you are the first guy that I thought would have put a power plant in right out of the gate! Now that we both have the xantrex system and now that I have seen how cool a generator is to have I kind of wish I had gone that way. Actually, if you just kept the unit in the front bay you could open the hatch when you used it and just divert the exhaust. You would probably want to add some vents so the gas fumes could go somewhere also...Waiting to hear from somebody smarter than me...Forrest?

nhunter

We went a an identical trip, only without the Bighorn. How does the 3000w generator run your trailer?

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
Roger
Not smarter than you.... I have just bought the Yamaha 2400 watt generator and it fits great into the front tank of our 3055. 20lb heavier than the Honda 2000. Runs very well in the front tank with the door open. Yes my battery bank is there and I do not expect an explosion from the gas from the batteries as there is way too much air for the concentrations needed for an excellerated burn.
THD that's my story and I am sticking to it ( for now)
Rand

Uncle Rog

Rand, some people smoke in bed, others own 5ers. Will keep an eye on the 5 o'clock news for you....HA!

timk

I tried to put our honda 3k in, well I actually did. And the "your going to die" alarm kept going off so we gave up on that idea.

Cooper

I am installing a 6500 watt gen in my Gloden Gate. I built a sealed box to put the generator in . I will route the exhaust out the bottom of the rv and install vents under the belly of the rv. I have built and exhaust fan in top of the box and routed it out under the rv to pull the heat and any exhaust fumes out. With the exhaust fan pulling the heat and fumes out it will also pull in fresh air from underneath the rv. I have not completed it yet but will let you know how it works.

tdharley

All good feedback so far, THANKS.

I have had no need for the genny until now. I expect to take naps & a couple of overnighters at Wal-marts or the like. The genny is super quiet, less than federal park regulations (I carry a decibel meter).

My biggest concerns are fumes from exhaust & gas.

I go on one campout a year with no electric and put it in the truck bed with no problem all other camping is with electric or my Xantrex does fine. BUT, I am installing an aux. diesel tank & will have to relocate it to the side now.

Uncle Rog

tdh, good call on the fuel tank. Putting the 48 gal on mine was the best thing I ever did. In testing when the low fuel alarm sounds I still have 12 gals and if I can't find a supply in 12 gals I deserve to run out!

ChopperBill

I have a Kipor 3500 and just keep it in the pick up bed and have a tarp across the box to keep it out of the rain. Thinking about one of those remote starters from Hays. If just going for a short trip I just take the Honda 2000 and leave it under the ATV trailer out of the rain. You can barely hear either of them running. I run the invertor for most things, however, and use the generators for charging the batteries.

christianson

I have a 4000 onan rv GEN mounted in left front compartment in 3055 big horn run exhaust out bottom hocked to muffler ran exhaust out left side of trailer mounted 30 amp rv outlet in propane tank compartment when I need power I run land line power cord to compartment use 50 amp to 30 amp adapter and plug in . For fuel I use outboard moter tank with quick conect carry tank in pickup. compartment is all sealed dicharges hot air through vents in bottom of compartment have remote for gen in closet by entry door along with other switchs works very well.

christianson

I will send pictures as soon as I figure how to do it. I made gen box out of 3/16 aluminum plate lined it with 3/4inch fiberglass with foil cover had to mount hydraulics and battery box on top gen box plenty room.