Double Towing

Wharton

Is anyone Double Towing? We drive and MDT so weight is not a problem. We are thinking about adding a receiving hitch(having it welded on) to the BH 3670 and towing a CRV. Is the frame strong enough to do this. I understand I would void the Lippert frame warranty but I figure it has expired anyway. More concerned about the safety and feasibility.

danemayer

CRV as in Honda CRV automobile? Probably not a good idea. You should also look into state laws to see where it would be prohibited.

ihsolutions

I have considered double towing our pair of jetskis over this past summer. I researched my state's (Michigan) recreational double towing laws and while it is permitted, there is a 65' total length restriction which exists in many states.

I spoke to some state trooper friends and some local law enforcement. Each was aware that double towing was legal, but none had any idea there was a length limitation. They said the only way you'd get pulled over is if the highway patrol (forgot the groups specific name) that enforces weight limits and everything related to truckers would happen to notice.

Still, at 73' combined length I never took the chance. I do not think I would tow a vehicle though. Why? Because when you turn your fifth wheel, with the overhang past the rear trailer axle, the rear of the trailer can swing out quite a bit depending how sharp you are turning. If I'm imagining it correctly, this wouldn't work well pulling something like a car -- wouldn't it want to "drag" the front of the vehicle from left to right during turns?

Wharton

I see a fair amount of double towing on the road and haven't read/heard about any problems. I have only heard of one person being stopped for length. I know to tow you need to put on a brake buddy and do something with the drive train. I am just curious if anyone has double towed. Is the frame strong enough? Technical issues. We would like to tow 4 on the floor but would consider a trailer. I see many cars beting towed 4 on the floor, including CRVs. Just beginning to research all this.

ihsolutions

I've seen plenty of cars being towed 4-on-the-floor as you said, but I've never seen a car be towed by a 5th wheel that I can recall. It's always been behind a motorhome, which has it's rear axles very close to the back of the coach which would eliminate any tail swing.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I assume you're thinking about a Blue Ox tow system to pull the CRV. That may present some electrical issues (not sure you could just tap off the trailer tail/brake/turn lights). Also, I don't think the trailer frame will support pulling over 2000 lbs. It just wasn't designed for that.

jbeletti

Sue and Tom,

Im sure Heartland and Lippert both would not recommend it.

That said, I've seen this done before with Heartland products. I've seen small cars/trucks towed 4-down. A dolly would add more weight to the frame than you'd want. I've also seen single and dual swivel wheel trailers attached to Heartland products, with motorcycles on them.

So - I'm not condoning or suggesting any of it - just letting you know what I have seen. Not sure if any of them have had trouble with doing this. It would be great to get feedback from those who have had experience doing any of this.

RoadJunkie

I don't want to steer this thread towards a question of whether or not to double tow and we have considered double towing for our trailer loaded with a UTV; Utah has quite a few of these configurations moving up and down the road. I decided it was just way too long and one more thing to stress about while towing. To begin with, I looked at the rear sections of the 5'er frame (which, by the way is also a 3670) and decided any type of hitch would interfere with the rear levelers. Also, the dynamic moment to the frame--caused by the tongue wight--seemed to be to much for the overhang distance from the rear axle. So, we decided not to tow the UTV and, if we go RVing for an extended period of time, we will drive our vehicle behind the RV and "convoy" to/from our destination. This solution only makes sense for shorter distances, but it removes any discomfort due to uncertainty of frame stresses on your rig while double towing.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We have seen double towing of a golf car,(have neverseen a car double towed) many times coming in and out of Ocean Lakes cg in Myrtle Beach,SC. We have a friend that did it without any problems up until a couple years ago. And this problem wasn't due to the frame. He was a few miles from the cg headed home when the SC Motor carrier guy pulled him over and gave him a $100.00 fine. My friend lives in N.C. and was told by the officer that double towing was illegal in SC but legal in NC. I have considered double towing myself, but I get conflicting answers from the officials I have talked to. The HP tells me yes with the proper endorsements on my license. He didn't know which endorsements I needed. I checked with my drivers license office and they didn't know of any thing I needed. The drivers license office spoke with the NC motor carrier guy and he says no. So we have chosen not to take the chance.

ihsolutions

I find it very hard to believe that the various branches of government do not know what the others require.

Yes that was sarcasm, in case you missed it! :)

fljlcw

We double tow our smart car behind our 3580 and yes it is allot of stress on everything when turning alignments and front tires take A real beating so we now put it on A 10 foot single axle trailer the car wieghs 1800 lb and the trailer about 600lb I wouldnt tow anymore weight than that and yes we are over 70ft long but havent had any trouble in NM,CO,WY,TX OK AR,TN,KY, IN, or Mo.

Wharton

Why did the front tires take a beating? i thought if you left the ignition in Accessory that would unlock the steering wheel and the front tires would turn OK.

wehavefun

There is a restriction on length but not on interstates, once you leave interstates your going to be in violation in most states.

Your endorsement would be for doubles and triples, however not sure how that will work without a class A licence.

The tire wear is because of the exaggerated swing on corners because if such a long overhang. There has to be a lot of twisting force applied to the fifth wheel frame while turning / dragging the car around corners. A trailer with a long tongue would work better, but you still asking for trouble I think, especially for people that have had little over the road experience.

porthole

Retired
Why did the front tires take a beating? i thought if you left the ignition in Accessory that would unlock the steering wheel and the front tires would turn OK.

Make a left turn. The trailer behind the rear axles is swinging right, trying to drag a flat towed car to the right while being pulled to the left.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have pulled our golf cart behind our 1st Big Country 3250 without any problems. The dealership had a heavy duty hitch installed and in the state of TN, double towing is legal as long as you don't exceed the max length.

It was mentioned about a certain type of license for towing in other states which is a commercial driver's license. We didn't get one cuz we mainly pulled within the state.

DSCN0303.jpg

Wharton

I know several people who double tow and while most states have a 65' length restriction(interstates included I believe) I have never heard of the need for a special license. Has anyone else?

danemayer

Class A CDL license for commercial use requires a multi-trailer endorsement in order to tow two or more trailers behind the tow vehicle.

For RVs, to the extent that the data on this website is accurate, in some states "triple towing" is illegal. I think what they call "triple towing" is a tow vehicle plus trailer plus something else.

andy

I have been towing a 3600RL with a (smarttrailer) a brand of trailer with swivel wheels with a golf cart on it for about 4 years with no trouble with coach or authorities . (im probably in trouble now )

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
According to the authorities here in North Carolina a swivel wheel or something similar is legal because it is considered an extension of the fifth wheel camper. We usually only use our golf car 2 weeks out of the year at the beach and we can't justify the cost of the swivel wheel. Our daughter or our son usually pull the golf car to and from the beach for us.