Towing Help Needed 300C

Hello, We are getting ready to purchase a 2013 Cyclone 300C and a new Chevy Diesel truck to tow it. The truck is a Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel 6.6L with the Allison Transmission. From what I've read, it's rated to pull about 17,000 lbs. Dry weight of the 300C is 11,000 and some change. Will this truck be strong enough to pull it once it's loaded? Want to ensure we have enough power but would like to avoid the 1 ton if possible.

Thank you for your advice! We are looking forward to being Heartland owners in October!

danemayer

Hi Melissa,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. You'll find a lot of useful information here and no shortage of help from other owners.

As to your truck selection, depending on the actual configuration, the Chevy 2500 probably has enough towing capacity to pull a 300C that has a GVWR of 16,000 (that's the more relevant number because it's going to be much closer to the loaded weight than would be the dry weight).

HOWEVER, the more important spec in your case is the payload on the truck vs. the pin weight of the trailer.

The 300C dry pin weight is 2900. That's probably more than the total available payload on the Chevy 2500. In addition to pin weight, you have to consider passengers, tools, hitch weight, bed lining, bed cover, and anything you throw in the bed. I'm sure you would want to at least move up to a Chevy 3500. It has the same engine and transmission, but the payload is going to be much higher and will do a much better job of accomodating your 300C without overloading. The cost difference between a 2500 and 3500 is around $1000 and is well worth it.

One of our Heartland owners has developed a website to help you evaluate how well the truck and trailer are matched. Here's a link.

GOTTOYS

I agree get the 3500. You won't notice much if any difference in anything except its' ability to haul more weight. I believe everything between the two trucks is the same except the rear suspension. I doubt that the difference in price is a few hundred dollars or less...Don