Coiled rv cords

nhunter

Has anyone else thought of getting rid of standard cord between truck and trailer and getting a coiled one and thoughts or disadvantages of doing this. I thought it would be handy to keep cord from getting buried in all the other "treasure" in the box of truck.

jbeletti

Ooh - I like that idea! And rather than hard-wiring it at the pin box, one could install a receptacle there too in order to allow the cord to be removed and stowed when not in use. Especially when it sits at home or the home CG.

I'm getting tired of clearing out have built bird nests form my pin box. If I was able to stop coiling and storing the cord there, I could close that area up - to birds at least.

Thanks for the idea.

Okay - who's first? nhunter? timk? Forrest? You?

jbeletti

Ooh - I like that idea! And rather than hard-wiring it at the pin box, one could install a receptacle there too in order to allow the cord to be removed and stowed when not in use. Especially when it sits at home or the home CG.

I'm getting tired of clearing out have built bird nests form my pin box. If I was able to stop coiling and storing the cord there, I could close that area up - to birds at least.

Thanks for the idea.

Okay - who's first? nhunter? timk? Forrest? You? :eek:

tdharley

Well I really like weekend projects but I have never thought of that. As a matter of fact I just tuck it away inside the pinbox and forget it.

I hookup in the bed so I have no dragging problems.

I just know if I make it removable I will forget it home sooner or later.

Now come up with a good way of rolling up and storing the "Anaconda" (50 amp. shoreline) and I will do it in a minute. Already looked at the electric reel and its just too big, plus real pricey.

ChopperBill

TD, get you one of these 50 amp to 30 amp adaptors I was lucky enough to get a new one on an RV garage sale for $25! 98% of the time I only need 30 amp or that is all that is available anyway. I have a 10 foot and 30 foot 30 amp cord. Much, much easier to handle. I wouldn't have even purchased 50 amp as an option if it wasn't standard as I will never have two A/C's. Matter of fact the only time I tried to use 50amp I heard a pop out of the hook up box when I plugged in and was afraid to use it so I plugged into 30 amp.

tdharley

You know Bill you are right.

As a matter of fact I have a 25' 30 amp extension I am going to cut the end and put a 50 amp female on it.

ct0218

I checked Ryder fleet products and they have a variety of coiled 7 way cords with male connectors for $36 to $76. I'm not sure if the 7 way tractor/trailer connectors and the 7 way RV connectors are the same, I never looked. If so, then all you would need is a female connector hard-wired on the coach. Total extended length 15 ft, $8 shipping, stock item. I saw that it has 6-12, and 1-10 ga wires. There were others available with heavier gauges, hence the higher price.

nhunter

The plug on a tractor has round pins and rv are flat (and both wired different). These guys have coiled cords as well. http://www.varisystems.com/catalogue.cfm?CFID=207041&CFTOKEN=93139251&act=3&vendor=28&category=21%20

I removed factory box and installed Grote waterproof 7 pole junction box part # 82-1000. Here are some pictures of the install (I hope)

On edit: the wires on top are the wires from the coach and the bottom wires are from the truck. And amazingly enough everything still works.

Attachments

• Trailer plug wiring 001.jpg
    Trailer plug wiring 001.jpg
    393 KB · Views: 60
  • Trailer plug wiring 002.jpg
    Trailer plug wiring 002.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Trailer plug wiring 003.jpg
    Trailer plug wiring 003.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Trailer plug wiring 004.jpg
    Trailer plug wiring 004.jpg
    486.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Trailer plug wiring 005.jpg
    Trailer plug wiring 005.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Trailer plug wiring 006.jpg
    Trailer plug wiring 006.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 41
K

Ken Washington

Jim,
What I do is stuff a large beach towel in the pin box to keep birds from building nests. Just pull it out and you are ready to pull!

Ken