3.73 Gears

Cheryl

Anyone out there pulling their Landmark/Bighorn with 3.73 gears? How is that working for you?

Fordsd250

I am pulling a BH 3500 #393 with a 2000 F250 Super Duty with 373 gears and pulls just like my Montana. No problems so far.

Cheryl

Thanks for the reply. I see the Landmark is heavier than the Big Horn, but I think we are going to go ahead a purchase the truck. We had ordered it with 4.10 gears (or so we thought). Somehow, whether through the salesman's goof or the assembly, it came in with 3.73. The build sheet for the truck has the wrong info on it.

Gary F

3.73's with my 3200RL Bighorn in tow. TV is a single wheel F-350. I am actually 19,800 lb heading down the highway with wifey and our 70 lb golden retriever. Ford's GCVW max rating is 20,000 lb and I have 200 lb breathing room.

No issue with towing in the mountains or running up and down the east coast. I get between 10~12 MPG towing and 17~18 MPG truck only.
Not bad for a 7600 lb truck.

Dusty

I tow my Big Horn 3500 with a 3.76 rear end. Pullled that puppy up a 2 mile, very crooked 10% grade recently. It wasn't all that speedy, but it did the job with no problem/

Dusty

Cheryl

Turns out with the new manual transmission (Getrag), you can't get 4.10 gears. We brought the truck home today, don't think there will be any problem with towing!

BluegrassMan

Gears ? 3:54 in mine

Way back when I bought my truck 96,(yes I know I'm due for a NEW one)!!!! All that Dodge affered was 3:54 and 4:10's. At the time I had a 32' Yellowstone, I never thought that I would have a HEAVY 5th wheel, well I had a 98 Sea Breeze @ around 14k on the road, Now I have a Grand Canyon with Granite in it. I havent weighed it yet, I wish I had 4:10s now, 3:54s do ok with the V-10, diesels weren't as powerfel back then so I went with the V-10.

I still do pretty good on hills, 4:10s would be better. Thatls my $.02 worth.:D

Cheryl

Our old one is a 96, but a diesel. It is an automatic which is what caused us problems when towing the Golden Gate. If you do upgrade, get the 4.10 gears if getting an automatic. It is only $50 more. If you are getting a manual, you can't get them and you won't need them. Contrary to what dodge.com says, the new 6-speed 3.73 will pull more than 13250lbs.

Last edited: