Engel M80 chest freezer

r4man2

I'm preparation for going FT, DW would like an additional freezer. Found the Engel MT80, which hold 85 quarts and is supposed to be efficient to run in a 12v world.

Does anyone use one or perhaps know someone who does?

Thanks

Rick and Lynn Foreman

jpmorgan37

Rick;

We have a Magic Chef 5.1 cu ft chest freezer that we carry with us. When we park for a few months, it comes out and is under the front or in our little 6 x 10 trailer. When we are on the road, it sits in front of the L in the kitchen. We love it because it allows us to make good buys on stuff that we can't get every where-Like Taylor Pork Roll and Scrapple in Pennsylvania. Can't get it in Texas.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I know you mentioned a 12V freezer so this may not be of interest. We bought an Avanti 3.2 cu.ft. chest freezer from www.compactappliance.com and it fits nicely in the closet where the washer would go. Works great and isn't too heavy. This site may also have something else of interest to you.

madigand

We purchased this freezer and it fits in the closet where the washer/dryer would go. It freezes really hard and we have had no problems when traveling. http://www.conns.com/cf97w.html. I know it is not a 12 freezer but sure is a lot cheaper and holds more. Really good for stocking up on sale items.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Rick, while I like the size of the Engel MT80, it's a bit spendy. Don and I want to put a small 110 freezer in our laundry closet like some of the others mentioned.

That being said, have those of you that put a freezer in your laundry closet had any trouble with air circulation? Mfg's suggest that fridges and freezers should have plenty of air flow around them, so we were concerned about having one in an enclosed area.

Sheri

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I cut a piece of 3/4" plywood to fit the floor where the W/D would have gone. I then made some spacers for the back and left side of the freezer to keep it between 2 and 3 inches from the back and left side walls. I screwed the spacers to the plywood flooring on the left side and rear and also on the left and back wall a couple of feet up from the floor. When we travel, I have a strap attached to keep it positioned against the spacer blocks. It doesn't move and so far seems to work fine. I've felt the sides and back for warmth and there is none. I put the plywood on the floor for a base so the carpet wouldn't block any air flow also.

v92c

Texan
Upright Freezer

My FIL has a 7.5 cu ft upright freezer in his washer/dryer area. I have been checking Craigslist for one like that for us also.

madigand

no problem with air flow on mine. We usuall leave each sliding door ajar and stays same temp in closet as room