how to power my entertainment center from inverter

Jimalberta

how do you guys get power from your inverter ( mine is in the front storage compartment by the battery bank ) to your entertainment center. I know I can plug the entire RV into the inverter and then start shutting off fridge, hot water tank and A/C - heating unit but probably all I'm ever going to use the inverter for is to power the entertainment center and computers when boondocking.

Any tips on how YOU did it?

thanks
Jim

brianharrison

I split my AC distribution with a sub panel that is run off my inverter. It also has a transfer switch to pass through AC while on shore power. Microwave, plugs are on sub panel.

An easy solution would be to run separate power from inverter to ent, area and plug entertainment centre in.

Brian

Jimalberta

Hi Brian....yes I have thought about running a power cord to the entertainment center from the inverter however that won't be easy as the EC is in the slide at the rear and inverter is at the front.:confused:

caissiel

I have installed a 3 way switch on the one circuit powering my TV, PC and slide plugs and a plug in the basement. The inverter plugs in the plug with a double male extension which is actualy not real safe and I am carefull. One plug with the switch closed to the panel and slides will power the converter and slides from the powerplant. The other plug while the switch is connected only the slide will power from the converter.

I always plug my extension on the no power side first before pluging it on the inverter and the Powerplant. One only as I cannot run powerplant and inverter due to common ground problem that blew my 1st inverter. I uses a cheap rebuild 800 watts inverter that truck drivers use to power everything in the cab.

The pic does not show the connection of the power plant that is on the fusepanel side line allowing power to the inverter while powering the one side of the panel. On my unit the converter was on the same side as the slide plugs.

Attachments

• 3 Way Switch..jpg
    3 Way Switch..jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 46

jdfishing

I tried plugging my 1100 watt inverter directly into the main power cord and it immediately showed overload on the inverter, even though I had all of the power draining appliances on propane. Not sure why it did that, unless running the inverter through the converter is not compatable. So now I plug my entertainment stuff into a standard power strip and run an extension cord out the side of the slide to the inverter located up front. I do the same with the TV in the bedroom.
My inverter doesn't have a remote so it's kinda a pain to go outside and turn it on/off.

I'm looking for a 2000 watt inverter with a wireless remote if anyone has any suggestions on a good model.

wdk450

Jim:
I installed my inverter at the battery bank in the front compartment, wired a 2nd power switch in paralell with the inverter's power switch, and plugged an 50 foot outdoor extention cord into the inverter output receptacle. I ran both of these cables through the storage compartment into the laundry chute under at the top of the stairs. That way I have an indoor switch to turn on the inverter, and a long cord I can run inside the rig to any appliance, or run out a window to the trailer main power supply cord (adapted down to 15 amps. Of course if running into the main power cord, I turn off the converter breaker, and do not use any high current 110 volt devices. This setup also makes it pretty easy to move the main power cord to my generator, which rides in my truck. I have a 30 amp extention cord and a 30 Amp - 15 Amp adapter.