Tst 507 tpms

1231ChaseB

Hey Everybody ! I've sat around here beating myself up trying to make up my mind whether to get a TPMS or not ! I got tired of worrying over it and bought one ! Went to the local tire store and got the solid stem's and spent the morning breaking down 6 tire's and installing them ! I'll be at least a week getting over that ! LoL ! I suppose if these thing's warn me at least once it will be worth the price of them ? A friend of mine had a blow out the other day and it did about 1200 dollar's damage ! Not good ! Anybody got any suggestions that don't come with the directions i'd be glad to hear them !
chaseb

wino2

This is one of the best things you will ever invest in. We were towing to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and developed a leak on one of our inside tires on the dually. If not for the TPMS system we would not have know. You will never regret it.

scottyb

+1 on the TST 507. Having real time data on the RV's tires is huge, IMO. It can accommodate up to 22 tires but I only use it for the RV, since the one on my truck works so well.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
+1 on 507. Saved us coming down from Bighorn Mountains of Wyoming.

What I'd tell you is don't get too obsessive watching it. ;) The pressures and temps go up and down all the time, based on driving conditions, position of the sun, outside temps, elevation, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TeJay

Back in 1999 six of us were headed to Canada fishing. We were traveling in our almost new 1999 Dutch Star by Newmar. While going through Kansas City I hit a pothole that literally knocked all my coffee out of my cup but didn't knock the cup over. At the time nothing indicated a problem. Later that day as we were about to leave Iowa the inside rear dual tire destroyed itself and came off the rim. Looking back on it there is no doubt in my mind that the pothole created the leak which eventually destroyed the tire. A TPMS would have prevented that. I don't believe they were even around at that time and for sure they were not as good as those today. When the new camper arrives next week that will be the next investment. It's not a perfect solution and their may be a few problems with them but they are way better than the alternative. As you said all it has to do is save you once and you're way ahead of the game. If you never need it it's good insurance and piece of mind. Always be cautious and just don't become complacent with all the gadgets. LOL

TeJay

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have the TST507 also. Great customer service from them as well. We've had one sensor with issues and they took care of it quickly. One thing I enjoy is the ability to check air pressures without crawling around on all fours. I just turn on the TST first thing in the morning before leaving the site.

PUG

Pug
I put the TST 507 system on my dually pkup and triple axle cyclone 3950 2 1/2 years ago. It caught a leaking tire the first year. A year later on my Carriage it caught a rim crack leaking and then later caught a tire losing pressure very quickly due to a sidewall bulge. Had I not had the system I would of had no doubt a couple of big blowouts. I disagree with one person's comment that a TPMS is of no help in a blow out. If you have a blowout it immediately tells you that you have a problem and you can stop before the remaining tires on that side of the trl get hot and also blowout. Usually blowouts also have a presssure loss prior to blowing out. A TPMS is a godsend and mine has already paid for itself in catching a problem before damage is done to the trailer or pickup.

1231ChaseB

I'm glad i got this thing but they should send a person along with it to help with the set up ! Maybe that little chinaman who wrote the manual ! Anyway i was doing a lot of head scratching before i got done !
chaseb

1231ChaseB

Message for Gord ! Hi, i think it was more me than anything else ! I couldn't figure out whether to put the sensors on the wheel right away or not ! Still not sure about that but i went ahead and introduced them to the monitor here in the house ! ! Probably would have helped if i watched the video ? I also think when you read the instructions that you recognize the "code" word and the "mode" word ! I got them confused a couple times and probably pushed the wrong one ! I also think i rushed it a bit cause i wanted to see it work ! Anyway i think it's working and i keep reading the instructions hoping more info will soak into this old head !
I also think the guy's at TST are so familiar with these thing's that it's second nature to them ! wish i had some helpful hint's for you but i don't !
chaseb

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would recommend anyone that has a 36 foot or more rig, go ahead and invest in the repeater. I was not getting my trailer readings hardly at all, put on the repeater and it is working great. I even put the sensors on my spares, both truck and trailer. Sure is nice being able to monitor all tires from the comforts of my captains chair!

MTPockets

Went to the local tire store and got the solid stem's and spent the morning breaking down 6 tire's and installing them ! I'll be at least a week getting over that !
chaseb

What do you mean "breaking down 6 tires" ...... I thought all you had to do was screw the sensors on the stem....

TeJay

They recently introduced a sensor that can be installed as a replacement for the rim stem. It's a sensor and stem in one unit but as with a tire stem you have to break the tire down to install it. It's probably a good idea but they are kind of pricy. Check out the TST web sight and you can see them. When they talk about the screw on sensors they talk about how light they are and how it won't affect the balance of the tire. Think about it. As little as 1/4 to 1/2 oz can affect the tire balance. So it has to be a design concern for a screw on sensor. My rims have a deep recessed area where the stem is located. I plan on installing a light piece of foam around the stem and sensor to prevent or limit movement of the stem. It may not really be a problem I'll just check it out when its time.

TeJay

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
We have the older version of the 507.in July it saved us damage the sensor showed a heat increase in right rear!! Stop and took a visual only to find wheel about ready to fall off due to a front bearing failure!!! Thank you TST!!:D

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

TeJay

OK here's the complete story on the 507 sensors. There are actually three sensors available. The original screw on sensor which is 12.5 grams in weight and does not require you to install metal stems. They are $100 for two. The flow thru sensor also screws on to your original stem but allows you to fill the tire without removing the sensor. I can't find a separate price for them yet. The third option is an internal sensor ( $79 each) which is similar to those installed from the factory on today's vehicles but it does require you to break down the tire and R&R the original stem and replace it with their metal stem and internal sensor.
According to the information on their sight a metal valve stem is not required for either of the screw on sensors. However when your tires require more than 65 lbs they fall into the high pressure category and do require a metal high pressure stem. Maybe that's why 123ChaseB installed metal stems.

TeJay

mikeandconnie

My low pressure alarm went off last week on a 3000 miles trip on I80. I lucked out and a rest area was 1 mile away. The pressure went from 110 to 80 psi due to a valve stem seal leak. I change the tire before I damaged it thanks to the TST 507.

Gizzy

Highly recommend installing metal valve stems. Had to replace the rubber valve stems due to flexing/cracking. Also, every time I have the tires rotated/balanced I have them balanced with the monitors installed. It just seemed logical to me. Maybe I am going overboard but at least it makes me feel good.

1231ChaseB

Hi All ! Just my opinion about getting the metal valve stems but not only is the tire going around & around it is also getting bumped up and down with the roads the way they are now day's ! I just figured the less movement on the stem the better ???????????????
chaseb