My New FlagPole Buddy..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well I just got my Flag Pole Buddy and flags for the back of my Bighorn. I was wondering how many of you have one of these? I got mine mounted, it is a 16ft. Put it on the right side of my ladder which is the opposite side it is made for. I have an Antenna mount on the left of my ladder and did not want to move it.

I like the rig but have a couple of questions. Has anyone had the top sections drop down. (I haven't but just asking). They are secured by friction while the bottom tow are secured by a pin through the pole. Have you had a pin come out? I was thinking of putting a rubber type cap on the end of the pins. The Rescue Tape came to mind.

DSC_2061M.jpg DSC_2061MZ.jpg

BC

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Friction has always held mine tightly. I don't even worry about trying to engage the bottom ones. I've had it up in some pretty high winds too.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Friction has always held mine tightly. I don't even worry about trying to engage the bottom ones. I've had it up in some pretty high winds too.

Do you mean you didn't put the pins in and just used the friction of the poles? Thanks for the reply.

BC

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have the 16ft as well Bob. Ours soesn't have a pin though. That must be something new and improved. Ours rarely collapses. If it does, I just pull it a little harder while extending. Never a problem collapsing either.
I did have one break though, I was too lazy to get out of bed to take it in.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
We have the 16ft as well Bob. Ours soesn't have a pin though. That must be something new and improved. Ours rarely collapses. If it does, I just pull it a little harder while extending. Never a problem collapsing either.
I did have one break though, I was too lazy to get out of bed to take it in.

You are talking about a heavy wind. Did it break at the top or near the bottom? I will have to remember that.. Thanks Ray.

BC

boatto5er

Do you mean you didn't put the pins in and just used the friction of the poles? Thanks for the reply.

BC

I have an older version 22 footer. It has spring loaded "buttons" on the bottom two sections that are supposed to engage corresponding holes in the section below. Never use them. Just let friction do its thing. I have seen mine "bend" at least 45 degrees in a stiff wind (with two flgs attached).

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
You are talking about a heavy wind. Did it break at the top or near the bottom? I will have to remember that.. Thanks Ray.

BC
It broke right at the top mount. The second section from the bottom. They don't sell replacement sections either, I had to buy the whole pole. I've saved the other sections just in case.

sjs731

I have had my top section drop down. My own fault I think from not pulling it out far enough. Caps on the pins would a good idea. Mine usually fall out when putting it together but once it's up I haven't had a problem with the pins. Handles heavy wind just fine.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ucwinters

Have the 16 footer - haven't had the top section collapse while in use. Bottom pins usually stay in place BUT might tend to work their way out. Got the solar powered LED light disc off of Ebay to use on top of the flagpole - looks nice at night.
Used the flagpole at Rockport earlier this month in high coastal winds - no problems.

GOTTOYS

I have the 22 footer. It works great. Mine has pins on the lower 3 sections never had a problem with it. I don't usually leave it up when there are high winds..Don

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
We have the 22 ft and love it. No problems at all. We found a solar flag pole light at Lowes for around $26.00. It mounts below the flags and works well.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
We have the 22' pole with two flags and the Solar light on top and have had no major problems. My lower two pins were often knocked loose when I installed the pole but velcro strips from Home Depot, thru the end rings, took care of that. I had some pretty strong winds when we were in Navarre, Florida when a storm came through but it came through it perfect. The instructions point out that the mounting brackets are to be mounted as far apart as possible to help prevent breakage.

We love it ! !

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Re: My New FlagPole Buddy.. Now what about the Flags..

Thanks for all the posts. What I would now like to know is what type of flag(s) you fly and where did you purchase it. The new ones I am using now are a light weight nylon. I bought the Texas flag, the US flag came with the pole. I am not sure how long they will last.

I have a Polyester US flag. It got caught on something and is torn on the corner & the red has faded to an orange. I am not happy about this.

I bought my Polyester flag at the http://www.onlinestores.com/flag-store.html. The site is also shown as http://www.united-states-flag.com/state.html store when you go to the US Flags.

What is the difference between a regular flag and a Valley Forge flag. The Valley Forge is a bit more expensive. When my new flags wear out I am planning to get a new one that is Nylon rather than Polyester.

I was talking to someone earlier that said they replace their flag almost every year. I hope a nylon will last longer.

Thanks again for your comments.

BC

sjs731

Light nylon flags fly with less wind. I have a double sided polyester flag and there has to be a pretty good wind to fly it straight out.

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatto5er

When in state or at rallies I fly the US flag and the HOC flag, both light nylon. Have had for over 2 years, no tears or fraying yet. When out of state I fly the US flag and the Virginia flag (just to be annoying:rolleyes:).

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
When I get to Boerne for the South Texas rally next week, I'm going to Tweety's to see if I can find a deal on a flag pole.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've had the 12ft. FlagPoleBuddy set for a couple of years, now. Got the solar light for it last spring. But it looks like the mounting hardware has changed. My lower "socket" is deeper and does not need any pins to hold the pole. And the upper bracket is mounted 90 deg. from the way yours is, so I insert the pole over the roof and then rotate it towards the rear cap to insert it in the lower mounting. But it's kept "Old Glory" flying in some fairly stiff breezes without coming off.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
Re: My New FlagPole Buddy.. Now what about the Flags..

Thanks for all the posts. What I would now like to know is what type of flag(s) you fly and where did you purchase it. The new ones I am using now are a light weight nylon. I bought the Texas flag, the US flag came with the pole. I am not sure how long they will last.

I have a Polyester US flag. It got caught on something and is torn on the corner & the red has faded to an orange. I am not happy about this.

I bought my Polyester flag at the http://www.onlinestores.com/flag-store.html. The site is also shown as http://www.united-states-flag.com/state.html store when you go to the US Flags.

What is the difference between a regular flag and a Valley Forge flag. The Valley Forge is a bit more expensive. When my new flags wear out I am planning to get a new one that is Nylon rather than Polyester.

I was talking to someone earlier that said they replace their flag almost every year. I hope a nylon will last longer.

Thanks again for your comments.

BC

I fly a US flag, bought with the FlagPole Buddy and a Texas flag of the same material. I have a Heartland flag I plan on flying at the Boerne Rally next week. I have had them approximately 10 months - no problems.:cool: