SOLVED: Help! Gen isn't powering anything inside the coach.

jayandhisgals

Purchased our new 2012 Cyclone 3712 on Aug. 30. Didn't accept the unit and bring it home until today Sept. 21st. due to many small issues. such as Fantastic Fans not working properly, Awning motors unfunctional, broken screwheads, loose moldings, ect, ect,. Spent the last three days camped out on the dealers lot while they fixed item after item that we found that wasn't working as the factory intended. Thought we had checked everything, but sadly we were wrong. When we got home tonight we sat up in the drive and fired up the generator to show off our new toy to our friends. To our dismay the generator runs but dosn't power anything inside the coach. The dealer has already expressed that they feel we are nit picking and they wanted us to accept the unit and bring it back under warranty in 30 days if we find anything else wrong. I can't beleive that a brand new unit has so many issues. This isn't what we were expecting. Very dissapointed, this is about the last straw!! Anyone have any ideia what could be wrong now with this generator. It starts up and runs great, just no power being delivered to the coach. Can't run the micro, tv, can't get any power out of any outlets. If I turn the power off at the main battery kill switch we have no power. Also the battery isn't charging. New battery is already low. Any suggestions? Anyone else have the same problem? Please any info will be apperciated.

Bksvo

Re: ATF: Cyclone - Help! Gen isn't powering anything inside the coach.

Check the circuit breakers in front of the generator in the generator compartment. I think there are 2 30A breakers there. If that isn't it, then it could be your auto-transfer switch, but not much you can do about that. I think the breakers are the likely culprit.

hoefler

Check the circuit breakers in front of the generator in the generator compartment. I think there are 2 30A breakers there. If that isn't it, then it could be your auto-transfer switch, but not much you can do about that. I think the breakers are the likely culprit.

X2! Main breakers on genset.

Lynn1130

"nit picking" ! I think we as consumers expect that when we put down money for an item that it is going to work. They, as dealers, have an obligation to provide that type of product and if they don't we find another who will and eventually the first dealer goes out of business. If this dealer has not figured out that "word of mouth" is a good part of their business then they deserve to go out of business.

If there is another RV repair in your area you might want to talk with Heartland Customer Service about authorizing repairs there. And if it were me, and I did move to another repair shop I would let the dealer know why.

jayandhisgals

Thank you everyone for informing me about the breaker switches on the gen set. Woo HOO! It worked! Were back in business and all is good. I was so worried and upset. What a relief! Love this forum. If not for you all, I would have been down at the dealer on Monday hot as a hornet! Happy travles everyone and thanks again. Finally an excited Cyclone owner! ;)

Lynn1130

Yep. Between this site and Diesel Place I cannot even guess at the amount of money I have saved in repair troubleshooting and upgrades.

Tool958

Yep. Between this site and Diesel Place I cannot even guess at the amount of money I have saved in repair troubleshooting and upgrades.
I have to second that. They have both helped me tremendously.

gmc

Reitired - California-Central Chapter Leaders

I agree great forum. carry on ............

TXTiger

Since when is a generator not providing juice to the unit "nip picking?" I think this would be a major complaint. Glad you got it all figured out. Such a simple solution that the dealer could of looked like a saint yet they chose to look like a fool.

Die924sel

My Onan 5500 Marquis Gold runs great but there is no power to the coach. Breakers are all ok. Is there a way to test the auto transfer switch? I am told the generator would not run if the unit was bad, is that true.

jbeletti

My Onan 5500 Marquis Gold runs great but there is no power to the coach. Breakers are all ok. Is there a way to test the auto transfer switch? I am told the generator would not run if the unit was bad, is that true.

Did you check the 2 breakers on the front of the gen itself - right behind the removable panel?

If they are good, then you are on the right track with the transfer switch. I'm not aware of any test. I think you'll need to remove the wall, remove the transfer switch cover and test with a VOM. Have all power to the coach and the gen all OFF before you remove the cover. Start the gen, then test the gen side lugs inside the transfer switch for 110 VAC from L1 to ground and L2 to ground.

porthole

Retired

Breakers behind the removable genset panel as Jim mentioned.

The generator will run with or without a transfer switch.

The simple test for the transfer switch is; genset off, trailer unplugged.
Plug trailer in and you should hear the "clunk" of the transfer switch supplying power.
Still being supplied by shore power start the genset.
After a few seconds you should hear the "clunk" again as the transfer switches from shore power to genset power.

Genset has priority.

Unplug shore power, you should continue to have genset power.

Plug back in and shut down genset, transfer should be immediate back to shore power.

Die924sel

Thank you to everyone that replied. I will be testing the auto transfer switch. The breakers on the genset were the first thing I checked. Bet as I can recall, the genset powered the RV fine one day and then would not engage the next.
You can bet I will let all know the outcome.
Thanks again.