Tongue storage box.

Has anyone seen or ever thought of putting a storage box behind the propane tanks? I was thinking of moving the tanks ahead and buying a rubbermaid tough tote. Fastening it to the frame and isolating the battery to one side of it and have the other end sealed off for storage. I know it willl change the tonque weight a bit but not a huge concern. I would have anything heavy in it anyway. Maybe for our life jackets or something. Always need extra room for something

ZNK

I have two batteries. This would not be possible. No room. Plus how would you protect this from the elements?

PeternLiane

I also have two batteries on mine. I can see how it can work with one. If it works for you I don't why not. I know for me I want one that I can put on the back pull out bumper.

BorgX

I have one on mine (a 21FBS). I removed the battery, cut a 2x6 to the correct length and filled the area where the battery was to have even height, bought a box from Lowes and then bolted it to the 2x6 I used to fill in the battery space. I mounted the battery inside the box. I drilled 8 "breathing" holes for the battery on the underside of the "handles" for the box. The battery took just under half of the storage width, but I have plenty of room for my blocks for the tongue, hitch, etc.

21FBSstorage.jpg

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
This is the box we installed on our last North Trail travel trailer. Purchased from Lowes for about $35. I also welded a small battery tray to one of the metal supports inside. Worked great for one battery and all of our leveling blocks and wheel chocks.

Attachments

• 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    583 KB · Views: 214
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 227

BorgX

This is the box we installed on our last North Trail travel trailer. Purchased from Lowes for about $35. I also welded a small battery tray to one of the metal supports inside. Worked great for one battery and all of our leveling blocks and wheel chocks.
That is the exact box on mine... :)

Only difference is I have mine turned around. I know why yours is in that direction, but I wanted to get to my locks easier. It doesn't fly open or anything either.

CliffP

Looks nice!

ZNK

With two batteries this would not be very helpful. I already have my batteries in battery boxes. But it would be hand if the box was taller to store the wood blocks, chaulk blocks, and leveling pads.

TheLindsays

Check out this thread... it is our new Torque.. we have very limited storage so this really helped get all the dirty outdoor stuff in one place and lock up our battery.. and it matches the trailer too :).. we got it at Sears on sale... is really for the bed of a pickup truck but works perfect and has a good locking system.

aluminum storage box

Last edited:

goducks11

I used the same box on my 26LRSS. Works great. I also store my gloves, battery charger and other things. I have two 6v golf cart batteries in mine. Also put a battery disconnect switch on the passenger side.
sparetire001-1.jpg

ZNK

This is an excellent idea. Is the Torque a new TT line from Heartland? Haven't heard of it before...

Checkerplate box looks great. Not sure if i have that much room. I need something 18-19 inches wide and 36-42 long. I may go with a rubbermaid tote and secure the lid on the ends with tie down straps

smp2000

I just added a box to mine. I moved the propane tanks forward and used 4 tall heavy duty shelf brackets so i can leave the battery as is and the box over top. This allowed me to still access the battery with the lid on the battery box, but prevents the battery from being removed without removing the storage box. I needed that because I store it in an rv storage lot and don't want it to disappear. The box is 36"Lx20"Wx15"D... I paid $100 for the box on craigslist and about $28 for the brackets and self taping screws.

Attachments

• 20130103_115005.jpg
    20130103_115005.jpg
    802.7 KB · Views: 225
  • 20130103_114957.jpg
    20130103_114957.jpg
    794.3 KB · Views: 196
  • 20130103_112102.jpg
    20130103_112102.jpg
    834.3 KB · Views: 199

priorguy

Great idea and good way to add some additional weight to the tongue. The box matches up perfect with the "diamond plate" on the front of the trailer too. Awesome job smp2000.

CeeCee99

Cool. I see DeeZee makes tongue boxes, but not sure if it fits on tongues with propane tanks. They have general boxes that might fit, too. Cool idea!