Toronto to Orlando Early March 2013

blong

We are planning a trip to the Florida Disney Camping park in late Feb Early March and are looking for some advice. This will be our first big trip with our trailer and we are looking for tips on the best route to take and where to stay along the way. Also really concerned about getting out of snow country hauling 18K. We were thinking of a coastal route so we could hit Ocean lakes along the way as we are taking our golf cart with us and it sounds like a fun place. Other than that, we have no idea what routes are the best and what parks are open for us to stay at along the way. We are hoping to do the run over 3 days each way to keep the daily drive to about 8 hours.
Also any tips on which spots to avoid in the Disney Park.

jnbhobe

Quickest way to get out of the weather is I-90 to I-79 south. A long first day will get you south of Pittsburgh. Buffalo to Erie is always iffie and 40 miles south on 79. Just have to watch the weather.

ghosst666

a little expensive on the small piece of tollway to erie from buffalo ..i think like 14-15 dollars for the 40 or so miles.they charge us the commercial rate. ,but down 79 to 19 south to beckly on to 77 to columbia and down thru myrtle beach if desired..

blong

Thank for the advice folks. Trip is booked Leaving Ajax (30 min East of TO) Feb 28th. Doing 8 days in Disneys Fort Wilderness. Still wondering what the roads will like crossing at Kingston and how far down hwy 81 we need to go so we de-winterize safely. Only one driver so we are planning to do a day stopover in the middle each way at Ocean lakes SC (and so we can hit the beach). This route makes the most sense but I can still change if more experienced folks feel the roads will bad on this route. ?

Speedy

Your dewinterize question can only be answered based on the weather. The storms that have rolled thru the South (Alabama & Georgia) have brought rain and freezing rain depending on how far South your are. I'd keep it winterized as long as you can until you can be sure the temps support adding water.

ILH

Thank for the advice folks. Trip is booked Leaving Ajax (30 min East of TO) Feb 28th. Doing 8 days in Disneys Fort Wilderness. Still wondering what the roads will like crossing at Kingston and how far down hwy 81 we need to go so we de-winterize safely. Only one driver so we are planning to do a day stopover in the middle each way at Ocean lakes SC (and so we can hit the beach). This route makes the most sense but I can still change if more experienced folks feel the roads will bad on this route. ?

Its always a gamble - just keep an eye on the weather and be prepared to stop along the way. Never push it too hard. Good luck to you. Nice to see a fellow east-GTA member!

jjriker

We are in NY in the Albany area, planning to head south next week. We will be heading south along 81 and our first stop will be at Twin Grove Campground in PA which is open year round. We will also be overnighting in Salem VA.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

blong

We are thinking of staying overnight in the KOA in GettyBurg PA the first night, anyone know if they have overnight spots with year round water?

blong

So we have found that almost all the parks are closed for the winter so we are thinking of stopping overnight in the flying J truck stop near Harrisburg PA. As we have not done this before we were wondering if this a good idea or not? Any tips? This particular location advertises RV lanes and overnight RV parking.

danemayer

Trucks run their engines all night. If there's one next to you, you'll need earplugs. Better if there's a separate area for RVs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

blong

Very true, did not think about that, thanks... Starting to think we might have do a hotel the first night on the way down. There are a few campgrounds that open at the beginning of March so the trip home we should be able to book a spot alot easier.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I just now picked up on your post. IMHO It looks like your plan to drive 8 hours a day and make it to Orlando in 3 days is not realistic. We've driven from Flint, MI to Myrtle Beach, as well as Orlando and it's a long two days. That's not dragging a trailer and with two drivers. Be safe and plan at least one more day for transit.

ILH

Trucks run their engines all night. If there's one next to you, you'll need earplugs. Better if there's a separate area for RVs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Even in a dedicated RV section, at this time of year, you're likely to run into owners running their generators all night to power their furnace. There's no guarantee of silence.

blong

Thanks for the advice. This will be our third year making the run To Disney. On our first two trips, We did take the dually but were only pulling a small enclosed cargo trailer, so pulling the big rig will be added stress for sure. In Early Feb 2011, we did two day runs either way and your are absolutely right, that was two very long days and then your are wiped out once you get there. So in early March 2012, we did 3 Days each way, and that seamed to work just fine for us. We are planning on doing 3 days driving again again this year but adding a full day stopover in Mytle beach to break it up a bit more. I do honestly enjoy driving so that makes it a lot easier to take. We are also tracking a few additional spots along the way based on 4 days so we can change it up if the drive is too much.

blong

Trip was awesome. 3 days driving plus 3 days in Ocean lakes in Myrtle Beach on the way down and 4 days driving plus 2 days in OL Myrtle Beach on the way home. Fort Wilderness in Disney, is a beautiful campground. We stayed 10 days. They actually come after each camper leaves and clean the spot including power washing the parking pad. A Little tight backing in the 42 foot fiver but very comfortable and friendly in the 800 loop. We will definitely be going back next year. Thanks to all for the advice. We did stay in 3 Flying J's overnight, trick we found is to get in early as by 8 pm they are usually full and you will have park over with the trucks in the back as opposed to with the RV's in the front. A little noisy but for grabbing some sleep it was fine and felt much safer than a highway rest stop. Next year we will plan our fuel stops all the way in advance, aside from the truck stops, most regular gas station were way too tight for our rig.