Problems with 2013 Silverado 33RK

DuaneG

We are on our first trip with our new fifth wheel. We love the layout. We thought there might be a few issues with our first trip, but never imagined we would have to deal with what we have had to deal with in this short period of time.

I am possitive the dealer failed to inspect anything on the trailer before we showed up. They even charged us more because they were supposed to go through the unit with a fine tooth comb. We spent at least 6 hours going over the unit and addressing what we thought were little issues. There was some smoke from behind couch, but they were not able to locate anything. I wrote it off thinking it was just from the furnace firing up for the first time.

There are many issues with the dealer that I will be addressing when we get back to town. I will also have to put a call into the warranty division at the same time.

I am just sitting here afraid to go to sleep the second night in a row. Our first night we kept blowing fuses. Had issues with the fridge, slides and hot water. I read a bunch of posts before getting our unit and thought I was prepared, but now realize we would need another trailer to have enough parts to repair this one just for our first trip. While.working out the other issues I determined most wires around the battery compartment were loose and also discovered the converter was not actually charging the battery when all the lights went out.
We got through night one because of a nice camp host and nice person camping next to us. They helped us troubleshoot and loaned us a battery charger.

Day two there were not many issues except the ceiling fan, but that we just turned off.

Sat down to watch a movie and heard a loud noise and then what sounded like water spraying. I was not sure what happened or where it was coming from. Ran outside and turned the water off. Went looking for the problem and noticed the cargo area was flooded. Removed a few panels and determined the back end of the outside shower blew off and shot water everywhere. I think I limited the damage by immediately turning off the water. The neighbor had some fittings and I was able to cap the two lines so that I could turn water on to the rest of the unit. Because others mentioned getting a water regulator I had one and it was set at only 40 lbs, so I have no idea on why that would have happened. Anyone have ideas.

I did have some really negative thoughts about the dealer and heartland because many of these issues were preventable.

The dealer never even mentioned the cargo area panels that hide all the stuff I needed access to. If I had not known about this site I would probably still be scratching my head on what happened and would end up with warped wood and some mold.

So hopefully the dealer and heartland will step up and fix my unit in a timely manner.

Have to go check the portable heater the neighbor loaned me to see how the drying is going.

It felt good to vent.

Sent from my cell phone. Please forgive typos and spelling errors it took a long time to hit these letters with my thumbs.

Postie307

We bought a 2013 Heartland Big Country and are having problems too. Not very happy with the quality and since we are on our first trip and far away, I sent 3 emails and have had no reply to any. Issues such as the floor in living room creaking badly, drawer catches were not in the correct place so drawers came open when travelling and got crushed by the slides when we were setting up. Floor in the kitchen is lifting. Food in fridge is getting soaked by condensation. Large computer drawer glide is coming apart and ball bearings are falling out. Just a few of our problems. There are many other deficiencies. Quality control is severely lacking.

DuaneG

I know if I owned a company that was putting out products with substandard quality control I would be embarrassed and horrified. I just wouldn't do it. But for some reason it seems to be okay in the RV market. I did a lot of research before buying and could not find any RV manufacture that was sending out units with no mistakes.

I am confident these issues will be resolved. It just sucks that our entire first trip was used to troubleshoot this 5th wheel.

Sent from my cell phone. Please forgive typos and spelling errors.

DuaneG

The third day of our trip was uneventful. We dropped it off at the dealer with a list of broken items. They promised to fix everything.

Should we also contact Heartland or does the dealer forward details to them. Some of the things I would think they would be interested in so they don't happen in the future. Iike all the garbage they left in the cargo area.

uploadfromtaptalk1348532844172.jpg

Or the outdoor faucet that exploded with only 40 lbs of pressure. That was a nightmare cleaning up. The dealer said they will put in some cut off values so I can turn the water off to that faucet when not using.

uploadfromtaptalk1348533035934.jpg

I am so lucky we get to try this warranty thing out so early after our purchase. Some of you never had the privilege to use what others have said is the best warranty service in the industry. :eek:

Wish us luck.

mwr322000

Duane,

I look forward to hearing how you make out. We just ordered a Silverado 36TB and have heard a lot of great things about the Heartland warranty and customer service so I hope its all true. Good luck

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Should we also contact Heartland or does the dealer forward details to them. Some of the things I would think they would be interested in so they don't happen in the future. Iike all the garbage they left in the cargo area.
I just read a piece in the Trailer Life RV Action Line.
An owner of a 2011 Keystone product complained about the furnace not working properly since day one.
What was eventually found was a piece of Styrofoam debris wedged in a contact switch and was looking for some help.
Keystones reply was "Keystone will be unable to participate in the reimbursement requested".
So, I guess that construction debris for all manufacturers will always be a factor when building a coach.
And when they built my house.

Peace
Dave

ThomasG

Had several issues on our first camping trip aswell. a few seconds after the furnace was running for the first time, the smoke alarm went off. Removed the cover and found lots of sawdust, metal shavings and the round cut out pieces like in a previous picture. Wallpaper peeling off, nails sticking out, drawers open when driving, jack not going all the way up, battery contact not tightened, gas bottles only half full (were promissed to be full), Screws in windows overtorqued and broken off....... shipped it right back to the dealer and it`s still there, 4 weeks now. Nothing but lousy craftsmanship, i'm disappointed.

n2snow2

what little time i have owned my new 2012 silverado. its been at the dealer for 2 diffrent times for they say minor problems first time for 3 and a half months this time for a awning motor for three weeks.i finally get to pick it up tomarro gonna go stay in a camp grounds for a couple weeks. then the factory wants it back. problems with pinbox flex pulling seams apart.there paying for shipping. but seems to me there using up my warrenty time.let alone wear and tear on tires stuff like that...sorry just venting..............

DuaneG

Our unit is back at the shop. I spoke to the tech yesterday and they ordered a new converter, ceiling fan, and wallpaper. They are adding cut off valves to the outdoor shower so I can turn it off when not using it. Don't want to have that blow up again.

I think all the fuse issues were because the converter was not working, but they are going to recheck all electrical before I pick it up. They put a rush on it and started working on it the next day. Maybe because the rush of summer is over. Not sure but glad they are addressing it.

I still believe the pre delivery inspection was a joke, but no reason to dwell on it. It wouldn't be an issue if it was checked and rechecked at the factory. I really do like this floor plan, so hopefully my next trip will be better.

DuaneG

N2snow2,

Is that pin box flex you mentioned a recall or something the dealer noticed. I am not sure what it is and if it is something I can look for.

n2snow2

i dont know of any recall. dealer said hes never heard of it before. but i dont think the dealers even look at this web site or just playing dumb. but sure see alot of it on this forum mine split the seem that runs trim under the cap along the right side. around and down the curve. the first time the dealer recalked it but when you hook up or drive down the road it would split the caulking. i dont think you should have to reseal it every time we use it. i really like the bighorn rv but i must have got a bad one. picked it up from dealer today going to stay at lake for couple weeks. to see if wireing problems are fixed. after that its going to factory. to get frame flex fixed. and whatever else i can think of. ive also made up my mind that if it isnt fixed when it comes back i will not sign off or except it. i also purchased extended 7 warranty but i think heartland should extend my 1 year bumper to bumper for another 4 months. because thats how long its been sitting at dealer to get things fixed dealer says waiting on parts or waiting for heartland. to get back to them. and im not bashing heartland or my dealer im just stating the facts...................thanks....

DuaneG

Or maybe they should make it a 2 year warranty like Jayco. I hope you enjoy your trip.

CeeCee

Sorry to hear about all of your problems. We just purchased a 2012 Elkridge & have had numerous problems with it also. They replaced the one axle, had water coming in 2 slides. Had to realign one slide you could see outside when slide was pulled in. Also had to install new motor for rear stabilizers, front storage compartment wouldn't open & fix moldings. I hope everything is fixed now!! Thank god for Harold RV in Bath, Pa. they did a great job (considering we purchased the RV while in South Carolina). We also had problems with our 2011 North Trail when we first got it. I am convinced that all RV's have some type of problems the 1st year. It shouldn't be that way for the money you pay. I hope they fix everything for you. I had originally called Heartland regarding the axle & spoke with a technician. He was a lot of help & couldn't have been easier to deal with. But I have to give most of the credit to Harolds RV for really helping us out with our warranty work. Good luck to you!