And yet another tow rating question....

SCPOBob

In going through my owners manual (2005 2500HD Silverado , 6.6,4x4, Ext Cab, long box) it indicates my towing capacity is 12,000lbs...however Trailer Lifes 2005 towing guide is showing 12,000(16,000) capacity, with the value in paranthesis being for a fiver.

Now my question: Does anyone know where Trailer Life came up with the 16,000lb rating for fifth wheel? And is this correct?

The reason I am asking is the Mrs and I are interested in several of the Heartland Toy Haulers (TQ321/RW30C/CY300C/CY3110) and this will obviously "weigh" into the desicion.

Thanks.

caissiel

There are many factors that limits the trailer pulling capacity of a truck. The major one for the 2004 is that cooling system that is way less capable then the 2005 on up. I was going to buy a 2004 and at the time the 2005 was much better truck to buy to haul heavy trailer. I settled for a F250 with 6.0L engine and with the BC I am glad that I did at the time 5 years ago.

I think if you upgrade to 2005 and up cooling rad and fan you can tow with less heat problems. You can go ahead but you will have to watch the coolant temperature. The mechanical has also improved on the 2005 like the stronger transmission with 6 speed. My experience with GM is that the 2500 has better carrying capacity them my F250 so I had to improve the rear springs.

GOTTOYS

A lot of trucks have a large towing capacity...if it's a travel trailer you want to tow....Towing a fifth wheel you must pay particular attention to the pin weight vs. how much weight you can haul, not what you can tow. Look at your trucks available rear axle weight capacity and see if any of the listed trailers will work. Remember the advertised pin weight is usually the empty weight and is not what the pin weight will be when fully loaded. It's all in the numbers...Don

SCPOBob

Ugh....so confusing, so I looked at the rear axle weight capacity (don't recall the number but it was inline), manual stated hitch pin maximum (3500lbs) and compared it to the hitch pin weights on the units we are interested in....and I should be okay with any of the rigs above. I was just wondering how Trailer Life came up with their numbers and how they compared to the Owners manual. I guess the only way to be sure is to refer to the axle capability and the pin weight as GotToys states.....thanks all.